The cooking thread

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@ausdb what's that sweet vermouth you have like? I generally just run the standard low cost bar vermouths, but have been tempted to step it up a little when this current one runs out.

Also, while it isn't esse finally cooking I filtered off my mulberry gin just now. It is fucking awesome as long as you like mulberries. I had intended to make some jam from the Mulberries but they tasted like shit so are now compost. No photo as it just looks like a dark coloured liquid.

ausdb

Being who he is
@pink poodle to be honest, I'm not really a vermouth connoisseur myself but my mate is from Venice and pretty particular with his amaro based drinks. He was using it when he introduced me to Americanos and Negronis so I just followed suit. I like it but don't really have much of a frame of reference. I was reading somewhere last week that said vermouths had a limited shelf life once opened which is a bit of a bummer as the one litre bottles are a bit on the large size.

Mulberry gin sounds awesome, what gin did you use as the base spirit?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks. Will continue to explore options blindly...

Vermouth is a type of fortified wine, so has a similar shelf life. Yet it isn't the sort of thing you often wake up one day and decide to drink a litre of before the next sunrise.

Gin used was a "what's cheapest?" choice...In this case it was Mayfair (green label) from uncle Dan. Just poured it into a passata jar that was about 20% full of mulberries, shook dry vigorously, left it on the bench for a few weeks, shook it every now and then, and ran it through a sieve.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This

Became

Burnt butter cream sauce that may have accidentally have a couple of teaspoons of crushed peppercorns added to it. Might have forgotten to steam the garlic asparagus... oops.

And you will never find ravioli and tomato garlic sauce with chips on a menu but trust me it be good.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This is seriously worth making, looks like a lot of steps but actually the times are real. The beef cooks in seconds and the rest the same, prep is about 15-20 but after that it goes quickly. Chuck the rice on when you marinade the beef. As it is a dry marinade I will try this again in the airfryer.

It is not a Mongolian beef as per Chinese restaurants or takeaways but it is delicious.

Crispy Sticky Mongolian Beef | RecipeTin Eats

One on the we are having this again list!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
PSA - if you're having tacos, and love guacamole, spread the guac on a soft tortilla and press it to the outside of a hard Taco shell.

This solves two problems:
  1. You don't waste precious inner Taco shell space - MOAR MEAT; and
  2. Keeps the Taco together, so it doesn't matter if the hard shell cracks while you're eating it.

This is the true meaning of "why not both?".

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This whole end of lockdown is making it hard to find time to cook anything. Off to work in a few minutes...wanted eggs but they're out of date. Wanted something other than the porridge I have every other day...veggie crispier is a fucking science experiment. Some sausages a few days short of expiry. Came up with oven baked sausages on spicy broccolini and bull horn chilli.

Camera lense has gone to shit. I'm not sure of I have finger blasted it too much and left baked on finger oil or I've sanded back the surface rubbing the finger blasting residue off it all the time!

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
So doing a pasta bake. I par cooked some rigatoni, cooled it and stood them it up in a tray on their ends, tightly packed.

Filled every other one with cheese, then piped in bolognese in the others. Bam.

ausdb

Being who he is
So doing a pasta bake. I par cooked some rigatoni, cooled it and stood them it up in a tray on their ends, tightly packed.

Filled every other one with cheese, then piped in bolognese in the others. Bam.
Sounds delicious but was it worth the effort factor?