The gaming thread

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Highly recommend going through the campaign fully before wandering about too much as you get a horse to ride around Act 4 of the campaign which makes traversing the map sooooooo much better.
Haven't made it very far yet and am surprised at the level already.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Probably best to keep scrolling as this isn't exactly current news but I've used some current home alone time to try out Doom (the 2016 one).

Really enjoying how it forces you to take the fight to the enemy rather than endless repetitive cover based shooting beloved of shitty COD franchises. Instead my tactics are just running around like a moron until everything but me is dead (which is pretty much exactly how I played the original Dooms in the 1990s from memory). Graphics still look great for what's a 7 year old game too.

teK--

Eats Squid
Probably best to keep scrolling as this isn't exactly current news but I've used some current home alone time to try out Doom (the 2016 one).

Really enjoying how it forces you to take the fight to the enemy rather than endless repetitive cover based shooting beloved of shitty COD franchises. Instead my tactics are just running around like a moron until everything but me is dead (which is pretty much exactly how I played the original Dooms in the 1990s from memory). Graphics still look great for what's a 7 year old game too.
I still love that Doom. It is easy to just pickup whenever and blast a few levels without an ongoing commitment or having to grind for hours to complete missions.

Good soundtrack too.

LPG

likes thicc birds

I haven't played any modern dooms but I remember playing the original Serious Sam on the og Xbox. Serious sam which was a homage and/or parody to the early doom, Duke Nukem etc games. It would basically just give you bigger and more unbelievable guns to match the bigger and stronger hordes of enemies. Was a great break from the realistic games that were coming out. I remember one level where you just got a Minigun. Next thing you were in a massive courtyard and hundreds of enemies spawn on the other side hundreds of metres from you. You had to just let the Minigun shoot constantly mowing then down as they ran at you. Was a great reminder that things didn't need to be realistic to be awesome fun.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I haven't played any modern dooms but I remember playing the original Serious Sam on the og Xbox. Serious sam which was a homage and/or parody to the early doom, Duke Nukem etc games. It would basically just give you bigger and more unbelievable guns to match the bigger and stronger hordes of enemies. Was a great break from the realistic games that were coming out. I remember one level where you just got a Minigun. Next thing you were in a massive courtyard and hundreds of enemies spawn on the other side hundreds of metres from you. You had to just let the Minigun shoot constantly mowing then down as they ran at you. Was a great reminder that things didn't need to be realistic to be awesome fun.
90% of that game was just running backwards while strafing side to side. :p

LPG

likes thicc birds
90% of that game was just running backwards while strafing side to side. :p
That brings back memories. The long range shots from most enemies were fire or magic balls that travelled slowly so moving side to side seemed to work well.

A big difference to Dayz and Pubg that I have been playing for the last while. Getting a single Kill in those can be more of an achievement than 1000 in Serious sam :)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I haven't played any modern dooms but I remember playing the original Serious Sam on the og Xbox.
My most vivid memory of that game (amongst the explosions and laughing) was the headless yelling bomb dudes and thinking "how can they be yelling when they have no heads?"
Turns out Serious Sam wasn't very serious.
Anyway, give new Doom a go. Favourite bit so far was when you find the chainsaw your character looks bemused like wtf is a chainsaw here in the middle of a research base on Mars. Then shrugs his shoulders and fires it up.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Doom 2016 is easily the best game of the modern era, just a perfect blend of heart pumping gameplay and spectacular music and effects. Especially when you consider the other available shooters at the time, it really was a return to form

Doom eternal was pretty good, even improved on 2016 in some ways, but added too much for my tastes so just didn't have as much fun with it.

If you like the music and gameplay of doom 2016, have a crack at metal hellsinger. It's like they threw doom, guitar hero, and dethklok in a room together with some wine and a Barry White record and this is what popped out 9 months later. Absolute blast

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Doom 2016 is easily the best game of the modern era, just a perfect blend of heart pumping gameplay and spectacular music and effects. Especially when you consider the other available shooters at the time, it really was a return to form
It really is a stand out title. so fluid, looks super and just a bunch of fun.

I messed myself up on it and lost my mojo on one of those Mars levels. I missed one of the collectibles so *had* to go back to the start of the level to fix that problem. Which was fine but also had to redo the Rune trials, which mosltly seem to shit me no end. Doh! I really enjoyed it but loathe to have to do those trials again.

The disc is still in the tray and tempting me all of the time to put on my big man pants again :cool: It is unfinished business.

teK--

Eats Squid
It really is a stand out title. so fluid, looks super and just a bunch of fun.

I messed myself up on it and lost my mojo on one of those Mars levels. I missed one of the collectibles so *had* to go back to the start of the level to fix that problem. Which was fine but also had to redo the Rune trials, which mosltly seem to shit me no end. Doh! I really enjoyed it but loathe to have to do those trials again.

The disc is still in the tray and tempting me all of the time to put on my big man pants again :cool: It is unfinished business.
Haha the rune trials i also hated!

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Had my first Hell Knight encounter. F*** me they've been upgraded a bit from the o.g version - the snot throwing angry cow has been replaced by a hairless godzilla with the pace of a 916. Alarming.

Starting to not look forward to my first Arch Vile encounter...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Haha the rune trials i also hated!
Just did the first couple last night - may have skipped the second one. Are they meant to be really frustrating cus that's the vibe they're giving off.

Also ran into the first couple of Summoners (holy shit etc.) First one took an entire Plasma magazine to put down, second one I helpfully found a beserk sphere and (I think) I just headbutted it into the next dimension in a miasma of rage death. SO SATISFYING

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Anyone keen on Baldurs Gate 3? Might have fallen onto the hype train for this one. Not sure about the turn baswd combat but DnD without having to meet people? Sign me up

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Anyone keen on Baldurs Gate 3? Might have fallen onto the hype train for this one. Not sure about the turn baswd combat but DnD without having to meet people? Sign me up
Can you spell powergame? Currently downloading the 108gb whopper. If you haven't bought it yet use a VPN to purchase it from GOG while in Ukraine for $USD29.99. You can thank me later.

I hope you have a glass cannon sniper build ready. I'm building a clarlock tank with some truly broken AOE damage mechanics.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk