The Photo Snob Thread

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Craig, im not sure about the facial expression, to me it feels a little awkward sorry. However lighting isnt too bad and great capture of her eyes!

Ango, keen to see your PAD so keep it up!

Tre001- That shot is awesome!!! Nice high key landscape shot! Maybe a little over exposed but at such exposure times its hard to get it perfect, keep it up :D

BT180

Max Pfaff
I'd love a tilt shift lens but there's no way I can afford one. Found the next best thing though - http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

I've been experimenting with some of my European trip pics from a few years ago. Let me know what you think!

Before:

After:

wombat

Lives in a hole
I'd love a tilt shift lens but there's no way I can afford one. Found the next best thing though - http://tiltshiftmaker.com/

I've been experimenting with some of my European trip pics from a few years ago. Let me know what you think!
That pic works pretty well with the effect, although if you want to improve it you could probably do a little more work with masking before you apply the blur filter.

The problem that always appears with fake tilt shift is that simply dropping in a mirrored, linear gradient doesn't allow you to isolate tall objects in the same focal plane. So typically things like lamp posts, tall buildings etc. will end up being sharp at the bottom and blurred at the top (or vice versa) when in reality the whole object is in the same focal plane, so it should all be subject to the same degree of blur.

The only part of your image that really jumps out at me though with that sort of problem is the is what looks like a portion of the hand rail in the bottom left corner. That object is going to be very close to your lens, so should really be all very blurred, not a bit blurred at the bottom, and not so much at the top.

Other than that, nice!

BT180

Max Pfaff
Thanks. Yeah, there's not really much room for a lot of editing of the pic, using that site. The focal position and size can only be adjusted up and down and not left to right so it's a bit limited.

Good for a bit of fun though.

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Thanks. Yeah, there's not really much room for a lot of editing of the pic, using that site. The focal position and size can only be adjusted up and down and not left to right so it's a bit limited.

Good for a bit of fun though.

yeah tilt shift doesn't really work at all on that photo.. focal range is way too big, and lots of "that doesn't make sense" things going on. Tiltshift effect can be achieved very easily in photoshop.

BT180

Max Pfaff
^^ Agree. I think there needs to be more going on in the foreground. I guess you need a busy/detailed photo taken not to close and not too far away.

Might have to have a play in PS.....Any tips?

Lemontime

Eats Squid
^^ Agree. I think there needs to be more going on in the foreground. I guess you need a busy/detailed photo taken not to close and not too far away.

Might have to have a play in PS.....Any tips?
Tiltshift works way better if the photo is taken from high above, from a birds eye sort of view with very even lighting. Just mask off your layers and do it like that if you want, or just go crazy with the blur tool and try make it as realistic as possible.

CraigS

Likes Dirt
Craig, im not sure about the facial expression, to me it feels a little awkward sorry. However lighting isnt too bad and great capture of her eyes!
Thanks Sam, I agree with the facial expression but it was a candid shot. Love her eyes though. Probably why she gets away with murder at home, damn 2 year olds.

Chalkie

Likes Dirt
Finally ordered myself the portrait kit of gadget infinity. Experimenting with flashes shall commence in two weeks. Super excited. Anyone got any links to good resources or tips for a total beginner? I plan to shoot everything from people to mtb.

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm aware this was in my PAD, but i'm pretty fond of this shot, so I thought i'd post it here :p. Hoping ot find some time over the weekend to process some shots from Asia!

**EDIT**

Tiltshift works way better if the photo is taken from high above, from a birds eye sort of view with very even lighting. Just mask off your layers and do it like that if you want, or just go crazy with the blur tool and try make it as realistic as possible.
Not always true! if you can get it right tilt shifting will work from straight side on, its just more difficult! don't use the blur tool either, use a layer mask and the lens blur filter, much, much nicer!

Heres some from Iceland and one form UK, onyl UK is really from the top :)

Last edited:

Lemontime

Eats Squid
Not always true! if you can get it right tilt shifting will work from straight side on, its just more difficult! don't use the blur tool either, use a layer mask and the lens blur filter, much, much nicer!

Heres some from Iceland and one form UK, onyl UK is really from the top :)
<snip><snip><snip>
No offense intended here, and they are all great photos, but in my eyes none of those really worked in giving that "it's actually a model" sort of look? I think the waterfalls don't work because the scale is just messed up completely due to the water, as things in models don't look like that! The third one gets much closer to the kind of model-esque photo, but there isn't enough background / foreground blurring for it to work completely.

Edit: Hardly remember taking this photo, not sure if I posted it.. MMM flowers..

Last edited:

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hate to say it, but the fact that you can't even see the dogs face pretty much makes it a completely uneventful and nothing photo?
Yeah thats true, but that photo displays most of his face, you just cant distinguish it because he has no eyes. All excuses aside, yeah not a great subject.

Drew.

Eats Squid
So i'm selling my 40D on eBay, i have it up for $950 with grip, batteries and 24-85 f3.5; i had a guy message me with an offer of $300, i basically told him not to insult me; he then came back and said "$350, my girlfriend just brought a 50d off eBay for $750...".

What the shit?! So just because your girlfriend brought a marginally better body for $200 less than what i have my entire bundle up for you think it's worth $350? Some people have no idea....

Still up for sale, too.