What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Jabubu

let you google that for me
I'll leave the greasing then - I just need to get some mini cable ties from Bunnings to hold the outer to the chainstay and then I'll get on it.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Finally got the El Roy out onto the dusty af pea gravel of Kalamunda. There was a social ride so I tacked onto that for a bit before going my own way. A couple of observations:

1. Assguys feel weird. The bike has MaxxGrip Exo+ up front and MaxxGrip DD out back. When riding slow they felt terrible, but with momentum they were half decent. I've never used Assguys in the dirt before, so no transition gap (DHF user) felt weird. Not knowing when they are going to really bite was a bit odd. Everyone told me once I got used to it I'd never want to use DHFs again, still not sure about that... MaxxGrip was nowhere near as draggy as I thought it would be. I hit Drago and only touched once (it's a prick of a climbing track).

2. The bike is long, like really really farken long (it doesn't feel long per se, but you feel it when riding slowly). Slow speed single trail was bang average, the front was a touch floppy. Pushing it harder in the single track made the bike come alive and make sense. I just need to remember to get over the front of the bike more.

3. When I started pushing, the bike started to come alive. When I pushed more the bike wanted to be pushed more. Dangerous and good all at the same time :D

4. KMC chains on Shimano cassettes aren't the best...

5. It'll 100% work to race the enduros on over here, so will sell my trusty old Santa Cruz Tallboy LT.

So so so good to get back onto some of the old tracks, but wow oh wow were the tracks blown out and it's only early November... By god do I detest pea gravel.

Attachments

Jabubu

Another Pipeline run today and 17 achievements on Strava :eek:

I forgot I had XC tyres on and went a bit quicker, smacking a few rocks on the way down, I swear I'd blown the rear tyre a few times but nope, it's got about the same amount of air in as when I started.. Grip was ok but it's dry at the moment so not that surprised but there's no way I'd want to do this trail on these tyres after a bit of rain. I managed to use about 75% of the bike's travel.

The XT shifter did ok, upshifting is pretty useful for getting into a higher gear quickly after a stand up pinch climb, but I wish I could adjust the downshift arm a bit so it sits a little further under the bar (like my dropper lever).

My biggest issue at the moment is fatigue. My muscles ache quickly and I get less dynamic on the bike about half way down. But after three quarters I get a second wind and I go for it again. Now my leg is much better it'll be time to get back on the beers kettlebells.

What's on "What would Hambo would like to buy" list at the moment?

TYRES
* Continental Kryptotal Fr (F) + Xynotal (R) (29 x 2.4 Enduro Soft)
* Schwalbe Magic Mary (F) + Big Betty (R) (Super Trail Soft)
* Schwalbe Tacky Chan (F) + Hans Dampf (R) (Super Trail Soft)
* Pirelli Enduro M + Enduro R Hardwall 29 x 2.4

OTHER
* 165mm Raceface Aeffect R cranks
* Rapha waist pack
* Topeak D2X air pressure gauge
* PNW 38mm rise carbon bar

BIKES
Reeb Steezl
Ibis HD6
Forbidden Druid

Last edited:

slowmick

38-39"
Final report also comes out on a trail and you’ve gouged a hole in the tyre and you’re frantically shoving bacon strips in trying to seal it. Some do. Many won’t.
I can give you an interesting update on the Monkey Sauce. I stocked up on the sauce when it was supercheap. while it was in the box in the shed I fucked up somehow and found a bottle with the nozzle off earlier this week when looking for pedals to lend to a friend.. It stuck really well to everything in the box but was still liquid in the ziplock bag where it hadn't leaked out. I was in a rush while cleaning it up I got a fair amount on my hand and wrists. I ignored it and now I have bare patches when it worked as a depilatory. So it may not seal a huge hole in your tyre but you can probably waterproof your fish pond with it.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I had no idea it was blue, since it's a climbing trial I'd never thought about that.

I must say, wow the trails were so so blown out already. Is it worse this year or normal?
About par for the course. It’s so dusty nothing stays in place long!

Jabubu

I can give you an interesting update on the Monkey Sauce. I stocked up on the sauce when it was supercheap. while it was in the box in the shed I fucked up somehow and found a bottle with the nozzle off earlier this week when looking for pedals to lend to a friend.. It stuck really well to everything in the box but was still liquid in the ziplock bag where it hadn't leaked out. I was in a rush while cleaning it up I got a fair amount on my hand and wrists. I ignored it and now I have bare patches when it worked as a depilatory. So it may not seal a huge hole in your tyre but you can probably waterproof your fish pond with it.
Removing the WTB tyres was an absolute chunt of a job as it had sealed so well against the beads but it did fuck all to seal the small hole in my front tyre (before I snapped the valve stem trying to re-inflate it..) I've still got two bottles but I think I might go back to Stans for my new tyres. At least it would still have a use should I buy a road bike!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Why do people swing right before turning left…?

Made for a moment this morning as I was (inadvisedly …) filtering between a left turn lane and the straight ahead and the gap narrowed rather suddenly…

Too many years on chilled Canberra bike paths for the commute - need to polish up my sixth sense!

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Why do people swing right before turning left…?

Made for a moment this morning as I was (inadvisedly …) filtering between a left turn lane and the straight ahead and the gap narrowed rather suddenly…

Too many years on chilled Canberra bike paths for the commute - need to polish up my sixth sense!
Were you riding through North Hobart?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep. On the way in it’s mostly downhill down Augusta and Elizabeth, so mostly its traffic hold me up. On the way home I take the more chilled option along the rail path and up the path along Creek Rd.
Yep, Yvonne's old commute route both ways. She worked in the Federal Court inn Davey Street. Just a different finish going up Girrabong.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Brought the old tracer into last decade with a set of 275 wheels and some dropouts that intense finally started selling again

...but has anyone done this conversion before? WTAF am I meant to do about brake adapters? Everything else went reasonably smoothly, but for the life of me I couldn't find an adapter that would work with the stupid new axle offset. I've managed to rig it up with a 140r adapter and some big spacers that came with a post to is kit I got a ways back. I'm not stoked with it, but I get full pad contact so it'll do the job for now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You know what I think @Plankosaurus ? Run it 27.5/26 mullet as a party bike! Or (even better) sell me the frame and I'll do it. Then we can focus on shedding some grams off that ss and making it the ultimate plankosaurus party bike! Everyone wins ... Phone keeps making your name plankton.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Brought the old tracer into last decade with a set of 275 wheels and some dropouts that intense finally started selling again

...but has anyone done this conversion before? WTAF am I meant to do about brake adapters? Everything else went reasonably smoothly, but for the life of me I couldn't find an adapter that would work with the stupid new axle offset. I've managed to rig it up with a 140r adapter and some big spacers that came with a post to is kit I got a ways back. I'm not stoked with it, but I get full pad contact so it'll do the job for now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
At a guess, something like Hope's "G" adapter in the chart linked below?