The gaming thread

goobags

Likes Dirt
Preordered Call of Duty MW2 for PS5 then down a controller rabbit hole somehow.

I have been a console gamer for as long as I can remember and only ever had one aftermarket controller for my N64. Couldn’t stomach spending $300+ on a pre-modified one so went the Extremerate route.

Rear buttons, digital triggers, clicky face buttons and extended thumb sticks. Came in well under the $300 including a new Sony OEM controller with more features and still comp legal for FPS gaming. Just have to completely strip the controller down and not break it.

Then the rabbit hole continued. I have always enjoyed fighting games, particularly Tekken and Mortal Kombat but always struggled with the d-pad. I have never used a fight stick except for in arcades. Didn’t want something that expensive or big and learnt about fightpads. So also got a Hori Fight Commander Octa.

Probably won’t make me much better, similar to bike upgrades but super keen to give the fight pad a go. Hopefully have the new controller tested before MW2 lands as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Still working through days gone... about another 4 main missions and cleaned it. This game is highly underrated and of the quality of Witcher 3 for the story. Next up we are playing Stray ( cause cats and wifey)

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Never did play Days Gone as launch impressions were all over the shop, may have to add it to the list of things to get back to. Heard good things about Stray, tempted to give it a look as well.

Just finished the main campaign for Horizon Forbidden West and will likely mop up the remaining side quests as it is just too much fun roaming around on my robot dinosaurs :)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Never did play Days Gone as launch impressions were all over the shop, may have to add it to the list of things to get back to. Heard good things about Stray, tempted to give it a look as well.

Just finished the main campaign for Horizon Forbidden West and will likely mop up the remaining side quests as it is just too much fun roaming around on my robot dinosaurs :)
Played horizon zero dawn? Epic storyline. Haven't done forbidden west as not on a console. Have to wait for it to hit PC

Dangals

Likes Dirt
Played horizon zero dawn? Epic storyline. Haven't done forbidden west as not on a console. Have to wait for it to hit PC
Yep, loved it and Forbidden West is basically just the same thing with a bigger map, more robots and some new weapons to use.

Story is good and visuals are just stunning on the PS5 - can only imagine what they will be like when available PC with a good rig once it is available

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yep, loved it and Forbidden West is basically just the same thing with a bigger map, more robots and some new weapons to use.

Story is good and visuals are just stunning on the PS5 - can only imagine what they will be like when available PC with a good rig once it is available
yeah when horizon zero dawn cam eout i bought a PS4 pro just to play it. Sold it styraight after. Would have done the same with a PS5, if i could get one at retail pricing lol.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
I couldnt get over the uncanny valley facial motion capture in hzd... the intro/tutorial as her as a little kid was fuuuucked. where's your neck???????????

I did finish it as hunting robot dinos was pretty cool, but so frustating setting up a crazy trap only for to not work and having to resort to arrow sniping for 30minutes tho

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I couldnt get over the uncanny valley facial motion capture in hzd... the intro/tutorial as her as a little kid was fuuuucked. where's your neck???????????

I did finish it as hunting robot dinos was pretty cool, but so frustating setting up a crazy trap only for to not work and having to resort to arrow sniping for 30minutes tho
dont recall needing to snipe anything for 30 mins. I generally play these games with abandon, creating asmuch action and risk as i can, so was usually close/mid range, dodging, rolling, hitting weak points and can say moth things wer dead in a matte rof a minute to a couple mins for bosses. Getting the secret armour set for the end was also imperative to this playstyle.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I had a moment of madness over the weekend and pre ordered the new Call of Duty. I got to play the Beta a few times and sheesh, it was a quick reminder of why I hate those games. I requested my Pre order be refunded by Playstation to which they acted on straight away.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I had a moment of madness over the weekend and pre ordered the new Call of Duty. I got to play the Beta a few times and sheesh, it was a quick reminder of why I hate those games. I requested my Pre order be refunded by Playstation to which they acted on straight away.
haha. shooters on consoles hurt my brain. Good move though.

Minlak

custom titis
I am liking the Playstation Ports to PC - Played through God of War again - Will buy Spiderman when I have my op this week - And Ragnarok is rumored to be ported with in 6 mths of Sony release - I use a PS 5 controller on the PC

goobags

Likes Dirt
Why don’t you like those games? I had an hour or two on it and thought the maps were laid out well and it was fairly balanced gameplay.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Why don’t you like those games? I had an hour or two on it and thought the maps were laid out well and it was fairly balanced gameplay.

In all honesty, I prefer to play games that require some strategy, patience, stealth etc. This stuff is just too hair trigger and far too reliant on how good your internet is. I hate to think I'm in a lobby full of people that have some kind of cheating going on (and I have no idea what is used to create these cheat-aids) but when I play a game where my kill death ratio is 3 kills and 34 deaths...........the winner of the match has the complete opposite. In the first 10 seconds of several games I played over the Beta weekend, I saw killstreaks appear the same second the first kill of the match appeared.
Anyway, no biggy. It isn't my kind of game but I see that its fun enough for a quick game or a social thing. We did a Rotorburn (Farkin) lobby a long time ago and it was hilarious.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
This perhaps belongs in the fuckwits thread. Got caught up in all the people selling their video cards now that ethereum is proof of stake, ie we no longer need to burn the equivalent electricity of Lithuania to mine crypto.

Went down the rabbit hole of looking at second hand RTX 3090 Tis for half the RRP. Ignored the obvious scams (https://gpus-for-mining.com/product-category/3090-ti/) and noticed that even some of the shops were having fire sales. Did the research on available waterblocks and hit paydirt. Scorptec had a refurbished Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 3090 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE 24G for $2399. Before you spray your coffee on the screen this is more than 50% off MSRP, and I can sell my water-cooled RTX 3080 for ~$1000. It's also less than a second hand card with a waterblock, so I get a 3 year local warranty as a bonus.

Yes I know the RTX 4090 is almost here but that will be $3500+ and require a $500 1000w power supply. This will allow me to squeeze another 4 years out of this generation of hardware.

SIEG PC MASTER RACE!

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Last edited: