The Vintage Mountain Bike Thread.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepants
@Plankosaurus there's still to much crap stuffed into my shed to get the bike out but I managed to get the phone near the bike to get this pic. It looks weird as the bike was standing on its back wheel but I've rotated the pic to make it closer to yours. You've got the front derailleur and rear brake cables bass ackwards. These frames were made for V brakes so you'll need one of the stops that @Dales Cannon has posted to run canti's successfully, otherwise fingers crossed the braze on wasn't a Friday arvo job :oops:
View attachment 378959
The frame has another lug on the seat tube on mine, looks like it's routed right to me. It's hard to imagine that they've put it there for no reason and the Canti setup seems to work as intended

I could route it like that though I guess I think the derailleur cable might rub the seatstay a bit, but shouldn't get a massive amount of use so probably not an issue. Could maybe use a little bit of cable inner through that spring too maybe.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

safreek

I'm not here right now, leave a message
OK, I am known for buying shit bikes but JFC this one takes the cake.
Wheels are rooted as are most parts. The fork springs though so that's cool.
Going to whack some working wheels on.

Does anyone know anything about the fork.
Also any idea why there is this red plastic on the brake.
Enjoy the pictures and be envious of this little gem

The Dude

Likes Dirt

Mongoose version of AMP Research?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt

View attachment 379113View attachment 379114View attachment 379115
Does it have a name on the frame?
Looks like a steel frame?

Mongoose IBOC team SX from 1995 was the bike that had the AMP Research F2.
The year before had something called the Mongoose Amplifier linkage fork.
But these were lugged carbon frames.

Last edited:

Scotty T

2.6 inches
That's looking like a late 90's/early 2000's low end Goose with an older Amplifier (maybe a B2) fork. @Chriso_29er I think it's alloy from the fatness of the tubes. The paint looks post 2000,

I sold Mongies in the shop I worked in until 98 and the Y front triangle came in then and stayed until about 2003 maybe, @Haakon what year is yours? I reckon this was after that.

Fork would be worth way more than the bike. It would suit a 95 or older Mongoose.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
That's looking like a late 90's/early 2000's low end Goose with an older Amplifier (maybe a B2) fork. @Chriso_29er I think it's alloy from the fatness of the tubes. The paint looks post 2000,

I sold Mongies in the shop I worked in until 98 and the Y front triangle came in then and stayed until about 2003 maybe, @Haakon what year is yours? I reckon this was after that.

Fork would be worth way more than the bike. It would suit a 95 or older Mongoose.
Mine is a MY2000 NX 7.3 :)

safreek

Does it have a name on the frame?
Looks like a steel frame?

Mongoose IBOC team SX from 1995 was the bike that had the AMP Research F2.
The year before had something called the Mongoose Amplifier linkage fork.
But these were lugged carbon frames.
Yeah man, it's just a rockadile al

safreek

Yeah mate, pretty sure I saw these frames many years ago, but definitely post 2000 I think, and low end for sure.
I got it because the fork looked cool and as an anti junkie non stealie bike.
You now have me worried someone might steal it for the fork, I am only going to put spare parts on it. Glad the fork works as I committed before seeing it

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
With that style fork, out of interest, do you still ride it
Had a RS Judy XC on it when new, been running a Marzochi Bomber coil fork since 2007. Yes, still ride it sometimes. It was my only bike from 2000 to 2011 or so, and then was a commuter on slicks for a few more years.

Even with a new Orange, a carbon Trance and a few other toys in the shed, its the one bike id cry the most over if it was pinched... Lots of sentimental value :)

komdotkom

Likes Dirt
Is there a market for vintage Marins? A mate has one from 2000 which he paid 1900gpb for at the time. He's just purchased a new Scott so wants to move it on but has no idea if jts worth $20 or $200
I have never seen it, he just showed me a picture of it and I let him ride my Paradox after the laughing subsided.
I reckon it's one of these

safreek

Is there a market for vintage Marins? A mate has one from 2000 which he paid 1900gpb for at the time. He's just purchased a new Scott so wants to move it on but has no idea if jts worth $20 or $200
I have never seen it, he just showed me a picture of it and I let him ride my Paradox after the laughing subsided.
I reckon it's one of these
View attachment 380706
I think he will be disappointed with the price he will get, the old Marin's aren't really all that collectable. Better to split it and try to get a bit more than complete.
I'd give him a couple hungie if he was local