Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Have seen the same on non euros. I don't get it either. Plastic tank is a good idea. Access panel is a good idea. Distortion? No so much.

Flow-Rider

Burner
If that were the case, you would think that you wouldn't be able to fit new fuel tanks, because I have never seen one come with all the caps in it. They might distort over the years from the heat and the weight of the fuel.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If that were the case, you would think that you wouldn't be able to fit new fuel tanks, because I have never seen one come with all the caps in it. They might distort over the years from the heat and the weight of the fuel.
Factory workshop manual says to screw the cap back on temporary if the pump is going to be out of the car for "several hours" to "avoid causing damage to the tank".

Haakon

Regassed the AC in the Megane using the Hychill butane/propane stuff. Hopefully it wont explode and set the car on fire, but it sure does work well!

550 grams of R134a was replaced with 170grams of Hychill, and its flipping arctic. Good stuff. Lets see how long it lasts - i did replace all the seals, so I'll find out where I didnt get one right soon I guess.

Haakon

Apart from not idling properly and the annoying rev hang, it’s driving very nicely. The Eibach springs and Bilsteins in particular are bloody great.

Have the roof pod on, and will be strapping a trailer to it on Wednesday and driving it to Melbourne loaded to the gills. Have the RACV Total Care paid up….

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Apart from not idling properly and the annoying rev hang, it’s driving very nicely. The Eibach springs and Bilsteins in particular are bloody great.

Have the roof pod on, and will be strapping a trailer to it on Wednesday and driving it to Melbourne loaded to the gills. Have the RACV Total Care paid up….
So it doesn't need a snorkel? Wow, French cars have everything.

Haakon

Where did the R134A go, I hope not the big reclaim bottle in the sky?
Honestly? Yes… I spent ages trying to find a mobile AC bloke to come out and degas the wrecked (and undrivable) car, most thought it was a weird question and the rest didn’t want to do it anyway. Literally had no choice when stripping the drivetrain out of it… Very annoying.

Global warming equivalent to burning a couple of hundred litres of fuel.

Haakon

@ausdb I agree, it was extremely maddening. I was perfectly happy to pay the monies. I bloody work in greenhouse gas accounting, I know the impacts of this stuff.