Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
+1. If I ever have more money than I know what to do with, I'll be buying an AU* XR8 and going rallying.

*won't have to worry about its looks being ruined by clipping vegetation. Plus I like AUs. Fight me.
AUs are my favourite falcon - I applaud them for them being different :)

Make mine a VCT IRS Fairmont Ghia :)

I assume you’ve seen the Hubnut AU in the UK?

Haakon

You need a live axle LWB wagon for the authentic land yacht experience.

Will check out Hubnut...
Lol. Used to drive AU2 and BA wagons a thousand kms a week all over Victoria back when they were new and they were the fleet cars for a job at the time.

Big mid corner potholes at highways speeds were “interesting” as the whole rear axle left the ground and the rear started to come around….

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Lol. Used to drive AU2 and BA wagons a thousand kms a week all over Victoria back when they were new and they were the fleet cars for a job at the time.

Big mid corner potholes at highways speeds were “interesting” as the whole rear axle left the ground and the rear started to come around….
My torsion bar rear-end Kia does this. If the car was IRS, it'd be awesome - but the torsion bar is arse. Probably highlighted more so by the fact I moved to it from a very sweet handling '09 Civic sedan...

...and I like to push hard in the corners.

Haakon

My torsion bar rear-end Kia does this. If the car was IRS, it'd be awesome - but the torsion bar is arse. Probably highlighted more so by the fact I moved to it from a very sweet handling '09 Civic sedan...

...and I like to push hard in the corners.
That’s a tuning issue rather than the torsion beam as such. It’s mostly an independent design, certainly nothing like a live axle!

Renault Sport Meganes and Clips are all torsion beam rear end and they were getting Nurburgring records ;)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
My old TR Magna "Executive" shitbox I had when I was too young and stupid to know any better either had something wrong with it or came like that from the factory but would experience maxtreme bodyroll at any turn above 20km/h. Made anything involving a bend an exercise in committed cornering.

Luckily outside of metro areas it had an inbuilt safety feature that it'd usually overheat before it understeered into a tree.

Haakon

My old TR Magna "Executive" shitbox I had when I was too young and stupid to know any better either had something wrong with it or came like that from the factory but would experience maxtreme bodyroll at any turn above 20km/h. Made anything involving a bend an exercise in committed cornering.

Luckily outside of metro areas it had an inbuilt safety feature that it'd usually overheat before it understeered into a tree.
Something wrong - they were softly sprung, but handled well for what they were.

beeb

That’s a tuning issue rather than the torsion beam as such. It’s mostly an independent design, certainly nothing like a live axle!

Renault Sport Meganes and Clips are all torsion beam rear end and they were getting Nurburgring records ;)
I'll have you know the torsion beam in my Kia is very similar to a live axle. :(

It's a shame really, really good car let down by crappy handling. The platform itself seems to have the potential - They've just gone for a very Anglo-American "understeer is safe" tune, coupled with a torsion-bar rear that bucks like a bronco anytime it encounters a square edge. Train tracks are particular "interesting", and heaven forbid I ever encounter train tracks while in a corner. :eek:

beeb

That's when you use the bodyroll to your advantage and pull big exaggerated Scandinavian-flicks into corners. ;)

I had an auto '05-ish Honda CRV as a loan-car once, and holy shit that was one of the funnest cars I've ever driven purely by doing just that. The huge weight transfers would nearly get the inside wheels off the ground and you could slide it round corners at 80km/h... :p