The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

jbg

Likes Dirt
You got some work there 0psi. Are you doing a resto on it?
What’s the story behind that? One of Sharples’ old bikes

heavyp

You heard it here first
Had the misfortune of rebuilding this recently. I now know what it feel like to be an archaeologist attempting to unearth something without damaging it. FML and fuck vintage bikes that aren't mine.View attachment 374268
If you need any help with the fork let me know I have some NOS boxxer parts and some matching crowns, also have some Hayes that I think will match not the greatest condition but ill let them go for cheap.

Does a 2007 Superlight now qualify as a vintage bike, it is 26" and 3 X 9 ?

Anyway I'm eyeing off this bike and wondering if I could set it up for long distance riding, maybe even bike packing on it. The boy never rides it. Probably just a fool's errand.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had the misfortune of rebuilding this recently. I now know what it feel like to be an archaeologist attempting to unearth something without damaging it. FML and fuck vintage bikes that aren't mine.View attachment 374268
God the mismatch of parts on that bit of Oz DH history is making me squirm/fell ill. Ronning had a yellowy/gold Gary Fisher that was essentially the same thing from memory?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Not my bike, looks like it could be an interesting pick up for $100

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Does a 2007 Superlight now qualify as a vintage bike, it is 26" and 3 X 9 ?

Anyway I'm eyeing off this bike and wondering if I could set it up for long distance riding, maybe even bike packing on it. The boy never rides it. Probably just a fool's errand.
I have a hot rodded Superlight from that era .
It is 2 x 10 with > rear travel and a 120 mm straight steerer fork and takes 27.5 wheels easily .
The frames are really well made and single pivot is simple.

emerthis

Likes Dirt
What is this thing?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

heavyp

You heard it here first
Who's bike is it ? I regret selling mine.
I also have NOS boxxer parts that can help with the fork as it seems to be missing vital dust wipers and seals

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Hey there vintage gurus, does anyone know if there's a whatsit or thingymabob that I can bolt to the fork arch of my old Judy's to get my even older Canti brakes going?

I'd prefer to avoid using v brakes and I don't have enough steerer length to use one that mounts to that. I could drill through the stem as a last resort, but there's a hole in my fork arch so I figure something could conceivably be mounted there...

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Don't understand the question... nothing to bolt on for cantilever or vee brakes?

Canti brakes need a pull point, otherwise you'll just be moving the cable. Vee brakes don't need it because the pull point is on the brakes themselves.

I probably should say I've looked into it a little and found a tektro product. but not certain it'll work, can't find it in Aus, and I'm not sure it's worth $50+ just to avoid using a vee brake on the front. I'm sort of hoping someone has something in the parts bin, or knows where I can get a cheaper one.