The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Hoooti hooo, finally got me another of my most wanted bikes. In 3 days I have managed to get a couple off my list. The prophet being the retro ride, now we have true vintage worthy of this thread.
MAY I PRESENT THE
GIANT MCM 990 FRAME
Had to do a run to the sunny sunny coast, risking all in the covid polluted country of Queensland. Would of run through the Zombie Apocalypse naked for this beautiful thing. In really good condition as well

Enjoy the first photo of many to come.
If you don't like it, how about for a change having a bit of respect for other people's liking
View attachment 373582
Some inspiration for you. Dude was racing one at the SA State DH Championships last year (in a super cool vintage category):

Joe Mullin, cofounder of newly opened Australian Museum of Mountain Bike, with his 1998 Giant MCM D.with 1996 Rockshox Judy DH forks, a Rockshox Super Deluxe rear shock, Mavic 217 rims on a Hope bulb rear and Hadley front hubs, Magura HS11 front brake, Magura Racelite rear brake and 630mm Xlite bars. Dream build from back in the day and loosely based on Rob Warner's spec of the same bike.

safreek

Vealcake
Some inspiration for you. Dude was racing one at the SA State DH Championships last year (in a super cool vintage category):
View attachment 373649

Joe Mullin, cofounder of newly opened Australian Museum of Mountain Bike, with his 1998 Giant MCM D.with 1996 Rockshox Judy DH forks, a Rockshox Super Deluxe rear shock, Mavic 217 rims on a Hope bulb rear and Hadley front hubs, Magura HS11 front brake, Magura Racelite rear brake and 630mm Xlite bars. Dream build from back in the day and loosely based on Rob Warner's spec of the same bike.
Sweet, looks like a fit old coot. It's good to see that they don't all snap like some are saying

jbg

Likes Dirt
You got some work there 0psi. Are you doing a resto on it?
What’s the story behind that? One of Sharples’ old bikes

heavyp

You heard it here first
Had the misfortune of rebuilding this recently. I now know what it feel like to be an archaeologist attempting to unearth something without damaging it. FML and fuck vintage bikes that aren't mine.View attachment 374268
If you need any help with the fork let me know I have some NOS boxxer parts and some matching crowns, also have some Hayes that I think will match not the greatest condition but ill let them go for cheap.

Does a 2007 Superlight now qualify as a vintage bike, it is 26" and 3 X 9 ?

Anyway I'm eyeing off this bike and wondering if I could set it up for long distance riding, maybe even bike packing on it. The boy never rides it. Probably just a fool's errand.

oliosky

Likes Dirt
Had the misfortune of rebuilding this recently. I now know what it feel like to be an archaeologist attempting to unearth something without damaging it. FML and fuck vintage bikes that aren't mine.View attachment 374268
God the mismatch of parts on that bit of Oz DH history is making me squirm/fell ill. Ronning had a yellowy/gold Gary Fisher that was essentially the same thing from memory?