Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Just me taking the piss that all oil elixirs are actually snake oil
Well, those crappy old holden things had their valve seats cut straight into the cast iron head and without lead build up would eat their own valves. The valve saver stuff was an effective band aid for shit engineering at the time.

Meanwhile my 1960s Rover was perfectly happy on unleaded with stellite valve seat and sodium cool valves!

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well, those crappy old holden things had their valve seats cut straight into the cast iron head and without lead build up would eat their own valves. The valve saver stuff was an effective band aid for shit engineering at the time.

Meanwhile my 1960s Rover was perfectly happy on unleaded with stellite valve seat and sodium cool valves!
ed

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
But what viscosity/CST snake oil? Any detergent or high-pressure additives in the blends? We need details!
Well, now, in the rare event it's fired up, it's sucking in chainsaw bar oil. IF it ever gets rebuilt, it'll have hardened valve seats and probably run on something renewable, or synthetic fuel, if Porsche get it sorted out.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Well, now, in the rare event it's fired up, it's sucking in chainsaw bar oil. IF it ever gets rebuilt, it'll have hardened valve seats and probably run on something renewable, or synthetic fuel, if Porsche get it sorted out.
Trick everyone, shove an electric motor up the guts or grab some repco heads, the ohc heads. Destroke the crank to 3.5L and you have a 9,000rpm aussie engine. I know, I have seen one. Good for 500hp.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Trick everyone, shove an electric motor up the guts or grab some repco heads, the ohc heads. Destroke the crank to 3.5L and you have a 9,000rpm aussie engine. I know, I have seen one. Good for 500hp.
Solid idea, but just how much money do you think I have :oops:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Those cheap sunraysia wheels you get on new trailers theses days - how fussy should i be about them being out of round....?

I replaced the tyres because one was pretty bad and the trailer shuddered enough to feel it in the car at 90kph, but it wasnt just tyres the rims are not flash either....

About to take it on the Hume at 110 for 8 hours next week... I at least had the new tyres balanced despite the tyre shop telling it wasnt needed for trailers (i dont get that one...)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Are the tyres round on the rims? If yes and the wheels are balanced it will be OK. I always get the trailer tyres balanced and make a point of saying they are spares for the 4wd and get rotated around. Since both trailers run the same tyre size and rim size it is easy to promulgate.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Sounds like the tyres are still out of balance, most balance problems are around 80~90Ks then as you go faster it goes away or lessens. Still to this day even with the technology we have, I see dickheads that have no idea about balancing wheels.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Took it out for a test (with FIL's Honda still in it. Delivering that to him is part of the reason I'm towing to Melbourne) on a nearby freeway thats very smooth and will show up any issues - and its fine. No more bouncing.

I was just putting new bearings in it as well so noticed the rim when reassembling it all.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Sounds like the tyres are still out of balance, most balance problems are around 80~90Ks then as you go faster it goes away or lessens. Still to this day even with the technology we have, I see dickheads that have no idea about balancing wheels.
Yeah, I still sometimes get a bad balance. It was worse back when I drove French cars from the 60s and 70s that didnt have holes in the middle of the wheels - not many places even knew how to balance those, let alone get it right!

I had a weekend job at uni for a couple of years at a trailer hire place. One of my sunday jobs was changing tyres and balancing them - have done more falcon wheels with light truck tyres on them then I care to think about. But balancing them made the amount of call outs for blown tyres on the rental fleet at servos all round Victoria much much less.