What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is like riding on ball bearings over hardpack
Yeah it is! The trails would be a lot of fun except for the fucking surface. It totally robs you of confidence the whole way down.

I had crossmax on for my first visit to the goat farm, they were my DJ and fr trail tyre for my local (Glenrock) here at the time and I had no idea what was waiting for me at the goat farm. Minions were swiftly ordered.

Do they still make Gazzalodis? Forget moto, get farkin agricultural
I'm way ahead...my next bike is going to have tracks rather than wheels.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The pea gravel over hardpack is a classic situation where for cornering grip on the front you want a narrower tyre but with knobs taller than the pea gravel. With a narrower but longer contact patch you can cut down through the gravel and sweep away enough of it to increase grip. A wide and short contact patch of a wider tyre sits on top of the pea gravel. Wider is not always better.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Yeah but what about that small percentage of time where that grip means clearing the feature, sniper roots, rock garden etc or an unexpected lie down?
yeah nah. I’d rather be running too much grip than not having fun because I’m concerned about wether my nice fast rolling tyre is going to grip up or spit me off.
For ultimate fun on the downs you really can't ever have too much grip but dragging around too much tyre when you're not taking advantage of its benefits (eg the extra grip) is a real fun buster.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
For ultimate fun on the downs you really can't ever have too much grip but dragging around too much tyre when you're not taking advantage of its benefits (eg the extra grip) is a real fun buster.
Exactly and for a regular hack, you might be X amount of seconds faster going down with MaxxGrip Minions (may be more fun too) but you can lose minutes riding up and feel like shit with draggy tyres.
My Spur with fast Syerras on it can do 90% of what my Deviate can do with Enduro Mazzas. It definitely doesn't have the grip but the tyres are half the weight and twice as fast. Do you really want to gauge you tyre choice on 10% of a ride and curse them for the other 90%.

Having other bikes in you collection is good for this... or just get an eeb and run supersoft 1500g DH tyres all the time ;)

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
The pea gravel over hardpack is a classic situation where for cornering grip on the front you want a narrower tyre but with knobs taller than the pea gravel. With a narrower but longer contact patch you can cut down through the gravel and sweep away enough of it to increase grip. A wide and short contact patch of a wider tyre sits on top of the pea gravel. Wider is not always better.
That makes a lot of sense. Weirdly everyone over here seems to still ride wider tyres at the front - I run a 2.5/2.4 combo and that seems pretty common. Might need to experiment when I next swap out tyres.
One problem might be that the pea gravel accumulates on the flatter sections, so only seems to affect the gentler sections if that makes sense. Certainly riding the heritage trail which is mostly pea gravel, a narrow tyre (or gravel bike) would be the smarter option.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I wasn't going to do any trail riding before my holiday, especially on my lightweight XC tyres, but, well fuck it I did.. and proceeded to set several descending PRs on Strava. WTF? I was being more careful and not smashing into features either. Corners were certainly a lot sketchier, it's so dry and dusty at the moment.

For modern XC they're actually pretty chunky. Try again on some Aspens

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Had a little stack. Then extracted the three outer pins of my Tmacs from my calf. I’d just put new longer pins in a few weeks ago too. Full insertion. Ouch. View attachment 404055 Sorry, I know my calf isn’t as sexy as @ozzybmx’s shaved calf. ;)

I'll send you a manscape and leg shape program. We'll have those legs bringing in the dollars on only fans in no time!

Like others I am impressed by the lack of dragging the pins.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Got one for the ears? The amount of hair coming out of them lately is alarming!
Wrong thread...

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Exactly and for a regular hack, you might be X amount of seconds faster going down with MaxxGrip Minions (may be more fun too) but you can lose minutes riding up and feel like shit with draggy tyres.
My Spur with fast Syerras on it can do 90% of what my Deviate can do with Enduro Mazzas. It definitely doesn't have the grip but the tyres are half the weight and twice as fast. Do you really want to gauge you tyre choice on 10% of a ride and curse them for the other 90%.

Having other bikes in you collection is good for this... or just get an eeb and run supersoft 1500g DH tyres all the time ;)
Hmm were the Syerras on when I rode the Tranny? I can’t recall.

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Two things, you have seen what the XC WC guys can do on tyres lighter with less tread than those and a bit of skill.

Also, those Fast tracks are XC tyres and fast rolling, if you are quicker on those than Minions, was there any gnarly corners ? any steepness that needed grip and brakes ?

If it was an XC type trail, I would 100% expect rolling resistance to be more beneficial over grip.
I've also seen what Sam Pilgrim can do on a ladies shopping bike - sadly I'm a bit short on skills..