COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Election year. State Government won't go anywhere near any restrictions in Victoria unless things are getting Old Testament style. Reckon you'll see the same in NSW too given they've got one coming early next year.
fair call. didnt even think about that.

I love this whole "oh the Victorian people want to be able to choose, So I've ignored the advice from someone who is infinitely more educated on the subject than the general Victorian. SO now Victorians can choose to wear a mask in vain or not"

Personal responsibility, y'all.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You've gotta remember - mandating mask wearing doesn't get the message out there that wearing a mask is a really good idea and that this is a serious health risk.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Here's a potentially unpopular opinion. Have the vaccine's/boosters really helped that much considering so many people have actually caught covid and gotten symptoms significantly more than just a common virus.
I was super pro vaccine and thought I wouldn't catch it until my daughter gave it to everyone in the house and like many, I spent a week pretty damn sick and still recovering weeks later.
Personally I wonder if rushing a 4th booster is simply so that government doesn't have to do anything and so we don't have to go back to masks and lockdowns. After getting ill I no longer maintain any confidence in vaccines or booster having any real impact as the narrative has gone from you wont get covid if your vaccinated, to you wont get as sick to now being you wont die, maybe.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Here's a potentially unpopular opinion. Have the vaccine's/boosters really helped that much considering so many people have actually caught covid and gotten symptoms significantly more than just a common virus.
I was super pro vaccine and thought I wouldn't catch it until my daughter gave it to everyone in the house and like many, I spent a week pretty damn sick and still recovering weeks later.
Personally I wonder if rushing a 4th booster is simply so that government doesn't have to do anything and so we don't have to go back to masks and lockdowns. After getting ill I no longer maintain any confidence in vaccines or booster having any real impact as the narrative has gone from you wont get covid if your vaccinated, to you wont get as sick to now being you wont die, maybe.
Did you ever wonder what it would have been like without the vaccine?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
You've gotta remember - mandating mask wearing doesn't get the message out there that wearing a mask is a really good idea and that this is a serious health risk.
yeah. Since when has mandating ANYTHING expressed the seriousness of the thing being mandated. I cant think of anything..

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Counter opinion for you. So you got pretty sick hey, then maybe consider what might have been the outcome had you caught Covid with your immune system completely unprepared for the attack instead of having a level of antibody response ready to go thanks to being vaccinated. It's quite possible (not certain) that your kids might have ended up losing their father had it not been for the vaccine...

Edit... What Oddjob said.

PJO

in me vL comy
Counter opinion for you. So you got pretty sick hey, then maybe consider what might have been the outcome had you caught Covid with your immune system completely unprepared for the attack instead of having a level of antibody response ready to go thanks to being vaccinated. It's quite possible (not certain) that your kids might have ended up losing their father had it not been for the vaccine...
There is major problem with any of these postulations no one can actually know what might have happened.
You can't equate a personal experience with population based approach.
The only way to know it is working is to look at the statistics for the rates of death per rate of infections. Sadly we don't have a good idea what the rate of infections are because testing is now a personal responsibility.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Same. Ive had three jabs. Still copped it three times. DO I believe in the vaccine? Yes. I believe in science so have to accept that the risk of being unvaccinated could have turned out worse for me. I'm ok with that. And I will probably take a 4th booster and any others that come my way. But I am very quickly coming to the opinion that most of this stuff is now for show. If the govt was really about personal responsibility, they would make things like attending the workplace optional where possible and put protections in place for staff so that employers couldn't fire them if that's the option they chose. That one change would be a huge impact to letting people be responsible for their own health. I would chose not to be exposed to several extra thousand possible vectors of disease every day. Thats way more than choosing wearing a mask in a a maskless setting would do.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Maybe someone on here who has a bit more spare time than me could run some quick numbers to work out number of infections per death rate in Aus pre vaccine rollout (relatively small number of infections I know) compared to say, last six months?

Edit. @PJO there should be enough data to guide some assumptions to enable some estimates to be made in order to get an indication of the vaccine effectiveness. Sure, wont be accurate, but I would hope we'd be looking at order of magnitude level change.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Maybe someone on here who has a bit more spare time than me could run some quick numbers to work out number of infections per death rate in Aus pre vaccine rollout (relatively small number of infections I know) compared to say, last six months?

Edit. @PJO there should be enough data to guide some assumptions to enable some estimates to be made in order to get an indication of the vaccine effectiveness. Sure, wont be accurate, but I would hope we'd be looking at order of magnitude level change.

Not exactly what you're asking for, but the stats are pretty compelling.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Pretty sure the data exists but is skewed by changing variants and the fact that the vaccine was developed against the alpha and/or delta variants of a virus. All the variants since have had some level of immunity evasion. The current BA.5 variant reportedly evades all (vaccine and prior infection related) immune response. In short, i don't think what you're asking for can be done as a "quick" running of the numbers.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Same. Ive had three jabs. Still copped it three times. DO I believe in the vaccine? Yes. I believe in science so have to accept that the risk of being unvaccinated could have turned out worse for me. I'm ok with that. And I will probably take a 4th booster and any others that come my way. But I am very quickly coming to the opinion that most of this stuff is now for show. If the govt was really about personal responsibility, they would make things like attending the workplace optional where possible and put protections in place for staff so that employers couldn't fire them if that's the option they chose. That one change would be a huge impact to letting people be responsible for their own health. I would chose not to be exposed to several extra thousand possible vectors of disease every day. Thats way more than choosing wearing a mask in a a maskless setting would do.
WFH should be the norm post covid, but I can imagine the huge backlash from employers and restaurant/shop owners. Govt will never mandate this, ever. I quit my job because my boss refused to let me continue my WFH, even though my job can be done 100% from home (which he wholeheartedly disagrees and called me irresponsible), and even after I asked for WFH just part time.

I daresay my boss probably makes up majority of bosses in workplaces. Old hats who believe people are not as productive at home and that employee interactions are extremely critical, more important than for their employees to have more family and down time. I can't see this changes over night or over the next decade.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Did you ever wonder what it would have been like without the vaccine?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
mate and his partner are anti-vaxxers, both got covid, both were far less sick than I was. Small census group i know but yeah, this is exactly what made me wonder.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
mate and his partner are anti-vaxxers, both got covid, both were far less sick than I was. Small census group i know but yeah, this is exactly what made me wonder.
they probably only got a small dose of the virus while you were hit with much higher dose. They may well end up in icu if hit with your viral load. Then again you won't know..

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It really depends on varient, the person etc. BIL in the UK has friends and colleagues who died from the initial strain and then from delta. Early days when we knew of no one who had had covid he said everyone knows someone 'with' it and now it is everyone knows someone who has died.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
WFH should be the norm post covid, but I can imagine the huge backlash from employers and restaurant/shop owners. Govt will never mandate this, ever. I quit my job because my boss refused to let me continue my WFH, even though my job can be done 100% from home (which he wholeheartedly disagrees and called me irresponsible), and even after I asked for WFH just part time.

I daresay my boss probably makes up majority of bosses in workplaces. Old hats who believe people are not as productive at home and that employee interactions are extremely critical, more important than for their employees to have more family and down time. I can't see this changes over night or over the next decade.
Wish I could. Can't really say much more about why I can't without it sounding douchey

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I usually use this site to get data to make my charts from

I particularly like this table: https://covidlive.com.au/report/daily-hospitalised/vic as I think it gives the best available indicator of how loaded the health system is and how sick the current variant is making people. As everyone knows daily new cases is not an accurate number, but it can be used to show infection trend and track where we are in the current 'wave' of infection. Whereas I would hope that the hospitalized data is comparatively very accurate.