The QUICK question thread.....

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
An opportunity to buy a 1 x 11 XT groupset just came up (derailleur, 11-46T cassette, chain and shifter).

What do you think is a fair price?

Minlak

custom titis
An opportunity to buy a 1 x 11 XT groupset just came up (derailleur, 11-46T cassette, chain and shifter).

What do you think is a fair price?
How used is it ? I just bought new for $408 delivered - if it’s worn $150 if in good condition $250 if like new $300 - $320 - if the seller is just wanting it gone $100

Minlak

custom titis
How is worn drivetrain worth anything more than zero?
There are degrees of worn and what parts are actually worn - The derailluer and shifter will still usually be fine if the cassette and chain are worn.

I would call 50% worn - over that destroyed is the term I would use

Jpez

Down on the left!
Never understood people buying used drivetrains. Derailleur and shifter sure but chances are all the moving bits are cooked or well on the way to being cooked and there’s no way to know until you get it on your bike and you spend a day re watching you tube drivetrain set up videos trying to workout why it’s shifting like crap. But the seller said it was in good condition!
Second hand drivetrain parts are something I’ll never buy. A sure fire recipe for an upside down smile.

moorey

call me Mia
Never understood people buying used drivetrains. Derailleur and shifter sure but chances are all the moving bits are cooked or well on the way to being cooked and there’s no way to know until you get it on your bike and you spend a day re watching you tube drivetrain set up videos trying to workout why it’s shifting like crap. But the seller said it was in good condition!
Second hand drivetrain parts are something I’ll never buy. A sure fire recipe for an upside down smile.
If I know the seller and their understanding of wear, maybe, but generally, yeah. Peeps tend to leave a chain on until the cassette is completely munted. Can usually get a slightly bent derailleur back running, but it's a gamble. More than ever, people seem to be selling off totally munted stuff, taking advantage of shortages.

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Im honest about the condition and honest with myself - If it is stuffed I throw it out not try and sell it _ but 100% agree see soo many people flogging worn out ones :(

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's not hard to work out when drive lines are stuffed and done a lot of Kms, your large cogs last a long time but the teeth will start going sharp and pointy, the small cogs start to slip under load and the jockey wheels start going to a point when they're old too. Measure the chain for wear. I've rescued a few cassettes by replacing the last two cogs, beats spending on buying it brand new.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I never knew there was a market for used drivetrains but nothing should be surprise anymore after Covid times.

I am still emotionally scarred from seeing FB and Gumtree people flogging off used tyres with '20% wear left in them'.

moorey

call me Mia
I never knew there was a market for used drivetrains but nothing should be surprise anymore after Covid times.

I am still emotionally scarred from seeing FB and Gumtree people flogging off used tyres with '20% wear left in them'.
Market? There's a demand.
Quinn's new bike comes with XT cranks, but GX eagle shifter and derailleur. I was hoping to find someone who will swap out for new shimano, but I just know the douche offers I'll get, so I'll just wear it out then sell it for full RRP and replace.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Market? There's a demand.
Quinn's new bike comes with XT cranks, but GX eagle shifter and derailleur. I was hoping to find someone who will swap out for new shimano, but I just know the douche offers I'll get, so I'll just wear it out then sell it for full RRP and replace.
If it all works fine then you are good for now. Shifter and derailleur is one thing but used cassettes, chains, tyres and grips are the long term consumable stuff that would be more like the stuff I'd think twice about.

moorey

call me Mia
If it all works fine then you are good for now. Shifter and derailleur is one thing but used cassettes, chains, tyres and grips are the long term consumable stuff that would be more like the stuff I'd think twice about.
GX 11sp seems to go well. GX eagle is apparently pretty shite, but will give it a go. Quinn isn't too hard on gear. I wouldn't try it out on Felix.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
GX 11sp seems to go well. GX eagle is apparently pretty shite, but will give it a go. Quinn isn't too hard on gear. I wouldn't try it out on Felix.
Even NX11 works well.

Pull it off and sell from new at covid primo $

You don't have to be hard on gear, the ebike will do that for you.