COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Depends on how you look at it really.
Love how a first world country always get things right
Don't think anyone here is suggesting that developed countries are always getting things right.

But you asked for responses with numbers, and they're right there for you to see.

Sure not everybody is testing here, but enough are to give a statistical picture.

If I'm going to construct an argument, I'd rather base it on some information than no information.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I've started wearing a mask in public shared areas again. I think we all agree this is a good idea whether or not PNG is statistically significantly different in a plethora of ways (it is).

Part of re-masking was being in shared areas with others who've continued to mask up, I was feeling some guilt. I also haven't had the Old Spice yet either.

safreek

US population 332 million
Aus population 27 million

US deaths 1,000,000+
Aus deaths 10,000+

US Vaccination rate (double dosed) ~67% (and very patchy state-to-state)
Aus vaccination rate 84%

We have 8% of the US's population, but 1% the number of the deaths

Yet somehow has 100% testing and reporting coverage. Hmmm….
I have never said PNG has 100 percent test/report, bit like Australia now where no-one cares any more.
Booster or no booster, get ready for the bloodbath.
I believe people are susceptible to bad covid or not, it's in the genes probably.

An old girl I know is 92, non vaxxed. As she said, I have had a good life.
She got covid 3 weeks ago and barely had a sniffle, 4 people much younger and fitter, triple vax were down for between 3 days and a week.
I am not anti vax, it like cancer really, some are more susceptible than others regardless what they do

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Our population is 3x PNG.
Suck it up Princess View attachment 391204
suck what up? you're shit at research. as proven by your statement of:
Now let's not go saying it's a different country, blah blah just figures alone thank you.
Context is important, of which what country it is, is highly relevant.

these are China's covid stats -

Widley known to be inaccurate due to, well, China being china. No one takes these at face value, as no one takes PNGs at face value either.

At least in Australia and other western countries we contextualise the data we do collect, we give information on where the gaps may be in the collection and provide caveats where they are needed so people and researches understand the context in which it is collected and used. You can then use that information to draw inferences with significantly high confidence intervals.

Remember India at the start of the pandemic? They had queues of people lining up for funeral pyres that were un-precedented. At the time there was also "no covid outbreak". Cant recall which African country proclaimed there was no covid, while their leaders were all dropping in parliament. North Korea also has been covid free since the pandemic, allegedly. So yeah, what country it is absolutely matters.

And in teh case of PNG - "figures represent only confirmed cases, and ample anecdotal evidence suggests that the true number of cases and deaths is probably higher. Many areas have no testing facilities for COVID-19. Vaccination levels are dismally low (on Dec 16, the Government reported that 283 915 people had received at least one dose; the country's total population is around 9 million). And knock-on effects of the prolonged disruption on other health services are being seen " That's enough to know that the numbers being reported cant be relied on.

How about we just compare the figures like everyone has been quoting.
We are comparing a virus, no socioeconomic status.
What don't you understand, seems like a country with only the basics has it beaten whereas we haven't
um...@nathanm

how do you have an intelligent debate with this?

Data has to be contextualised. Safreek doesn't seem to understand this and refuses to acknowledge it.
Socioeconomic and geopolitical situations 100% have an impact on outcomes, reporting etc. Proof taht there seems to be some comprehension issue.
Safreek is CONVINCED based on some uncontextualized data that PNG really has it beat, despite evidence to the contrary. This is literally when an intelligent debate/discussion cant be had. >meme

What cracks me up the most is the amount of people vaccinated, assuming most of you as well as me are, why most aren't wearing masks.
I can't believe how selfish some of you are.
I hope you all realise that you can still spread it.
Bloody selfish to all the old and immune deficient
Mask efficacy requires high levels of mask compliance. Hence why there is currently some debate as to why these aren't being mandated again. this is where the argument for personal responsibility doesn't make sense. If you give people the choice, most will chose not to for whatever reason, rendering their use less and less effective, to the point that anyone wearing one is only getting piece of mind, rather than any real protection. You can accuse the govt of being selfish, not the public.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
To be honest their figures should be chronic compared to Australia, I think I found a country with basically no medical system, 5 percent vaxxed and having Australia as a neighbour. Christ, their figures should be through the roof.
They would be if they had the appropriate testing and reporting resources. Im strugging to understand why this is hard to grasp?

safreek

Don't think anyone here is suggesting that developed countries are always getting things right.

But you asked for responses with numbers, and they're right there for you to see.

Sure not everybody is testing here, but enough are to give a statistical picture.

If I'm going to construct an argument, I'd rather base it on some information than no information.
I think you misund
They would be if they had the appropriate testing and reporting resources. Im strugging to understand why this is hard to grasp?
Prove to me they don't, Trump man

Scotty T

Walks the walk
All these people making claims that others don't ride bikes, yet they are not self reporting with evidence, it's totally suspect.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

safreek

its documented in the academic peer reviewed article i linked you. Thanks for taking the time to read it before you came up with your response.
Mate, I couldn't be bothered reading links so you can steal my crypto.
I'll leave you all alone now, I have amused myself enough to stop feeling ill.
I'm surprised all you still take the bait tbth

safreek

If all of this is just horseshit to wind people up and waste everyone's time perhaps you'd enjoy a little break from the forum?
Whatever, if you all get sensitive about a pisstake about something that has continued to just go around in circles go for it

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Whatever, if you all get sensitive about a pisstake about something that has continued to just go around in circles go for it
It's not a pisstake for those who've died from it, or the families of those who have.

You know, the people you pretended to be concerned about earlier?

Some people aren't able to interpret fact from jest and are vulnerable to making poor health decisions based on misinformation online, even if it is only a serious but misinformed presumption that gets shot down in flames pisstake.