Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
Fcuked if i know why the engine ECU thinks the AC is on - it should only get that info from the climate computer and its telling me its not asking for it. Yes, swapped that computer over as well...

I'll shoot some emails to ECU repair companies in the UK who are used to Renaults. Another option is try to find an ECU file - I have the ability to reprogram the engine ecu - maybe i can reflash it with a manual file.

Or hope the manual Megane at the pick a part in Kilsyth is still there when i get back to Melbourne and it has the key card in it....

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
Fcuked if i know why the engine ECU thinks the AC is on - it should only get that info from the climate computer and its telling me its not asking for it. Yes, swapped that computer over as well...

I'll shoot some emails to ECU repair companies in the UK who are used to Renaults. Another option is try to find an ECU file - I have the ability to reprogram the engine ecu - maybe i can reflash it with a manual file.

Or hope the manual Megane at the pick a part in Kilsyth is still there when i get back to Melbourne and it has the key card in it....
Is the ac compressor clutch locked in? With the codes flashing and fans on it sounds like the ecu is in limp mode.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
Is the ac compressor clutch locked in? With the codes flashing and fans on it sounds like the ecu is in limp mode.
There is no gas in the AC, and the clutch is not on. I even tested that with the laptop, you can actuate it to test its function.

No limp mode I think, and its not putting up a CEL for the code for not fining the auto ECU. So I think I could probably use it fine with that code permanently there.

But I dont understand why the fan is on. The engine ECU should only turn on the AC (and hence the high speed fan) when its told to do so by the climate computer.

I think my first solution is to find an ECU file to reflash it....

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
There is no gas in the AC, and the clutch is not on. I even tested that with the laptop, you can actuate it to test its function.

No limp mode I think, and its not putting up a CEL for the code for not fining the auto ECU. So I think I could probably use it fine with that code permanently there.

But I dont understand why the fan is on. The engine ECU should only turn on the AC (and hence the high speed fan) when its told to do so by the climate computer.

I think my first solution is to find an ECU file to reflash it....
If the ecu reads references from the auto trans like (oil temp) and that's missing, it might run the fans as a safety. Can you see that fan is in the 'on position' with the computer program you have? If not you can work backwards from the ac fan relay and make sure it's not jammed on or a short in the wiring somewhere keeping it on.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
If the ecu reads references from the auto trans like (oil temp) and that's missing, it might run the fans as a safety. Can you see that fan is in the 'on position' with the computer program you have? If not you can work backwards from the ac fan relay and make sure it's not jammed on or a short in the wiring somewhere keeping it on.
The engine ECU is authorising the AC to be on. I think the clutch would also be on if there was any gas in it (its smart enough to not engage the clutch is the gas pressure is low/zero). And yes, its also telling me the fan is on high. I think the fan being on is a consequence of the AC being told to be on, not just the fan on its own.

You might be onto something with the transmission fluid temp - ill check tomorrow if thats a parameter in the engine ecu list.

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
The engine ECU is authorising the AC to be on. I think the clutch would also be on if there was any gas in it (its smart enough to not engage the clutch is the gas pressure is low/zero). And yes, its also telling me the fan is on high. I think the fan being on is a consequence of the AC being told to be on, not just the fan on its own.

You might be onto something with the transmission fluid temp - ill check tomorrow if thats a parameter in the engine ecu list.
Yeah, the ac should never operate due to low gas pressure with the safety switch unless the switch has been bypassed. It's a French car, anything is possible:D, some cars have a function to switch the AC compressor on every time the car goes into reverse to keep the oil circulated. Maybe study the wiring diagram it might give some clues how everything functions.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
Yeah, the ac should never operate due to low gas pressure with the safety switch unless the switch has been bypassed. It's a French car, anything is possible:D, some cars have a function to switch the AC compressor on every time the car goes into reverse to keep the oil circulated. Maybe study the wiring diagram it might give some clues how everything functions.
Hardy ha - yes there is a pressure sensor on the high side near the condenser that ensures the ECU knows not the engage the clutch if the gas is low.

Its not wiring, its software... Will spend some quality googling time looking for an ECU file...

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
Hardy ha - yes there is a pressure sensor on the high side near the condenser that ensures the ECU knows not the engage the clutch if the gas is low.

Its not wiring, its software... Will spend some quality googling time looking for an ECU file...
You could always retrofit an old microtec computer and have some fun.

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
Went for a drive with mechanic mate to pick up a Cossie head this morning and saw this... Pasted together from a couple of phone pics so a shoddy photoshop job even for me...

There is a Ford V8 Supercar engine in there somewhere.

Cardy it is for sale... No doubt an LS will fit too.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
Cardy, not sure how you will feel about this... A bit happy and a bit sad maybe.

I think it is an E36M3, had all the right panels and bits left from an M3 but who knows I didn't look at the VIN.

With this up front

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Cardy, not sure how you will feel about this... A bit happy and a bit sad maybe.

I think it is an E36M3, had all the right panels and bits left from an M3 but who knows I didn't look at the VIN.

With this up front

I'm not sure how I feel about that either.

On one hand: LS THE WORLD!

On the other: Why throw away the BMW tech? All I can think is they're being lazy and chasing easy neddies instead of developing the BMW unit. There's no replacement for displacement, or some shit like that.

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
I'm not sure how I feel about that either.

On one hand: LS THE WORLD!

On the other: Why throw away the BMW tech? All I can think is they're being lazy and chasing easy neddies instead of developing the BMW unit. There's no replacement for displacement, or some shit like that.
I dare say the BMW powerplant was munted and the LSX is an easy 500bhp. Heavy though with the ci block given it will stay NA. Whores for cores I guess though I cant see why an LSA or force fed LS3 wouldn't be a better choice. I drove a W427 with the LS7 and to be honest as much as people rave about that engine NA the LSA was a much better package and 500kW is merely a breath away. Owner has his own E36 which has a NASCAR Ford driveline, whatever that is, I wasn't able to get close to it.

Quality of his work, if it was his, was pretty damn good. Some bits though were a bit meh. Still better than I can manage...