Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Well I got me a project bike. Let's see what everyone is building at the moment. Got mine on Tuesday.

Growing up, I wanted a Kawasaki ZX7R. They were fucking badarse, and looked cool with their big ram air intakes and 6pot callipers. Well, I've got the next best thing, a 93 ZXR750 (was a ZX7R in the US) which was the model before the real ZX7R. Close enough.

Bike is a streetfighter project. I really want to create something that looks good - to me. A streetfighter = sportsbike with the fairings ripped off and dose of testosterone. This is quite odd for me because I've always been about performance with my vehicles - although the desire for aesthetics has always been there. No flashy bullshit, hard/tough is the style we're going for.

As it sits.
Spraycan matte black paint.
MX style handlebars
Braided front lines
Yoshimura pipe
Brand new tyres
Recently caught fire.

To do
New loom on its way, old one is a bit melted.
After I get rego, fully strip bike.... and....
Rebuild carbs.
New tail - 98-00 R1 maybe, ZX9R... not sure yet. Maybe SV650.
Paint - probably black, but could be white or another dark colour. Keen on matte black but maintaining it is shithouse.
Hide wiring
Headlight - possible a KTM style dirtbike unit. Struggling to find something I like. None of this Euro alien shit.
Exhaust - clean up and underseat maybe, underbody.... probably just leave it where it is because I couldn't be arsed in the end.
Remove torque arm arrangement on rear brake with another sort of setup
General tidy up of all the shit around the radiator area.

If people have suggestions on tailpiece, headlight, or paint, let me know. Pics show progress from previous owner, I bought it after it caught fire on it's pre-QLD Transport test ride...

Attachments

Reactions: T.3

Ivan

Eats Squid
Wow, I am definately subscribed to this thread.

Growing up, I too loved the ZX7R's, and I'm a pretty big fan of the streetfighter look too. I reckon the headlight is one of the most important choices for the streetfighter, as it really sets off a bikes stance. I'm not a fan of the dual downlights (alien) either.

Maybe one of the thin headlights off the newish GSXR's would look pretty sweet?

Matte Black eh? polished wheels would look mint!

Edit: Found a pic.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Yeah GSXR is on the list. FZ1N definitely too. Found this one in the picture, but don't know what light it is. I quite like it.
My first thought when I saw that headlight was a Benelli naked bike, but that's probably a bit exotic. I'm lovin that matt black machine.

skivi

Likes Dirt
i've mentioned this before but here it is again anyway.. my first bike.

1982 Honda H100 2-smoke

(taken 5 minutes ago in the garden with boxes as benches because the garage is full)

done so far:
cleaning, polishing, rust removal, drained stale oils and fuel, cleaned strainers an filters, snapped front brake lever housing :eek:, cleaning carby today and bleeding oil pump.

yet to do:
needs a pod filter, tyres, fuel, new brake lever, finish wiring, fix rear indicator mounts, compression test & expert check over before getting onto possible engine rebuild or hopefully i can go straight onto RWC & rego. sometime down the track i'd like to give the frame a re-spray, the rust is only going to get worse.

Attachments

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Struth..why have I not spotted this thread already?

Definately subscribing.

Is the current light set-up off a Trumpy Speed Triple slip? As for future set-up are you wanting to keep the rounded look or go with something a bit sharper? (eg ktm style).

I'll go take a few pics of the KTM set up to give you some better ideas.

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Breaka - it was a generic twin headlight like a Speed Triple only slightly smaller. Might go back to it actually.... Oh well. KTM is definitely on the list. The others are VRod (I know...) or MV Brutale headlights which are very similar. Attached pics of them on bikes.

Not hugely sure, I think the tail needs to come first, and then sort out guage/headlight choice and positioning to compliment the new angles and lines of the bike. I hate mismatched things like late model Buell bikini fairings. Sin.

I've been a good boy. Every bolt goes into it's own baggie with the details written on the baggie as well. Wiring loom will be pulled out tonight or tomorrow and every connector will be labelled. Haven't done this in the past, and it's been a major issue on re-assembly.

Progress pic, just stripped it and tried an SV650 seat on. Too narrow (no shit, it's a modern 650 twin...) Yes, my camera takes shit photos in underground fluoro lighting.

Attachments

Breaka

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Breaka - it was a generic twin headlight like a Speed Triple only slightly smaller. Might go back to it actually.... Oh well. KTM is definitely on the list. The others are VRod (I know...) or MV Brutale headlights which are very similar. Attached pics of them on bikes.
I've got a few photo's of light/plate set up used on my 525 (I assume it's the same light used on all '07 model road regi. Kato's)

It's definately not suited for night riding. Dunno if it was the bulbs or my set up in particular but the few times I have ridden at night were scary as hell.

Here's some photo's I took this arv. (note, thumb is covering smaller bulb)

I've been a good boy. Every bolt goes into it's own baggie with the details written on the baggie as well. Wiring loom will be pulled out tonight or tomorrow and every connector will be labelled. Haven't done this in the past, and it's been a major issue on re-assembly.
Ha, I'm new to this too. Snap lock baggie's work well and are easy to label. I never used to give a shit about this when I used to work on my yz, I'd have a handful of bolts left over after pulling it to bits as a result :D

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Most dirtbike headlights suck massively at night, it's normal. The big appeal of them is weight, or lack thereof. I'm stripping as much weight and complexity out of this bike as possible, so they score big points there.

NICK ATKINS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is my first project and first car. Its a 1969 morris mini panel van. Most of the works been done by the previous owner i just need to finish it off.

JoshP

Likes Dirt
This is my first project and first car. Its a 1969 morris mini panel van. Most of the works been done by the previous owner i just need to finish it off.
nick its looking good, all you need now is some 20inch rims a fully sick sound system and you will be pimping.:p
cant wait too see it in person.

who...?

Likes Dirt
I wish i had my project car already but it will be a few more months till i get it, 1966 ford mustang fast back i cant wait iv already started to build i shed to put it in while i work on it i just havr to get some more money together for the car

floody

Wheel size expert
I'm slowly tarting up my decrepit old skyline. Currently engine, box are out awaiting replacement donk and finish painting engine bay, replacing master cylinders, rack mounts, steering coupling etc. Just bought 17x9 and 17x10 Work Meisters for it, haven't got tyres on the rears yet so its just lowered down onto a block of wood to check fitment in some pics.

Still lots to get and do, but have larger turbo, big injectors, bigger afm, spare ecu for Nistune board, S13 front uprights for silvia coilover conversion, R33 4 pot front brakes and a pile of other little bits and pieces. Need LSD centre rebuilt, new subframe bushes, bigger intercooler and a couple of other little jobs to sort the mechanical side, then we'll respray in Mazda arctic white.
In the end we should have ~200rwkw and still an almost stock looking engine bay, stock exterior but good wheel fitment, and as much factory Nissan stuff as possible.

Previous project car was this T18 SE corolla, just got it roadworthy, slammed it and fitted some old skool rims ex-Japan. Fun in the rain.

My partner's brother has the corolla now but I still have the wheels, we have an agreement for me to buy it back when he's done. Or I might import a KP61 starlet.

Last edited:
Reactions: T.3

slip

Beefcake...BEEFCAKE!!!
Ah floody, nice plans for the 31. Should be a very nice package once finished. Guard work required for the wheels, especially the 9's on the front? I miss mine, especially after the skidpan day yesterday.

suG

Likes Dirt

my e30 project.
putting coil overs in over summer. planing on some new wheels or ill mod the ones i have. we'll see.

skivi

Likes Dirt
how exactly do they get power to the rear wheels with the 'busa engine? i presume the motorbike donk and box stay connected but then how do you get from that to the drive shaft etc?

here is a turbo hayabusa powered MK1 VW golf:
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bXp8TF2546o

one day i'd love to do a chopped series I, II or III Morris Minor 2 door with a rover or flathead v8. i don't know shit about cars though.

wheres NCR600 in this thread, surely he's got something going in the shed?