What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Exactly and for a regular hack, you might be X amount of seconds faster going down with MaxxGrip Minions (may be more fun too) but you can lose minutes riding up and feel like shit with draggy tyres.
My Spur with fast Syerras on it can do 90% of what my Deviate can do with Enduro Mazzas. It definitely doesn't have the grip but the tyres are half the weight and twice as fast. Do you really want to gauge you tyre choice on 10% of a ride and curse them for the other 90%.

Having other bikes in you collection is good for this... or just get an eeb and run supersoft 1500g DH tyres all the time ;)
Sadly it's just the one bike for me. I'm not keen to repeat my mistake of going for tyres that are too lightweight (Bontrager XR4).

The Contis sounds like they roll well, grip well, damp the trail and can support lower psi without deforming. Sure they won't roll as well as the Syerra but nothing really does with 120kg perched on them!

Jabubu

I went riding with my daughter this morning around Smithfield trails - she hasn't been for a while but loved every minute apart from a bermed descent that freaks her out. But you know what? With some encouragement, she rode it and got up the other side.

She also showed me her cornering skills with turned hips and decent bike separation, I was so proud!

Not a bad ride in terms of effort either, 14km and 180vm, a great effort!

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Got out this morning for a 630 ride before it gets brutally hot.
20km, 440m vertical and a huge amount of PRs. The only tracks I didn’t medal on were ones I was riding for the first time, so there’s no comparison.
It was dusty out, which is weird considering the bursts of rain last night and thunderstorms.
Also a fair bit cooler in the hills than at home but still 33 when I got off the bike at 9am!

I’ve been hitting the gym a bit lately and think spending most of that either squatting or deadlifting is helping my knees again, and building up some muscle. Only change to the bike was running 25psi in the front instead of 29

Jabubu

Fucking finally installed my XT shifter. I've procrastinated over this for about nine months only because I like where my shifting is at the moment and I didn't want to screw it up.

When I finished my race back in August, the OEM Deore shifter was wobbly as feck, so I tightened a screw at the bottom thinking that was the issue. Well upon inspection today I realised I got it wrong, the bolt that goes in from the top is the thing that holds it securely, and it had worked its way loose and must have fallen out during the race.. That'll explain why it's never felt 100% secure..

Anyhoo, today I installed the shifter and cable, yay! Finally I get to adjust the shifter positioning to my liking but, what, what?! Fuck! It clashes with the DB8 brakes and I can't rotate it to my preferred angle, and I'm not sure if it's me but the lower trigger arm seems longer than the Deore one so it sits further back behind my thumb. I guess I'll get used to it. On the plus side, I only needed to tighten up the cable at the derailleur to get the shifting right, couldn't believe my luck there :)

Which brings me onto the shifting - I'm not sure I like it that much. Shifting to easier gears is buttery smooth but at the same time it feels vague. The multiple upshifting is nice of course, and it's the main reason to upgrade, but it feels notchy compared to the Deore I just took off. Perhaps I'd like SRAM Eagle shifting if the opportunity came up in the future?

I didn't install the SP41 cable housing that came with the shifter, maybe it would have improved shifting further but at least it's there if I get the time to do it. Perhaps in nine months?..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I didn't install the SP41 cable housing that came with the shifter, maybe it would have improved shifting further but at least it's there if I get the time to do it. Perhaps in nine months?..
New shifter cables and outer make a massive difference. The outers get gritty and slow, probably the biggest difference to slow shifting is a new outer.

Jabubu

New shifter cables and outer make a massive difference. The outers get gritty and slow, probably the biggest difference to slow shifting is a new outer.
Maybe I'll remove the cable, thoroughly clean it, then put in the new outer housing.

Any recommendations for a cable lube? I have Slickoleum, Rock n Roll Gold and some Nukeproof Horizon freehub grease.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Maybe I'll remove the cable, thoroughly clean it, then put in the new outer housing.

Any recommendations for a cable lube? I have Slickoleum, Rock n Roll Gold and some Nukeproof Horizon freehub grease.

Xt level cable should be lubed from factory ....

I give my cables a thin cover of whatever grease I have in the garage. Currently that's Penrite I think.

New dust wipers on the xenos, 30t chainring fitted still fouled on the CS so another BB spacer on the drive-side, sorted.
View attachment 404131

That is some significant up action on those bars!!!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

I would go the slicko. The rock and roll gold might dissolve some of the grease in the outer cable, the freehub grease might be too thin.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

Nothing. Many years ago I lubed cables, and then had to keep lubing cables. Then I didn't have cable lube so I left it dry and months down the track I realised the shifting was still the same. The lube just kept the dirt inside, whereas the motion of the cable legs the dirt out. I haven't lubed a cable since.