The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I'm over the Labor Party thinking that it's possible to continue expanding mining and burning fossil fuels instead of stopping. Most of the rest of their stuff sits with my ethos pretty well but they are not serious about climate change.
Arguably that's how Labor lost the last election by haemorrhaging votes in Queensland, NSW etc. hence why they're tip toeing around the issue now imo.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I didn't bother watching this rubbish last night, I refuse to watch unless is is on the ABC, and Scotty won't do it apparently. WTF.
I watched a few minutes and it seemed nothing more than a 'yell louder than the other guy so I get the airtime' slagging match.
Got back to YouTube cat videos instead :D

Having these two buffoons as the choice of leaders is the very sad part. The farqwittery is real.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I feel like that's the other way around with the Greens and Labor. Maybe that one time where they refused to set low targets that everybody hates them forever for doing?

But whenever I have seen the question of a coalition of Labor-Greens it's always Labor saying no way. We have that coalition here in ACT and it works well AFAICS.

Serious question, what shit of theirs are you over?

I'm over the Labor Party thinking that it's possible to continue expanding mining and burning fossil fuels instead of stopping. Most of the rest of their stuff sits with my ethos pretty well but they are not serious about climate change. They are happy to give rich people tax breaks with these ridiculous stage 3 tax cuts that nobody actually needs and that will continue to drive up inflation, and make the government billions of dollars poorer.

I will get the tax cut I don't want, it won't make a lick of difference to how much I spend day-to-day to create the trickle down, it will just pay the house off a little tiny bit faster, which benefits nobody but me, even the bank loses because they get less interest.
The Greens' record on women, specifically behind the scenes bullying and sexism.

AFAIK it's the Greens who refuse to work with Labor.

Even so, my second preference after Labor is the Greens. Liberals last, and i hate them even more for making me preference PHON and UAP above them.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I feel like that's the other way around with the Greens and Labor. Maybe that one time where they refused to set low targets that everybody hates them forever for doing?

But whenever I have seen the question of a coalition of Labor-Greens it's always Labor saying no way. We have that coalition here in ACT and it works well AFAICS.

Serious question, what shit of theirs are you over?

I'm over the Labor Party thinking that it's possible to continue expanding mining and burning fossil fuels instead of stopping. Most of the rest of their stuff sits with my ethos pretty well but they are not serious about climate change. They are happy to give rich people tax breaks with these ridiculous stage 3 tax cuts that nobody actually needs and that will continue to drive up inflation, and make the government billions of dollars poorer.

I will get the tax cut I don't want, it won't make a lick of difference to how much I spend day-to-day to create the trickle down, it will just pay the house off a little tiny bit faster, which benefits nobody but me, even the bank loses because they get less interest.
It probably won't happen, but this could be a way the greens could get close or closer to the outcomes they want.

If the LNP are running the place - like now, the climate targets and policies are weak and optional and nowhere near what they probably need to be.

If Labor is running the place - then the climate targets and policies are better than the LNP's crappy coal corrupted offerings, but not quite where they need to be.

If Labor has almost enough seats to form government, and the greens decide to work with them, - then the climate targets and policies have a much greater chance of being close/closer to what the greens want, and what the climate scientists say we need to be doing.

BUT, if the Greens tell Labor to get fucked and refuse to be even the tiniest bit flexible on their principles - that's great, but then they will achieve Fuck All. Their principles won't help the climate and environment if they never get a chance to put them into legislation.

If better climate policies are enacted - and the People of Australia see that it doesn't "fuck the economy" or "destroy our way of life" like the LNP and murdoch Bullshit artists say etc etc, THEN, there is an opportunity to make them even better and more conducive to the health of the environment - and us.

If I recall correctly, during the Rudd/Gillard govt years, we could have had an emissions trading scheme, but the Greens wouldn't vote for it, because it wasn't quite what they wanted. It would have been much better to have one that functioned ok, then tweak it to make it better, but we didn't get the chance, IMO, because the greens weren't happy, so labor could get fucked, as far as they were concerned.

(keep in mind that I agree with most if not all greens policy, but not so hot on the veganism, YMMV)

Freediver

I can go full Karen
If I recall correctly, during the Rudd/Gillard govt years, we could have had an emissions trading scheme, but the Greens wouldn't vote for it, because it wasn't quite what they wanted. It would have been much better to have one that functioned ok, then tweak it to make it better, but we didn't get the chance, IMO, because the greens weren't happy, so labor could get fucked, as far as they were concerned.

(keep in mind that I agree with most if not all greens policy, but not so hot on the veganism, YMMV)
You're repeating the spin the two majors put on this.
It was very bad policy.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
The Greens' record on women, specifically behind the scenes bullying and sexism.

AFAIK it's the Greens who refuse to work with Labor.
It's sad that the party meant to be the best on women's issues has a record of not being the best :(

On refusing to work, not from my "research" :D

Labor still calls them "fringe", they really need to grow up a little and hopefully this election forces them to with a strong Greens/Climate 200 balance of power. There's a few other articles kicking around but other than the ETS incident can't find anything on Greens refusing Labor. I would say I always get the feeling they both know they need to but just can't quite admit it.

People hang onto this so much, even fuckers who will never ever vote Green try to tell me this is why they "can never forgive the Greens", when actually they are just capitalists who didn't give much of a fuck about the climate at the time :(

It would have been abolished when Abbott got in anyway, and may have made the coalition win even stronger because at the time much more of Australia was still igrnorant/CBF on climate change. It may not have been a good call at the time, certainly the Greens have paid for it in moderate left leaning people using it as a way of saying Greens are extreme vegan hippies who want everyone living in caves.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Still with the spin from the majors. No, there was no ability for tweaks in the legislation without massive payouts to polluters. Read my link.
Thanks for the link, had not seen it before, explains what happened really well.

@Norco Maniac quote from that link, Labor are the kooks here:

We’re committed to working with Labor, and we will keep trying. We reached out to Bill Shorten before the 2019 election, and we're working to find common ground with Anthony Albanese.

We have a lot of work to do in encouraging the Labor party to work with us as Julia Gillard did, when we delivered world-leading climate laws, but we remain optimistic. With unrelenting pressure from the community, the Greens can work with Labor for better outcomes.

It's already happening in the ACT. Since 2008, the ACT Greens have been in shared government with ACT Labor. Through collaboration, negotiation and mutual respect, we have built the most progressive and inclusive government in the country. In 2020 the ACT became the first state/territory in Australia to hit 100% clean, green, renewable energy.

ForkinGreat

Still with the spin from the majors. No, there was no ability for tweaks in the legislation without massive payouts to polluters. Read my link.
I suggest to you that what you are saying is a reflexive assumption. not spin, a genuine question. . If I thought the greens could actually grab enough seats to form a government, I would likely vote for them.
As it is, I am in an electorate with a lot of rusted on liberal voters who probably aren't that rich that they would greatly benefit from LNP policies, yet those same dumb cunts vote for evil shitstains who will destroy what's left of medicare, nuke pensions, and on and on.
in my electorate, the lnp got around half the primary vote, and the rest was split 60/40 (approx) between Labor and the Greens.

ForkinGreat

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
If I thought the greens could actually grab enough seats to form a government, I would likely vote for them…
…in my electorate, the lnp got around half the primary vote, and the rest was split 60/40 (approx) between Labor and the Greens.
Curious, why not vote Greens then preference Labor ahead of the LNP then? If the Greens won’t win your electorate your vote will still go to Labor ahead of the LNP, but you also “message” Labor that you are dissatisfied with their centre-right leanings.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Curious, why not vote Greens then preference Labor ahead of the LNP then? If the Greens won’t win your electorate your vote will still go to Labor ahead of the LNP, but you also “message” Labor that you are dissatisfied with their centre-right leanings.

I've been applying a similar theory in my very safe Labor electorate for years. Surely if enough of "us" who have left leaning or green leaning or red leaning or whatever it is preference our votes accordingly, when the dust settles and all the analysis is done a swing away from conservative options can be seen? It may not be huge, but it will be there and as it grows attention Gould eventually be paid to it.

ForkinGreat

It's something that I would consider.
@Tubbsy - I am highly allergic to blindly following 'how to vote' cards. I used to take fucking ages to fill the senate ballot in. HOR is mercifully brief.

ideal outcome is libs losing the seat, if that doesn't happen, not sure greens 1, labor 2 is going to rock my world, but the gravitational drag of stupid has historically been strong in my electorate.
The Greens put labor 4th and libs 5th respectively on this particular ticket. Curious as to why. Surely they would put libs last and jabba 2nd last.