Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Genuine question - why do you want it?

Not actually shit stirring for a change, I still really fail to see the appeal.

Haakon

I used to be that guy, nowadays I'm the rolling roadblock. CBF being in too much of a hurry...
Yeah, I'm way more chill these days. I'll give the Alfa a tickle on the right road, but otherwise it will take as long as it takes.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Test drove this today for about 2 hrs.

3L TT Petrol, 300kw and 0-100 in 5.5 seconds with BFG tyres, thats 0.1 seconds quicker than a Golf GTI.

That 2.5" Fox Live valve suspension sucks up speed bumps like they weren't even there.
The novelty would wear off pretty quick when you are at the servo every 3 days.
Think real world figures are around 13-14L/100km and around 18+ when you actually drive it.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

Not actually shit stirring for a change, I still really fail to see the appeal.
I have a 4yr old Landcruiser 200 that is worth more now than what I paid for it.

To be honest, the 200 is probably a better vehicle but I can lease another vehicle and sell the cruiser, then wipe $90-100k off my mortgage.

Toyota has stopped taking 300 LC orders and the V8 200 is still very sought after, I need to make the decision to either just drive it or cash it in.

We also have no caravan anymore (ca$hed it in too ;) ) so the limited 2.5t towing on the Raptor is plenty.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That additional shit sticker pack is a $500 optional extra :oops:
Wait, people actually pay to have them? Bogans gotta bogan I guess.
Drove a previous gen Wildtrack for a bit late last year and was blown away about how refined and nice it was to drive and despite its size the 47 cameras on it made manoeuvring / parking a breeze. As I said I wouldn't have one if I lived in any capital city but out in the open or in the bush with the ease of just being able to chuck bikes in the back it'd be pretty useful. But the main selling point was they don't feel like an arthritic tractor to drive.

(what I really want is a normal ute, but we don't make them anymore and used ones are stupid money / thrashed / both so this is the next best option)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The novelty would wear off pretty quick when you are at the servo every 3 days.
Think real world figures are around 13-14L/100km and around 18+ when you actually drive it.
Every YouTube video shot of the dash is hanging around 18's when they have been belting it around. The car above I drove today was at 16.9 on the dash with 400km on the clock, so it will get a bit better.

My chipped cruiser gets 13L/100 on nearly every fill and with Diesel at $2.30 and U98 at $1.80, its probably cheaper to run the petrol vehicle at this time.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Coming soon to 1 inch off your rear bumper on the freeway....
The attitude in Brisbane is that if you leave the smallest of gaps, some psycho will try to speed up your left hand side and forcefully squeeze into the gap from the ending lane, then you have to brake and resize your gap again or just tailgate them and be a bigger cunt than what they are. :)

Haakon

I have a 4yr old Landcruiser 200 that is worth more now than what I paid for it.

To be honest, the 200 is probably a better vehicle but I can lease another vehicle and sell the cruiser, then wipe $90-100k off my mortgage.

Toyota has stopped taking 300 LC orders and the V8 200 is still very sought after, I need to make the decision to either just drive it or cash it in.

We also have no caravan anymore (ca$hed it in too ;) ) so the limited 2.5t towing on the Raptor is plenty.
Yeah, but why do want one? Sure, cash in the cruiser. But for this money you could buy something good…

Haakon

(what I really want is a normal ute, but we don't make them anymore and used ones are stupid money / thrashed / both so this is the next best option)
Base model 2WD Hilux and spend a bit on lowering it and wheels to help it handle half decently and not look like a wannabe 4WD?

It’s still a prehistoric ladder frame chassis though, so not ideal….

safreek

Yeah it sux to be a tradie and actually need a vehicle that carries what I need to build houses for people like you.
Someone else probably said it already but you must be one of the few that actually use it for work. All the tradies I know use them for surfboards and bikes, true story

cammas

Seamstress
I would love a Ute with decent tub something like the two door Ranger but what they offer is terrible you couldn’t even get carpet on the floor. I don’t need a twin cab as my kids are adults now, I don’t want 4wd as the closest thing to off road is a dirt road for me but I would like some of the extras and carpet would be nice. From what I can see there is no car that fits that bill, currently I don’t own a car at all for the moment and I just use the Mrs minivan that she has for her daycare business which is great for carrying a bike but I would like something I can chuck some sleepers in the back off and not have to fold up the seats etc.
Same as @ozzybmx i salary sacrifice my vehicle, so I’m waiting to for all crap to die down with cars then look what’s available.
Currently a transit van is leading the pack as it has all the features I want, I can haul crap in the pack and take my bike anywhere without fear of it being knocked off while I stop for lunch or fuel.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Wouldn't have one in any capital city but out in the open or in the bush with the ease of just being able to chuck bikes in the back it'd be pretty useful. But the main selling point was they don't feel like an arthritic tractor to drive.
This sums it up for us. We can and do chuck anything in the back. And in this area, with easily avoidable lights and traffic, plus living out of town we average 9ish L/100. And even at 9 years old it's no slouch, I'm not wanting for more grunt.

But driving it in Melbourne last week wasn't the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. It's a manual, by choice, but 1st gear is too short for keeping up with traffic. I would prefer to slip the clutch a few meters more and have the legs to shoot the gap. I definitely wouldn't have one in a city either.

Haakon

[/QUOTE]
This sums it up for us. We can and do chuck anything in the back. And in this area, with easily avoidable lights and traffic, plus living out of town we average 9ish L/100. And even at 9 years old it's no slouch, I'm not wanting for more grunt.

But driving it in Melbourne last week wasn't the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. It's a manual, by choice, but 1st gear is too short for keeping up with traffic. I would prefer to slip the clutch a few meters more and have the legs to shoot the gap. I definitely wouldn't have one in a city either.
I’ve had to drive 70 series cab chassis in the city, that’s a whole lot of not fun… They’re a bloody riot following bulldozers through gullies though!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Someone else probably said it already but you must be one of the few that actually use it for work. All the tradies I know use them for surfboards and bikes, true story
That's why I can't let go of my old hilux single cab, saved me a lot of money, it's got an extra long tray and I've had no need to buy or loan a trailer. Last time I carried some fench rails about 4 meters long, tied them to the bullbar and up the side of the door and into the tray. Don't have to root around folding the lawn mower down, and dump a heap of tree offcuts into the back. It's saved me money tenfold. I haven't needed to pay for the delivery of white goods for years.

scblack

Leucocholic
I would love a Ute with decent tub something like the two door Ranger but what they offer is terrible you couldn’t even get carpet on the floor. I don’t need a twin cab as my kids are adults now, I don’t want 4wd as the closest thing to off road is a dirt road for me but I would like some of the extras and carpet would be nice. From what I can see there is no car that fits that bill, currently I don’t own a car at all for the moment and I just use the Mrs minivan that she has for her daycare business which is great for carrying a bike but I would like something I can chuck some sleepers in the back off and not have to fold up the seats etc.
Same as @ozzybmx i salary sacrifice my vehicle, so I’m waiting to for all crap to die down with cars then look what’s available.
Currently a transit van is leading the pack as it has all the features I want, I can haul crap in the pack and take my bike anywhere without fear of it being knocked off while I stop for lunch or fuel.
Check out a BedRug. I have one in my Amarok, and the tub is big enough for me to sleep in.

Haakon

That's why I can't let go of my old hilux single cab, saved me a lot of money, it's got an extra long tray and I've had no need to buy or loan a trailer. Last time I carried some fench rails about 4 meters long, tied them to the bullbar and up the side of the door and into the tray. Don't have to root around folding the lawn mower down, and dump a heap of tree offcuts into the back. It's saved me money tenfold. I haven't needed to pay for the delivery of white goods for years.
That’s why I have a nice 7x4 cage trailer. Carries the sea kayaks, trips to the tip, no paying to have white goods delivered.
Costs $70 a year in rego and I don’t have to drive a commercial vehicle for the privilege of the utility.