The stupid questions thread.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Sigh.. stupid question time: I am replacing my Raceface Aeffect Cinch cranks with Shimano FC-M8100-1 DirectMount cranks. Do I need a new chainring? Or can I mount the Cinch chainring on the Shimano DirectMount? I've seen the names used interchangeably in many places, but can't quite confirm their the same thing.

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
So here's an eeeby question, if eeebs have the chainring mounted to the motor and not the crank then could they run a fixed rear hub? Seems the motor clearly has something of a freewheel in it already.
If they had a fixed rear they'd save a bit of weight and also be able to change gear whenever they liked, pedalling or not.
I don't have an eeeb so this might be coming from the well of completely stupid thoughts, save me from myself.

Last edited:

pixelpuppet

Likes Dirt
As an afterthought also, I for one am somewhat obsessed with points of engagement in rear hubs... given the chainring and crank on an eeeb can rotate independently of each other, do we ever hear about points of engagement for eeeb motors? Is this a thing?