The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

ausdb

Being who he is
V up front and Canti out back. This is going to shit me to tears till I find a solution to get a V brake on the rear (the cable guide won't really work for V, there's nowhere to fit an outer cable)

But it's ridable, and super nostalgic
(The first MTB I bought myself was a barracuda, and it got stolen off the back of my ute in my early 20s when I failed to secure it with anything more than ropes)

I'd still like to ditch the grip shifter for some triggers, and get some matching Araya rims on it because they were apparently the bees knees when I was in high school.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
@Plankosaurus I have an A2RS I'm pretty sure I've posted a pic of it here. It has factory V brakes and there's a funky little brazed on cable guide / stop at the top of seat tube top tube junction. I'll take some pics of it in the next day or so.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Plankosaurus I have an A2RS I'm pretty sure I've posted a pic of it here. It has factory V brakes and there's a funky little brazed on cable guide / stop at the top of seat tube top tube junction. I'll take some pics of it in the next day or so.
Yeah, I've got a funky little guide thing at the top of the left seat stay too. It's got a spring going through it that guides the cable inner around to the brakes, but not the normal stop and doesn't look like there's a way to add a cable there to get to v brakes.

Keen to see a pic of your setup

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Pub bike is back! Have all the bit back from various kids bikes. Sure the fork need a service and the back brakes don't work 'cos the kids got oil all over them and the bars are cut down to a stupid narrow width - but it's back! Makes me happier than it should.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Full cable outer from brake lever to the vee brake and use cable ties through those fittings to hold the cable next to the frame.

Your first consultation is free.
I though about this, but I want to avoid the full cable thing. I'm thinking something that sits in the current lug and tapers out to house a cable outer. I'd 3d print something but I doubt it'd hold up.

ausdb

Being who he is
This is what mine looks like. Keen to see the alternative (and hear if anyone knows of an easy solution)

I've had a crazy week, moved house and just done a 13 hour day and driven 650km today. I should be able to dig mine out of the shed over the weekend and snap a few pics for you.

ausdb

Being who he is
@Plankosaurus there's still to much crap stuffed into my shed to get the bike out but I managed to get the phone near the bike to get this pic. It looks weird as the bike was standing on its back wheel but I've rotated the pic to make it closer to yours. You've got the front derailleur and rear brake cables bass ackwards. These frames were made for V brakes so you'll need one of the stops that @Dales Cannon has posted to run canti's successfully, otherwise fingers crossed the braze on wasn't a Friday arvo job :oops:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
@Plankosaurus there's still to much crap stuffed into my shed to get the bike out but I managed to get the phone near the bike to get this pic. It looks weird as the bike was standing on its back wheel but I've rotated the pic to make it closer to yours. You've got the front derailleur and rear brake cables bass ackwards. These frames were made for V brakes so you'll need one of the stops that @Dales Cannon has posted to run canti's successfully, otherwise fingers crossed the braze on wasn't a Friday arvo job :oops:
View attachment 378959
The frame has another lug on the seat tube on mine, looks like it's routed right to me. It's hard to imagine that they've put it there for no reason and the Canti setup seems to work as intended

I could route it like that though I guess I think the derailleur cable might rub the seatstay a bit, but shouldn't get a massive amount of use so probably not an issue. Could maybe use a little bit of cable inner through that spring too maybe.

safreek

OK, I am known for buying shit bikes but JFC this one takes the cake.
Wheels are rooted as are most parts. The fork springs though so that's cool.
Going to whack some working wheels on.

Does anyone know anything about the fork.
Also any idea why there is this red plastic on the brake.
Enjoy the pictures and be envious of this little gem

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned

Mongoose version of AMP Research?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 379113View attachment 379114View attachment 379115
Does it have a name on the frame?
Looks like a steel frame?

Mongoose IBOC team SX from 1995 was the bike that had the AMP Research F2.
The year before had something called the Mongoose Amplifier linkage fork.
But these were lugged carbon frames.

Last edited: