The gaming thread

ausdb

Being who he is
Are there any xbox experts around? My son wants one for an upcoming 11th birthday a series S fits the budget, or should wait and save for a series X? It's not going on a 4k screen any time soon.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Are there any xbox experts around? My son wants one for an upcoming 11th birthday a series S fits the budget, or should wait and save for a series X? It's not going on a 4k screen any time soon.
Series x for sure.
I have a one at home and a series x at work (for team building reasons)
Some games are almost Unplayable when you compare the 2. Same game, same controller, same settings. but just can’t get the same results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at building my first ever PC,
Not really for gaming, but I do need to run my new ultrawide monitor. It seemed like a cheap gaming build would be the best way to make sure the graphics will be compatible and will also be able to use Display Port cable instead of HDMI.
Can anyone who knows anything see any glaring problems, mistakes or weakness in this build list?
I'm half tempted to spend $300 to go up to a 1660 graphics card and another $100 to go i5? I think that might be overkill?
If something doesn't work I am risking less money when every component is under $150

Attachments

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm looking at building my first ever PC,
Not really for gaming, but I do need to run my new ultrawide monitor. It seemed like a cheap gaming build would be the best way to make sure the graphics will be compatible and will also be able to use Display Port cable instead of HDMI.
Can anyone who knows anything see any glaring problems, mistakes or weakness in this build list?
I'm half tempted to spend $300 to go up to a 1660 graphics card and another $100 to go i5? I think that might be overkill?
If something doesn't work I am risking less money when every component is under $150
The AMD 5700g APU will cream the GTX 1030 at about the same price and use less power and create less heat doing so. If you get dedicated graphics later, you will also have a faster and cooler CPU. If you are worried about display port, there are decent hdmi to dp dongles for sale on Amazon.

I tend to prefer Gigabyte for motherboards, they just tend to be more stable than other brands due to solid engineering across the range. Look for a B450M WIFI on Amazon, or a B550M if you don't need the WiFi. Do not get a cheap X570 or a A320.

For $6 more you can get ram with better timings (Patriot Viper Steel 3200 cl16) on Amazon.

I don't know anything about that power supply in particular, but I always go for Corsair, which in this case is a 450W for the same price, or $30 more for a 550w for a bit of future proofing. Keep in mind that a crappy PSU can fry your computer, and burn down your house.

Finally I would compare prices between Amazon, Mwave, and maybe Scorptec. Msy aren't really competitive anymore.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Msy aren't really competitive anymore.
True... but they were the most helpful guys ever !

I have bought a load of stuff off them over the years but walk into the local store, 2 new Asian blokes behind the counter who have never seen me before. They will plug your computer in and sort your issue out, "how much mate"... "nothing"

Was a hard understand between the Irish-Asian accent breakdown but those blokes know their shit.

I usually upgrade something just out of appreciation. My first SSD came out of thanks.

Oddjob

True... but they were the most helpful guys ever !

I have bought a load of stuff off them over the years but walk into the local store, 2 new Asian blokes behind the counter who have never seen me before. They will plug your computer in and sort your issue out, "how much mate"... "nothing"

Was a hard understand between the Irish-Asian accent breakdown but those blokes know their shit.

I usually upgrade something just out of appreciation. My first SSD came out of thanks.
Msy are good to deal with, and a big plug to Techfast as well. I have found Mwave to be pretty good when dealing with warranty as well. Amazon have great delivery but you are well and truly on your own for warranty.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
My home theatre PC has the same CPU and GPU running on an Asus B560M-K. It's quiet and runs a 4k display without issue. I already had the GPU sitting around after a HEVC video experiment and built the rest of the system around it. My orders were between MWave and JW Computers but I also looked at PC Case Gear, PLE and Scorptec at the time. Managed to get free shipping on the case which is usually a killer.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
The AMD 5700g APU will cream the GTX 1030 at about the same price and use less power and create less heat doing so. If you get dedicated graphics later, you will also have a faster and cooler CPU.

I tend to prefer Gigabyte for motherboards.

get ram with better timings (Patriot Viper Steel 3200 cl16) on Amazon.

a crappy PSU can fry your computer, and burn down your house.
A few other people suggested that I'd be fine without a separate graphics card, but get a better processor.
I ended up going with;

i5 12400 with Graphics
Gigabyte B660M DS3H AX DDR4
Corsair Vengeance LPX Ryzen 16GB (2x8GB), PC4-25600 (3200MHz) DDR4
A faster WD SN570 500gb SSD
A better semi-modular 500w gold PSU from Be-quiet
Silverstone PS15 RGB case

Thanks, you helped me decide to get better RAM and PSU, and choosing gigabyte for motherboard

This ended up being $841, so $120 more than the i3/B560M/gt1030

Now to figure out what to do with it all when it arrives

Oddjob

A few other people suggested that I'd be fine without a separate graphics card, but get a better processor.
I ended up going with;

i5 12400 with Graphics

Thanks, you helped me decide to get better RAM and PSU, and choosing gigabyte for motherboard

Cool. I was just about to post this promotion https://www.ple.com.au/Products/647...4-APU-Retail-Box---With-Wraith-Stealth-Cooler.

In fairness, Intel has a better USB implementation and I've never had any gremlins with any of my Intel systems. My current AMD system is scary fast but it took a while for the BIOS updates to get the RAM and USB as stable as I would like.

If you do decide to do some gaming later I would expect the Nvidia 3000 series of cards to get significantly cheaper over the next 6 months. The price cuts have already begun on the 3090 and 3080 EVGA cards and I expect that lower level cards will start discounting soon too.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I looked at the 5700g, even that deal is $80 more than the 12400, which put me off, and I've always had intel.
Maybe a cheap AMD compatible motherboard would have balanced it out, but I didn't get that far.

I got this bundle. I checked the compatibility of the parts, but I'd hope a bundle is a safe buy for a 'noob'

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Help! I am a complete noob and haven't built a computer for 20+ years but have been trawelling through these posts recently... My partner needs a tower type thingy for working from home..she bought a dell all in one pc with a 27inch screen during EOFY sales, but it was complete poo and wouldn't let her run the resolution she requires for her work, so it got sent back. So she has now bought a 4k screen (similar to what she has at work, runs at 2560x1440minimum) but obviously needs something to plug into it. She does scientific medical mumbo jumbo analysis (graphs and squiggly lines and obviously lots of text too) and needs clarity and high res.
If someone wants to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated,
I'm not really sure if I need a seperate graphics card, but I think something similar specced to what @andrew9 posted would probably do the job ..
Happy to have a crack at building it, but if there is something already together that doesn't have 16 multi coloured fans on it that would probably do too...
Cheers.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Help! I am a complete noob and haven't built a computer for 20+ years but have been trawelling through these posts recently... My partner needs a tower type thingy for working from home..she bought a dell all in one pc with a 27inch screen during EOFY sales, but it was complete poo and wouldn't let her run the resolution she requires for her work, so it got sent back. So she has now bought a 4k screen (similar to what she has at work, runs at 2560x1440minimum) but obviously needs something to plug into it. She does scientific medical mumbo jumbo analysis (graphs and squiggly lines and obviously lots of text too) and needs clarity and high res.
If someone wants to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated,
I'm not really sure if I need a separate graphics card, but I think something similar specced to what @andrew9 posted would probably do the job ..
Happy to have a crack at building it, but if there is something already together that doesn't have 16 multi coloured fans on it that would probably do too...
Cheers.
Don't ask me! I don't know if what I'm building will be good or not.

I was almost going to get one of these ASUS ROG STRIX things from officeworks, reviews say they're not bad, but they're ugly and not that cheap.

I kind of benchmarked my build off it, if I add the same graphics card I will have a very similar spec, not that I'll need it.

Unless I missed something it seems like a laptop is the best value for general use.

I'm building a desktop so I don't add to my pile of old laptops any more, I hope to just upgrade components as needed instead

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Don't ask me! I don't know if what I'm building will be good or not.

I was almost going to get one of these ASUS ROG STRIX things from officeworks, reviews say they're not bad, but they're ugly and not that cheap.

I kind of benchmarked my build off it, if I add the same graphics card I will have a very similar spec, not that I'll need it.

Unless I missed something it seems like a laptop is the best value for general use.

I'm building a desktop so I don't add to my pile of old laptops any more, I hope to just upgrade components as needed instead
You have to factor in that a laptop graphics card is almost always a watered down version of the desktop one. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of a gaming laptop and I prefer the versatility, but a 3060 mobile is not a 3060.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

andrew9

Likes Dirt
I ended up going with;

i5 12400 with Graphics

A quick update,

I built this thing last weekend. Including watching a different youtube video for basically every step, it took just under four hours to put together.
Nothing about it was hard, except maybe reading the tiny writing on the motherboard. I reckon I could do it in about an hour next time.

Setup went smoothly. It was quicker to install and setup windows 11, than just setting up my last computer with windows already installed, because of all the bloatware that came with it that I had to remove or manage.
The windows key from my six year old laptop worked to get windows 11 for free, so that was a bonus.
I used a workaround so I could do the final install of windows 11 offline, to prevent it including some advertising tracking stuff, disable crash reporting and not having to link to a Microsoft account.

It's been a great experience, it was just a series of fairly involved, but easy steps.
New computer is superfast, boots up to windows being ready in like 10 seconds

I downloaded 'RGB fusion' so I can control the rainbow vomit RGB fans from windows, I ended up setting them to a dull blue.

Job Done.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
Good work, I've been putting my pcs together since the early 00s, and my last one a few years ago (after a few years break) still took a couple hours; making sure everything is in the right spot, pushed in properly, why isn't it booting, hoping for no magic smoke
For me the part i used to always get wrong was the header pins for the power/reset switches, hd activity lights etc etc - and its still not standardised!

Now that my kids are a bit older I can play some gooder games without worrying - remember one time one of them walking by as i was playing one of the tomb raider reboot games just as lara was getting eaten by a bear!
I recently finished xcom2 with them cheering on their favourite soldiers

Now just playing some of the short online games like rocket league and fall guys, waiting for the older boy's bday because we got the new tmnt shredders game revenge - we'll play that as 4 player co-op as a family