The Photo Snob Thread

Booost

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tim_d, it appears as if you have just saturated the right shit out of that shot and not done much else? Probably try and steer away from really over saturating images as, IMO the original shot looks a lot better as it is.

Magoo74

Likes Bikes
i'm with boost - too much over-saturation can ruin the shot. it's a common mistake, likely to make up for not using a polarising filter. just pump your saturation a little if you have to.

also Tim, be careful with your brightening/levels not to blow out your highlights - you've created a couple of hotspots in the surf and the sky.

Here's a good contrast sharpening method that works well on landscape shots:

go to filters > unsharp mask and enter:

amount: 20
radius: 50
threshold: 0

but again, be careful of this method creating hotspots or blowing out highlights. you can vary the amounts.

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Cheers for the help guys. Like i said, never tried editing before so was just playing around without much idea apart from a couple of tutorials on the internet. Not really sure what else is usually involved editing wise hence asking. Kinda at the stage where I still can't really tell what looks good and what looks rubbish, getting there slowly. Is this better?

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
It's been a while since I've jumped behind the lens, but today was too good not to. The only decent one I managed to snap was of this Hoverfly.
**snip**
Peter, I think you have Macro photography sorted. I would love to see you put some of that skill into "other" topics. Bugs might be your passion, but you are pigeon-holing yourself. Time to step outside of the square.:)

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Kinda at the stage where I still can't really tell what looks good and what looks rubbish, getting there slowly. Is this better?
I think you're on the right track. Subtle over saturation is acceptable for landscapes - brings out much of the colour that is otherwise lost with digital cameras.

Post production is an often ignored part of digital photography and even a simple boost in contrast can make the world of difference in an image. Problem here is that it's not an overly interesting photo to begin with - means you have to 'mask' it with interesting/creative editing. (Sorry to be blunt...)

Re shooting it when there is some interesting sky happening would certainly improve the scene (as would shooting at dawn/dusk. Even the addition of an ND filter or something could blur the sky/water, adding a different dimension. Finally, you could use a lens with a shallow depth of field and say focus on the detail in the sand in the foreground for a nice point of interest. The possibilities are endless :)

Here is a quick edit cropped to a 'panorama-like' frame. I like trying to mimic old film-like images so we have a bit cross-processing here also in addition to a somewhat 'dirty' look. *shrugs*

Peter, another amazing macro shot but I think you need to work on your watermark :p (I'd love to see a bug somehow incorporated! :p)

Peter, I think you have Macro photography sorted. I would love to see you put some of that skill into "other" topics. Bugs might be your passion, but you are pigeon-holing yourself. Time to step outside of the square.:)
Cheers mate. Now that school is finished, I have a lot more time on my hands to put into photography. Given the right thing to shoot, I will take the odd landscape however I don't often get somewhere too picturesque. I wouldn't mind taking more riding photos but at the moment, I am the only person locally who is riding. I'll see how I go and I might have something other than a bug for you to look at.

Peter, another amazing macro shot but I think you need to work on your watermark :p (I'd love to see a bug somehow incorporated! :p)
Thanks. I have often thought about my watermark, but haven't really gotten around to it. However, I do like that bug idea....:rolleyes:

little man

Likes Dirt
Haven't had a look in here for a while! May aswell post up some recents from the weekend. Taken at the Sydney International Motor show on my iphone. Pretty good for a phone camera I reckon.

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Copic's? In Black? :confused:
I've got the same case filled with white/grey bodied Copic's. ;)

Callan, first and last do it for me. Nice.
Nah they are Ironlak Strikers :)
El cheapo Copic copies! Tbh from the Copics I've used at school, these aren't much worse. $3.25/marker, too!

Ironlak is an Australian graffiti art paint manufacturer, so these markers are aimed at people that are into graffiti, but they would be wicked sketching pens. Bleed proof paper is a must, however :$ I found that one out the hard way!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Callan, I love them, farkin awesome.

#1 however looks a little funny with her left eye. It looks as if the catch light is extending the white of her eyes.