Flat Earth, religion, exBurner, roadie hate, alien existence, mushrooms and badgers thread

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
You didn't miss anything - The post that seemed to trigger people was just one members perspective and was not pushing any agendas at all - Some people just got triggered - I assume some sort of apocalyptic PTSD
Pretty much my take on it too. I just couldn't sit back and watch him try and nitpick when Cyclo and David were just sharing.

Minlak

custom titis
Pretty much my take on it too. I just couldn't sit back and watch him try and nitpick when Cyclo and David were just sharing.
I will admit I was pretty disgusted by the badgering he received and I started messaging "People" - it got so bad I almost logged into my @moorey account to deal with it.

People here give and get a lit of shit thrown around but it had always been inclusive shit :)

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I like living in a country where putting your hand up as religious seems like sticking your neck out. So tend to be nice to them if theyre nice about it.

We had a family friend who grew up in the bible belt in the US in the 60s and they and their non religious friends used to get together sort of in secret to talk atheist sort of things - publicly being known as not religious was borderline dangerous. They went to church religiously (boom boom tish) to keep their cover intact. Weird situation to be in...

madstace

Likes Dirt
Clearly it's a subject that burns brightly in his conscious. Depending on any individuals' exposure to the evils of organised religion, it's not hard to imagine the subject touching the nerves of some. I only felt the need to say anything once the sharing from one individual became prescriptive, which is my main problem with any religion. That includes atheism, which I've steered away from given it ultimately commits a lot of the sins other belief systems do, only without a deity to point to. Humans are weird sometimes.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Feels like i missed a party - religion arguments are always super fun! I grew up learning how to shit stir Christians - the local jehova witness mob once upon a time thought it was their duty to "save" my mum who was known as the "local witch". She had a ball with them - invited them in, gave them tea and biscuits and asked a lot of pointed questions about the bible that routinely floundered them (she went to a private christian girls school and knew her way around the bible pretty well). Eventually they stopped coming and I think Mum was disappointed...
My mum's mum had a pretty viscious sense of humour which included various novelty drinking glasses. I was staying with her when two JW's knocked on the front door, usual tactic of asking for a glass of water. She went inside and brought out two glasses. They looked at the glasses, each other, the glasses then her and took off. One glass was labelled arsenic and the other cyanide.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I like living in a country where putting your hand up as religious seems like sticking your neck out. So tend to be nice to them if theyre nice about it.

We had a family friend who grew up in the bible belt in the US in the 60s and they and their non religious friends used to get together sort of in secret to talk atheist sort of things - publicly being known as not religious was borderline dangerous. They went to church religiously (boom boom tish) to keep their cover intact. Weird situation to be in...
He would be an interesting fellow to talk with, he would have lived through the revolt of the hippy era (countercultural movement), the religious types really despised those types back them.

Haakon

He would be an interesting fellow to talk with, he would have lived through the revolt of the hippy era (countercultural movement), the religious types really despised those types back them.
Went the other way too - lots and lots of people scarred by their "christian" upbringing literally ran for the hills and into the hippie movement. Must have been very freeing... America is bad enough as it is, back then it was actually scary.

Driving through the southern states channel surfing on the radio is fun, there is usually a preacher of some sort rabbiting on about something. Super weird shit...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Really? This is one of the most polite and tolerant forums I’ve been on. People are mostly very accepting of others views.

#fuckroadies
I was more alluding to the slightly unhinged and WTF visage that we probably present to outsiders, 100% agree that this is possibly the most polite and tolerant corner of the internet.

Haakon

Really? This is one of the most polite and tolerant forums I’ve been on. People are mostly very accepting of others views.

#fuckroadies
We all know you secretly have a Giant road bike out the back. You cant deny the allure of lycra ;)

Although I know of cyclist hating Citroen driver who lives near you who would run you down and blame you for the damage to his car...