The QUICK question thread.....

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Never understood people buying used drivetrains. Derailleur and shifter sure but chances are all the moving bits are cooked or well on the way to being cooked and there’s no way to know until you get it on your bike and you spend a day re watching you tube drivetrain set up videos trying to workout why it’s shifting like crap. But the seller said it was in good condition!
Second hand drivetrain parts are something I’ll never buy. A sure fire recipe for an upside down smile.
Agree. Second hand drive trains are a waste of time. I have a box of used cassettes ranging from 8 to 11 speed. ( not sure why I have kept them. Must be my inner pack rat) Some one was advertising on FB a couple of months ago to buy second hand cassettes. Told him to come have a look and make me an offer. He bought a couple for $10 each. He must have some chains he wanted too finish trashing. So people will buy them.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What's the verdict on Nextie rims nowadays?
Still good. I ordered one rim a couple of weeks back, they were super-proactive about letting me know it wasn't currently in stock (didn't actually expect it to be tbh...), an E.T.A, shipping details. That plus the one I ordered late last year still being quality - I have zero complaints.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sunrace do varying degrees of quality, just like the other bit 2. The XD 11sp version has been faultless.....I'm less optimistic about the Aliexpress Garbaruk. I'll be the guinea pig.
I'll be waiting for the Garbaruk report. Worth a roll of the dice anyhow.
My Sunrace has been problem free too.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Cheers, Nextie it is then. Next choice is hubs, was going to go 240 exp, but yeah - not so sure now. :rolleyes:

There's a 240s classic on CRC cheap at the moment but is straight pull.. someone convince me.. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/dt-swiss-240s-mtb-is-sp-disc-brake-rear-hub/rp-prod168831
Uggghh... straightpull :oops:

If you can find 350's, get them. I only got 240's for this build as I was able to get the non EXP rear on special, in 28h/CL/boost/Microspline. It was cheaper than the 350 (that was not in stock) then having to buy the microspline freehub.

I believe 350's do not come in a microspline freehub combo.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Question time:

Is the Manitou Mezzer really the rich fork for @HamboCairns? It seems like a lot of fork for the way he claims to ride and the frame he is on. I think there would be some more suitable options to get him rolling and stoked off the chart...

That hardtail hero's ankles must be fucked! Perhaps that is why he has the bikes up for sale? What Marino is he selling?

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Question time:

Is the Manitou Mezzer really the rich fork for @HamboCairns? It seems like a lot of fork for the way he claims to ride and the frame he is on. I think there would be some more suitable options to get him rolling and stoked off the chart...

That hardtail hero's ankles must be fucked! Perhaps that is why he has the bikes up for sale? What Marino is he selling?
I weigh 105 kg and I'm 195cm tall. @Scotty T knows the terrain I ride now, maybe he can describe it better?

Scotty T

Walks the walk
That doesn't mean a monster fork is the right one... you still pedal this thing right?
The frame is begging for something stiff that can plow, and the bike is light enough to afford the extra grams but running such a big fork at 140mm could be overkill for sure. It can only improve the way he rides, but I concede a Pike/Lyrik or Fox 36 would also do a superb job, and if you could find something in that vein second hand on RB it would be worthy.

Personally, I just love coil forks ever since the old Z1 and if I was upgrading would chuck a Mezzer on the Bronson in a jiffy. The old 130mm Sherman I had was a great fork, I can only imagine a 160 Mezzer would be like that but betterer.

The Cairns terrain has plenty of chunky stuff.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
The frame is begging for something stiff that can plow, and the bike is light enough to afford the extra grams but running such a big fork at 140mm could be overkill for sure. It can only improve the way he rides, but I concede a Pike/Lyrik or Fox 36 would also do a superb job, and if you could find something in that vein second hand on RB it would be worthy.

Personally, I just love coil forks ever since the old Z1 and if I was upgrading would chuck a Mezzer on the Bronson in a jiffy. The old 130mm Sherman I had was a great fork, I can only imagine a 160 Mezzer would be like that but betterer.

The Cairns terrain has plenty of chunky stuff.
I personally would recommend the Durolux, stiffer than the RS or Fox equivalents and a third less the price.