Black Dogs and mental shit in general

link1896

Mr Greenfield
And how long does it take for the medicine to take effect? The one person I know on medication for ADHD says it takes about 4 days for their meds to start working (they normally take them regularly, but ran out for a week and a bit a couple of months back).
In Australia the stimulants available for ADHD treatment are Lisdexamfetamine (brand name Vyvanse), Dextroamphetamine(aka dex), and Methylphenidate(sold under the brand names Ritalin and Concerta).

These are central nervous system stimulants, big daddy of caffeine

They don't take days to become effective, it is a matter of hours. Attached is a blood plasma levels of Lisdexamfetamine and Dextroamphetamine.

Sent from my SM-A145F using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
In Australia the stimulants available for ADHD treatment are Lisdexamfetamine (brand name Vyvanse), Dextroamphetamine(aka dex), and Methylphenidate(sold under the brand names Ritalin and Concerta).

These are central nervous system stimulants, big daddy of caffeine

They don't take days to become effective, it is a matter of hours. Attached is a blood plasma levels of Lisdexamfetamine and Dextroamphetamine.

Well that makes more sense then... Dunno what the feck the person I know takes/reckons then.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Well that makes more sense then... Dunno what the feck the person I know takes/reckons then.
Same as Diazepam vs. SSRIs for anxiety.
Diazepam works quickly whereas SSRIs take a couple of weeks to build up a level where the efficacy is observable.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Stimulants aren't the only treatment, but are far and away the most effective for people weighted towards attention deficit rather than hyperactivity (theres a whole rabbit hole in learning the specific flavour of ADHD you have)

Stimulants stimulate straight away, but I did think I took a little bit to get used to it properly. I was also put on standard dex with an increasing dose and yo-yoing through the day before moving to the slower acting and much MUCH more stable and effective vyvance stuff. Stability was a big factor in using it properly with other tools to get better at life.

I think the other types are anti anxiety based and take longer to become effective, and I was given the impression that it's a lot less effective with people that more need to get their focus back on track than repress spontaneous urges.

...fwiw - I can sit through a meeting or a day in class and retain stuff. I can take notes while listening and I can also usually even remember things from 30 seconds ago. I don't have to try half as hard to not look like a complete dumbass at work. I've still got all the channels of the tv on at once up here, but I can more or less pick which one I'm watching now. I still need to "manually" pull myself back in, it's just a lot easier and less painful if the thing is mind numbingly boring.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Understanding it was probably as important as the meds IMHO
Read up, watch some YouTube videos that agree with you (you know, short ones with cartoons and drawings, not just some dude speaking monotone at you). Best thing I did was find out more about it, lean into the things I could do to help myself and work on working with it rather than fighting it

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Read up, watch some YouTube videos that agree with you (you know, short ones with cartoons and drawings, not just some dude speaking monotone at you). Best thing I did was find out more about it, lean into the things I could do to help myself and work on working with it rather than fighting it
I remember watching a video about executive dysfunction and time diplasia and nodding - yes that's me, yes that's me, er yes that's me...

Among other things it helped explain why my A-level English dissertation consisted of a single piece of A4 paper with a title and my name at the top. And that's all. I got high marks for anything short like poetry critical appraisal but shite for anything that needed real concentration like writing an essay about Tess of the d'Urbervilles.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

We are trying to find the entrance to the rabbit hole for the other two offspring. Fucking impossible to get a diagnosis in these parts, waiting lists are at least two years long. Will probably end up travelling to Adelaide or Melbourne.

The Little Sender is off the charts clever when it comes to physics and engineering and the like, frequently demonstrating understanding of concepts most high school kids can't grasp. He and I were talking in the car about the mechanics of how the length of daylight changes throughout the year, titled axis of the earth and all that, and I said I'd find him a picture or animation when we got home. "No no, I understand" and proceeded to recite it all back to me in his own words. Little Fucker is 11.

Get him to sit still for longer than 3 minutes? Impossible.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Holy shit @Mattyp ! Your latest clip is epic!!!

These dexies...say I needed to go for a run at midnight, will they help me?
Take 40mg dex at the wrong time, and you'll see midnight the next night, then proceed to have a vicious collapse.

The MOST fun to be had is when a married couple both have ADHD, and one has been diagnosed and has meds, and the as of yet formally undiagnosed is given some stimulants. Our psychiatrist laughed and said "well that's the unapproved method of diagnosis. That happens a bit. Tell me what happened."

stimulant drugs intended for adhd treatment are dangerous to those without adhd, hence the restrictions enshrined in each states legislation, due to them being addictive to those who don't need them. Ironically, many adhd sufferers will forget to take them. Having the 5th repeat of a med unfilled before the prescription expires is a clear indicator.

No ADHD discussion is complete without Dr Russell Barkely and Dr Andrew Huberman's commentary.