Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
Of course - always a new tensioner and water pump (given it’s a timing belt driven pump). Especially as euro stuff likes to use the plastic idler and tensioner pulleys - treat them as an age thing as well, unlike metal rollers you get in Asian stuff you can let them go on kms alone.

I’ve never cheaped out on them either - I buy the timing kits from bearing manufacturers like SKF or INA. The belts will always be made by gates or continental or dayco.

For pumps I’m a fan of Hepu, although INA make pumps now too so I’ll try that in the Alfa. Have an Czech made Aisen pump in the scenic as it was on sale and they’re an OEM supplier.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
Just me taking the piss that all oil elixirs are actually snake oil
Well, those crappy old holden things had their valve seats cut straight into the cast iron head and without lead build up would eat their own valves. The valve saver stuff was an effective band aid for shit engineering at the time.

Meanwhile my 1960s Rover was perfectly happy on unleaded with stellite valve seat and sodium cool valves!

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
Well, those crappy old holden things had their valve seats cut straight into the cast iron head and without lead build up would eat their own valves. The valve saver stuff was an effective band aid for shit engineering at the time.

Meanwhile my 1960s Rover was perfectly happy on unleaded with stellite valve seat and sodium cool valves!
ed

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
But what viscosity/CST snake oil? Any detergent or high-pressure additives in the blends? We need details!
Well, now, in the rare event it's fired up, it's sucking in chainsaw bar oil. IF it ever gets rebuilt, it'll have hardened valve seats and probably run on something renewable, or synthetic fuel, if Porsche get it sorted out.

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
Well, now, in the rare event it's fired up, it's sucking in chainsaw bar oil. IF it ever gets rebuilt, it'll have hardened valve seats and probably run on something renewable, or synthetic fuel, if Porsche get it sorted out.
Trick everyone, shove an electric motor up the guts or grab some repco heads, the ohc heads. Destroke the crank to 3.5L and you have a 9,000rpm aussie engine. I know, I have seen one. Good for 500hp.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Trick everyone, shove an electric motor up the guts or grab some repco heads, the ohc heads. Destroke the crank to 3.5L and you have a 9,000rpm aussie engine. I know, I have seen one. Good for 500hp.
Solid idea, but just how much money do you think I have :oops: