The Photo Snob Thread

Drew.

Eats Squid
Drew different sizes i think are a good thing and defs go a brolly box, easier to set up (apparently) with a much different light fall off.

Im looking at getting a lighting setup soon uni is juat busy atm, will be getting one of these to start off -- http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod2929.htm

Having smaller and easier options when needed will be a big time saver in my opinion!

Alec much better editing! If you still want your sig's make em smaller though :D
Yeah that's what I was thinking...just wanted to see if someone might be able to give me a bit of a 'holy grail' of lightbox/light modifiers/sizing...

Drew; have you checked out what Image Melbourne has to offer? Looks like a good set up but that stuff will probably cost you a packet coming from the US.

Let us know how those light stands go - I'm using some rubbish tripods which are not nearly tall enough :(
Yeah, Image Melbourne seems O.K, it costs about $185 AUD to get all of that above shipped to my door, so considering just in the softbox alone I save $200 i really think my best savings are going to come from B&H...got a couple offers on my 40D, so hopefully I can make an order within the next week!

wazza2282

Likes Dirt
Ahh yeah I think I get you.
Its all going to cost to much, but will be awesome :)

I saw the 60D has an intergrated speedlight transmitter.
Does this mean that I can have my flash ten metres away and it goes off when I take the photo?
The 7D has this aswell. And yes it does mean you can have your flash of camera and it will fire. However i'm sure the distance will depend on a few things, line of site 10m then probs. But i find with my 7D, the only time i have used the wireless feature, when the flash is behind or to the side of the camera it's not very effective; this could just be me though, as i have only used it once.

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Sam; perhaps check out the EZ Series of soft boxes offered at DCW - they are specifically designed for speed lights where as the Glanz (or similar) soft boxes are designed around a Bowen mount - an extra $$$ on top of the set up. Softbox+bowens can be pretty heavy so make sure you have strong enough stands. It worked out too heavy for mine so I went with the more portable EZ-fold design. Again, Image Melbourne may be able to help too...
Cheers ango! DCW is only 30 odd minutes from my place so ill drop in and have a chat to them!

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
The 7D has this aswell. And yes it does mean you can have your flash of camera and it will fire. However i'm sure the distance will depend on a few things, line of site 10m then probs. But i find with my 7D, the only time i have used the wireless feature, when the flash is behind or to the side of the camera it's not very effective; this could just be me though, as i have only used it once.
It's not just you; optically-fired slaves are very limited in range and versatility. Nikon have done it really well with CLS but again, needs to be line-of-sight and almost within a 45 degree viewing angle in front of the camera. Battery power has a lot to do with it too - my SB-600s stop working at about 1/2 battery at fairly minimal distance.

CLS (or similar) does however shine at really close distance - being able to shoot TTL with slaves is pretty cool and it's especially good with macro flash rings etc. However, if you're planning on having a flash 10m away (ie. photographing a DH mountain biker), then you're much better off putting $45 or so into some Cactus Triggers which will have the range.

:)

saMfish

Likes Dirt
Dodging looks patchy, if it's dodged to brighten certain bits, Drew :S
Like.. there is a big splotchy dark spot above his bikecycle.. hmm

Maybe brighten the dark parts of the photo, or don't dodge the other bits so much?

I have no idea what's going on if that is pretty much from camera :S

Drew.

Eats Squid
Did a bit of a re-touch and fake tilshift type effect. Better? Looks prettty good from my monitor but i'm interested to hear what others see!

also another...

edit; and another...

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Did a bit of a re-touch and fake tilshift type effect. Better? Looks prettty good from my monitor but i'm interested to hear what others see!
I love the lighting (did you strobe the jumps?), but the fake TS is ruining it for me. I just don't think it's the right kinda shot for it to start with, and it just looks like someone splooged vaso on your lens. I'd love to see a version without that blur though.

i'm trying to figure out if professional bike photos, like the one below utilise a special sort of lens (tilt shift maybe?) to get rid of the left-side handle bar, of if it's photoshopped out afterwards. I've tried taking numerous shots of my own bikes, and if you line up the shot so the handlebars "seem as one" then the rest of the bike is out of perspective and the rear end looks smaller. any tips on how to get it right, or should I just photoshop that shizz out.

Drew.

Eats Squid
I love the lighting (did you strobe the jumps?), but the fake TS is ruining it for me. I just don't think it's the right kinda shot for it to start with, and it just looks like someone splooged vaso on your lens. I'd love to see a version without that blur though.
Non-vasoline version.

or

?

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Much better without the vaso.
As for those two, I think I prefer the gentler falloff of the main light in the first version, but I think maybe the colour balance looks a little better in the second; did you pull some of the yellow out of the ground?

That's just a personal preference though I guess.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Drew, I'm going to have to agree with Wombat on the TS style. It just doesn't work for this type of shot. The other thing the sherks me on this image is the rider looks like he's floating. Has he been shopped in?

Drew.

Eats Squid
Actually no he hasn't, him and the bike where the same exposure haha...

What do you guys think of the other 2 shots?

BT180

Max Pfaff
Cheap 1.5TB external HDD for around $100 on Zazz today.

I've been looking at getting one because I'm fast filling up the PC with pics and HD videos from the Canon.

Any reason I should not buy this one?

http://www.zazz.com.au/index.php

It's probably too cheap to be any good?!

Last edited:

Babau

Squid
Buy it. It's a good drive in a shitty cheap enclosure. When the USB controller in the enclosure dies just transplant the hard drive into a new enclosure which will cost you under $15.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Buy it. It's a good drive in a shitty cheap enclosure. When the USB controller in the enclosure dies just transplant the hard drive into a new enclosure which will cost you under $15.
if you do, buy 2 and have a back up of everything. That way, when it fails (read "when") at least you wont loose everything.

saMfish

Likes Dirt

Taken at 10:29:44 PM

Taken at 10:07:36 PM

Taken at 9:25:27 PM

So, my Samyang 8mm fisheye came today. I am in love. Love!
Love leaving focus ring at infinity and never worrying about it again. However, I do not love being literally chased by the po po for being in a heritage site :(
Mate's been caught there before, on the spot $500 fine and a criminal record for trespassing. Be careful out there, snobs :)

Last edited: