The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey there vintage gurus, does anyone know if there's a whatsit or thingymabob that I can bolt to the fork arch of my old Judy's to get my even older Canti brakes going?

I'd prefer to avoid using v brakes and I don't have enough steerer length to use one that mounts to that. I could drill through the stem as a last resort, but there's a hole in my fork arch so I figure something could conceivably be mounted there...

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
Not so sure running from the stem would work with suspension. Cable will have variable pull with movement. Why the dislike for V's?

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Not so sure running from the stem would work with suspension. Cable will have variable pull with movement. Why the dislike for V's?
you're absolutely right, going from the stem or steerer wouldn't work! looks like its a fork arch solution or nothing.

not so much a dislike for V as much as just wanting to run canti's. I remember being sooooooo jealous of mates that had canti's back in the early 90's, so now i can track them down and lord this over them :p

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
not so much a dislike for V as much as just wanting to run canti's. I remember being sooooooo jealous of mates that had canti's back in the early 90's, so now i can track them down and lord this over them :p
The utter joy of adjusting cantis to get the same pull on both side will give you hours of fun and also pull your OCD strings at the same time.

They do work well once they are adjusted just right.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The utter joy of adjusting cantis to get the same pull on both side will give you hours of fun and also pull your OCD strings at the same time.

They do work well once they are adjusted just right.
Nah, they are shite. I swapped cantilever to vee for immediate improvement.

ausdb

Being who he is
you're absolutely right, going from the stem or steerer wouldn't work! looks like its a fork arch solution or nothing.

@Plankosaurus have you seen this discussion?
If your hell bent on running canti's I have an old set of canti Mach V's taking up space in my shed you can have.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Plankosaurus have you seen this discussion?
If your hell bent on running canti's I have an old set of canti Mach V's taking up space in my shed you can have.
Thanks mate, had not seen that and it unfortunately makes some sense reflectors on the arch was a thing back then wasn't it? I'd hate to break the forks just because I want to use inferior brakes

I've got some stx V's here, I'll just get with the times and use them.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I cannot imagine a hand pull (!) would be too much for that bracket. The aluminium piece you posted is not exactly strong and anyway what is the worst that could happen, no brakes? It's cantilever there are no brakes anyway.

Go vee though...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
V up front and Canti out back. This is going to shit me to tears till I find a solution to get a V brake on the rear (the cable guide won't really work for V, there's nowhere to fit an outer cable)

But it's ridable, and super nostalgic
(The first MTB I bought myself was a barracuda, and it got stolen off the back of my ute in my early 20s when I failed to secure it with anything more than ropes)

I'd still like to ditch the grip shifter for some triggers, and get some matching Araya rims on it because they were apparently the bees knees when I was in high school.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
V up front and Canti out back. This is going to shit me to tears till I find a solution to get a V brake on the rear (the cable guide won't really work for V, there's nowhere to fit an outer cable)

But it's ridable, and super nostalgic
(The first MTB I bought myself was a barracuda, and it got stolen off the back of my ute in my early 20s when I failed to secure it with anything more than ropes)

I'd still like to ditch the grip shifter for some triggers, and get some matching Araya rims on it because they were apparently the bees knees when I was in high school.

Awesome, we have to do a retro burn around Lysty now, once we can again.
Though I did managed to break my front V-brake recently so going to have to get on the hunt for a replacement at some stage.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Awesome, we have to do a retro burn around Lysty now, once we can again.
Though I did managed to break my front V-brake recently so going to have to get on the hunt for a replacement at some stage.
Colour me keen

I can probably sort you out with a v brake too, how fussy are you on them?