The election thread - Two middle-late aged white men trying to be blokey and convincing..., same old shit, FFS.

Who will you vote for?

• Liberals

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Labor

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Nationals

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Greens

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Independant

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • The Clive Palmer shit show

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Shooters and Fishers Party

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • One Nation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Donkey/Invalid vote

Votes: 3 4.5%

• Total voters

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Wouldn't that just be another form of increase on the GST? (I have no idea)
That shows just how astronomical tax avoidance is. There would be no GST required, nor income tax. No subsidies, no fringe benefits tax, no writing off the interest on my 37th investment property.

@Oddjob , I don't think it ignores taxing wealth. It would actually make it much simpler and easier to collect their share. If they buy a loaf of bread for $5, they pay 2.5 cents tax. If they sell 1 million dollars worth of coal, they pay $5000 tax. These figures are trifling, even for the poorest amongst our communities. All the loopholes, and creative accountancy are taken away.

The filthy rich can continue being filthy rich, but they are dribbling a few shekels into the tax system. The poor, lower middle, and middle increase their wealth, because they are paying far less than they currently are, yet still paying their fair and equal share.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I stopped getting cards made up years ago. Was too much hassle as they went out of date so fast… Same job for 10 years, at least a dozen different department names.
This may come as a shock, but that doesn't surprise me.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
That shows just how astronomical tax avoidance is. There would be no GST required, nor income tax. No subsidies, no fringe benefits tax, no writing off the interest on my 37th investment property.

@Oddjob , I don't think it ignores taxing wealth. It would actually make it much simpler and easier to collect their share. If they buy a loaf of bread for $5, they pay 2.5 cents tax. If they sell 1 million dollars worth of coal, they pay $5000 tax. These figures are trifling, even for the poorest amongst our communities. All the loopholes, and creative accountancy are taken away.

The filthy rich can continue being filthy rich, but they are dribbling a few shekels into the tax system. The poor, lower middle, and middle increase their wealth, because they are paying far less than they currently are, yet still paying their fair and equal share.
What you're talking about is a transaction tax, aka a Tobin tax. It's essentially the most damaging form of taxation, because it creates a big dead weight loss, see below.

It's also regressive because poorer people would pay a higher proportion of their income in tax than rich people. This already happens with GST which is a value added tax (yes there's a difference) but it's even more so with a Tobin tax. If you want to do some reading I'll see if I can dig up a good reference for you.

Better taxes are taxes on rents, because they have a small dead weight loss. Things like land tax, taxes on natural monopolies, gambling and smoking taxes.

The single best taxes are death duties, but people HATE these.

I hate to burst your bubble but the filthy rich pay a lot of tax. I can't find the source right now, but the top 20% pay 80% of income tax from memory. If we introduced death duties or a broad based land tax, the wealth transfer would be much higher.

Compared to what Australia could collect from its people through a better tax system, the Minerals Super Profits Tax is chump change.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I hate to burst your bubble but the filthy rich pay a lot of tax. I can't find the source right now, but the top 20% pay 80% of income tax from memory.
It was a Deloitte Access Economics report from 2018 or 2017 IIRC. Grattan institute did one too around the same time.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Isn't a Tobin tax a tax on international currency exchange?
That's what it was originally proposed on. It's now a shorthand for low value transaction taxes.

An example is a 1c tax on share trades to limit high frequency trading.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I mean, I don’t eat there, and their coffee probably isn’t the best, but sounds a bit harsh.
If Ronald needs to let off a little steam, a bit of time with the hookers and coke probably isn't going to end the world.

I worked in the bar at a large strip show last night, so I reckon I know a thing or three about dick swinging now...