Rotorburn equivalent for utes? - Haakon vs The World

Haakon

Trap? What trap?
But they aren't. Wheel travel is limited by the massive leaf springs at the rear and the front ifs is no better. Any auto dual cab will go as far with less stress. The days of unstoppable Y61 utes and 70 series lording it over hiluxes etc are long gone. Anything that falls into 'that' category is heavily modified. 70 series come with front and rear differential locks as standard, want to guess why????
Fair enough. my experience is quite a few years old. We had some Hilux and Mits equivalent as command vehicles, but they were too fragile for carting half a tonne of water down the side of a hill and through gully following a bulldozer!

We had a Patrol once as a trial, but the low speed rock crawling work was a bit much for its clutch as the turbo engine was useless down low and everyone had to slip the shit out of it to get anywhere. Its size was also a PITA...

The sort of work the 70 series cab chassis I was using were doing was such that the old NA 6 was far superior to the V8s - engine braking and rock(log...) crawling was way better on the 6.

silentbutdeadly

Eats Squid
Both 80 series and 100 series are better off road in standard form than 70.

Crap articulation from leaf rear.
Poor ground clearance around rear springs.
Stupid narrow rear track.

Only advantage might be slightly higher body clearance. But doesn't help much in real world other than avoiding sill damage.
Back in the last century, I had Land Rover Defender 110. That was way better off road and gravel than a 70 Series at the time...only more fragile. Which, to this day, kind of explains the 70 in a nutshell....

Freediver

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a BJ shorty, that thing was a proper 4x4. If your car doesn't have plugs in the floor to blow out when you're crossing a creek so that it fills with water and doesn't float away, it isn't a real 4 wheel drive. None of this carpet stuff.
I'll have mine with PTO, none of this 12v shit.

rockmoose

Eats Squid
I had a BJ shorty, that thing was a proper 4x4. If your car doesn't have plugs in the floor to blow out when you're crossing a creek so that it fills with water and doesn't float away, it isn't a real 4 wheel drive. None of this carpet stuff.
I'll have mine with PTO, none of this 12v shit.
I would like to convert my fj45 traytop to ev one day. But realistically should sell it for stupid money.