COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
We have around 200 people on site at work. Mix of office and workshop (often with shared lunchrooms). We had mandatory vaccinations as a requirement if we wanted to keep working (about 3 people held out on annual/unpaid leave until the mandatory requirement was dropped). Rough estimate, ~120 people have caught it so far, almost all late last year or recently this year (many in the last few weeks). All bar about 3 people have only had very mild symptoms. Sniffly nose and a sore throat. That's covering staff with an age range from 18 to a few in their mid-60's.

Meanwhile there's a nasty cold that's been doing the rounds this year (no, not it's not a f**king "flu"!) and it has been smashing people. After the initial 3-5 days of nasty level of common cold symptoms - several have copped a persistent dry cough, sore throat and lasting fatigue for several weeks. They've all done RAT tests (partly out of their own curiosity, partly as a return-to-work requirement), many have had PCR tests (myself included) as a precaution and tested clear. Several folk caught the nasty cold, took several weeks to fully recover, only to catch COVID a week or two later. As double or triple vaxxed they all much preferred COVID, aside from the boredom of being stuck in ISO when feeling 99% fine.

IMO, the vaccines are working awesome and definitely worth getting. I'm going to wait to get my fourth until the Omicron-specific vaccines come online, unless things get really shaky beforehand.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Meanwhile there's a nasty cold that's been doing the rounds this year (no, not it's not a f**king "flu"!) and it has been smashing people. After the initial 3-5 days of nasty level of common cold symptoms - several have copped a persistent dry cough, sore throat and lasting fatigue for several weeks. They've all done RAT tests (partly out of their own curiosity, partly as a return-to-work requirement), many have had PCR tests (myself included) as a precaution and tested clear. Several folk caught the nasty cold, took several weeks to fully recover, only to catch COVID a week or two later. As double or triple vaxxed they all much preferred COVID, aside from the boredom of being stuck in ISO when feeling 99% fine.
Novid !

Hits harder than the genuine corona.

There are so many people I know who have a constant cough or some sort of sickness.

It's like a video game where we should be searching for serum to make the population well again.

That's the most alarming thing for me, a large percentage of people are in a constant state of sickness and are OK with it.

Ahhhh... it's just the end of the cold I had a few weeks back. No, you had that cold 3 months ago and are still coughing. Nobody cares... people are OK with being sick in 2022.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
We have around 200 people on site at work. Mix of office and workshop (often with shared lunchrooms). We had mandatory vaccinations as a requirement if we wanted to keep working (about 3 people held out on annual/unpaid leave until the mandatory requirement was dropped). Rough estimate, ~120 people have caught it so far, almost all late last year or recently this year (many in the last few weeks). All bar about 3 people have only had very mild symptoms. Sniffly nose and a sore throat. That's covering staff with an age range from 18 to a few in their mid-60's.

IMO, the vaccines are working awesome and definitely worth getting. I'm going to wait to get my fourth until the Omicron-specific vaccines come online, unless things get really shaky beforehand.
Gawd.. so I wasn't imagining it when I caught the nasty cold few weeks back! Tested negative on both RAT and PCR, but had persistent fatigue and stuffy nose.

I'm gonna held out my fourth as well until the omicron specific ones come online.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
is there anything about when that might be, or is it all just a bit hand wavey at the moment?'
It's going to be a while. The 'second gen' vaccines have already begun trials but are not yet approved.

I went nice and early for my original two vaccines and my booster, but have had to wait since January to be eligible for the second booster. Vague implications from the media seem to be that it only offers around a month of severe disease prevention (ie: You might still feel very ill, but won't have to go to hospital).

It's a gamble whether to have it now and be covered on the approach to the peak or if you're unlucky enough to catch it in the next couple of weeks, or wait and try and have improved coverage during the peak. Given how many people still stubbornly avoid getting their 3rd shot, I wish they'd just say to people that want to stay vaccinated "if you want to get it, you can get a booster every X months", rather than waiting then creating random milestones where they open up eligibility (often after many vaccines are thrown away after passing their expiry dates).

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

This was my exact experience. Had the cold early in the season. It was super shit. This was followed by Covid which was shit, but not as bad.

Colds only really kill you when you get a secondary infection. Covid is a known killer. Glad I had my 3 shots.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

safreek

mate and his partner are anti-vaxxers, both got covid, both were far less sick than I was. Small census group i know but yeah, this is exactly what made me wonder.
I have had 3 shots, no covid so far.
I know many unvaccinated who haven't caught covid, those that did get it barely rate it compared to flu.
Still people with 4 Vax dying.
Pretty shit vaccine really as apparently it is very short acting.
By the way Nathan, I agree with you

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I have had 3 shots, no covid so far.
I know many unvaccinated who haven't caught covid, those that did get it barely rate it compared to flu.
Still people with 4 Vax dying.
Pretty shit vaccine really as apparently it is very short acting.
By the way Nathan, I agree with you
this is called confirmation bias. Vaccine data efficacy data collected from across the globe exceeds any anecdotal evidence of literally all the people you know, have ever known and will know in the future.

Being able to understand that is where the line is between being a critical thinker and a Qanon believer.

safreek

this is called confirmation bias. Vaccine data efficacy data collected from across the globe exceeds any anecdotal evidence of literally all the people you know, have ever known and will know in the future.

Being able to understand that is where the line is between being a critical thinker and a Qanon believer.
No one can truely prove how well the vaccine worked. You can throw figures around all you want but it means shit.
The only way we will ever find out is to stop the vaccine for 3 months or so.
Mainly vaccinated dying at the moment funnily enough

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Not batting for either side, but of course more vaccinated are dying. That statement alone doesn't mean diddly squat. You would need 10x the number of vacc'd vs unvacc'd to be dying, for it to have any chance of being statistically significant.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
No one can truely prove how well the vaccine worked. You can throw figures around all you want but it means shit.
No one can truly prove? um, yes they can, and they have been literally proving it for at least a year now. Those figures that you think are being "thrown around" is the proof. If you are unable to interpret that information or understand it dooesnt make it incorrect. What sort of proof would satisfy if not the actual literal proof? You ARE starting to sound like a Qnon-er

the funny thing about this statement even though its wrong on a fundamental level, its kind of makes sense but only on the basis that simply more people are vaccinated. what a stupid thing to say.

The vast majority of people who die in car accidents held a drivers license. Maybe, just maybe, holding a drivers license isn't preventing deaths on the road. Fuck driving licenses, i know people without licenses who are alive.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
The only way we will ever find out is to stop the vaccine for 3 months or so.
While we have massive data collection issues in Australia thanks to states doing whatever the fuck they want, that’s not a claim that can be substantiated.

Only NSW and ACT health departments are collecting vax status of covid patients and covid related deaths.

Here is the data on the federal health website. These numbers span 16th June to 7th October 2021.

You're suggesting a complete turn around of vax vs non vax deaths. Please explain

Data here: https://www.health.gov.au/sites/def...release-documents-covid-19-related-deaths.pdf