Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
Those are some big arse valves. The LS is a mighty interesting engine - an object lesson in that its all about pumping air through, not about the valve and camshaft count.

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
Those are some big arse valves. The LS is a mighty interesting engine - an object lesson in that its all about pumping air through, not about the valve and camshaft count.
For a chaff cutter they are a good engine. Light weight (ish) and good power and capable of pretty decent outputs and surprisingly good efficiency. Lack of cams also means it is low top height which is why it is so popular for transplants. I had a lazy 500kW in my GTS from the LSA and it was still an easy thing to drive.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
For a chaff cutter they are a good engine. Light weight (ish) and good power and capable of pretty decent outputs and surprisingly good efficiency. Lack of cams also means it is low top height which is why it is so popular for transplants. I had a lazy 500kW in my GTS from the LSA and it was still an easy thing to drive.
The VF SSV i once scored as a rental from Thrifty was doing around 8l/100 on the Hume with cruise set to 115 - i thought that was very impressive for very heavy car with very fat rubber and a whole lot of big cylinder thumping away.

Of course on the back country roads in northern Victora I easily got it above 20l/100.... :)

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
The VF SSV i once scored as a rental from Thrifty was doing around 8l/100 on the Hume with cruise set to 115 - i thought that was very impressive for very heavy car with very fat rubber and a whole lot of big cylinder thumping away.

Of course on the back country roads in northern Victora I easily got it above 20l/100.... :)
Amateur, I got the GTS to 99, it wouldn't read 3 figures.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
Amateur, I got the GTS to 99, it wouldn't read 3 figures.
In my defence that was an average - I was way to busy dealing with the scenery slipping past at warp speed to pay attention to instant readouts! I did like the way it would wiggle its bum under acceleration when nailed at 110... I quite liked it!