Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Head has never been off this engine. This is the first time it’s ever been opened in any way!
It's gotten in there somehow, something that someone has dismantled and washed maybe an oil cooler, or timing cover, unless there is a small leak in the engine that changes with heat.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I've been toying with the idea of a fast car recently. Does anyone make anything that's like the Toyota 86 but fast that's not 100K? I like European Berlinetta style coupés (2+2 seaters generally) but they all seem like I couldn't really afford them.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Alpine A110 is apparently very fine. Might be able to get a lightly used one under 100k.

Older Z4M Coupe or Porsche Cayman.

All two seaters tho. Can't think of much new, maybe the new Nissan Z but it looks a bit weird.

rstim

Likes Dirt
I've been toying with the idea of a fast car recently. Does anyone make anything that's like the Toyota 86 but fast that's not 100K? I like European Berlinetta style coupés (2+2 seaters generally) but they all seem like I couldn't really afford them.
Are you only looking for something new?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Take it from someone who owns a 600hp car. Just get the 86. It's quick enough to enjoy on the road and there's plenty of affordable mods to make it awesome on the track.

Anything quicker than an 86 will be a pig in traffic and you won't be able to even touch it's abilities within 100km of a major city.

Don't even think about a second hand Porsche. The older Boxsters are cheap for a reason and they still cost Porsche money to maintain.

Gr Supra is just an uglier Z4M (and that's saying something), so that means all of the shitty plastic BMW engine ancillaries.

If you must get something quicker, the GR Yaris or the even quicker GR Corolla Morizo Edition would be my picks.

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
Take it from someone who owns a 600hp car. Just get the 86. It's quick enough to enjoy on the road and there's plenty of affordable mods to make it awesome on the track.

Anything quicker than an 86 will be a pig in traffic and you won't be able to even touch it's abilities within 100km of a major city.

Don't even think about a second hand Porsche. The older Boxsters are cheap for a reason and they still cost Porsche money to maintain.

Gr Supra is just an uglier Z4M (and that's saying something), so that means all of the shitty plastic BMW engine ancillaries.

If you must get something quicker, the GR Yaris or the even quicker GR Corolla Morizo Edition would be my picks.

600hp, is that one blip of the throttle for 1 milli second on the dyno before the engine explodes into a million pieces?

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Are you only looking for something new?
Should have been clear, second hand. New would be even more eye watering.

I've been taking a quick look and it seems fast cars are much more than I thought and depreciation hasn't hit as hard as I've hoped. Maybe it's as silly of an idea as I thought.

Alpine A110 is apparently very fine. Might be able to get a lightly used one under 100k.

All two seaters tho. Can't think of much new, maybe the new Nissan Z but it looks a bit weird.
The three A110s on Carsales at the moment are $105k, $120l and $115k. The manual 918 Caymen are the ~$200K GT4 model. I'm not interested in soft-tops nor cabriolets so no Z4.

I took a look at 1Ms, they'd be great but they start at 70k for more than a decade old car.

@Oddjob I know hot hatches are the sensible option but they're not as sexy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Depends on your definition of fast though. My M2 was a sub 4s to 100 car but is slower around the track than a well set up mx5 or gr86. RS Focus or GRY are pretty decent and easy to get under 5s to 100 and handle as well as pretty much anything. The Alpine is not as fast as I expected and the Z is a pig unless you spend insane $. One of the club guys has just bought a 370Z. VK engine punching 700hp, suspenders cut off and whole new space frame fitted, oh and a transaxle.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
The three A110s on Carsales at the moment are $105k, $120l and $115k. The manual 918 Caymen are the ~$200K GT4 model. I'm not interested in soft-tops nor cabriolets so no Z4.
I’m factoring in some negotiation obviously, assuming you could get one of those Alpines down to 100k if it floats your boat. They are meant to be very good.

This is the kind of Cayman I was thinking. Gearing isn’t ideal, but still a fine car. Engine is better than early 987s which are to be avoided.

Euro service costs don’t bug me particularly, but I’ve never owned Japanese so maybe I’m missing out @Oddjob.

These are the z4m I like, and the E46 M3 of the time. Maybe a bit old but they have the noise and a bit of character.

It’s all very personal of course. I’ve had enough hot hatches over the years, the format bores me now.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I’m factoring in some negotiation obviously, assuming you could get one of those Alpines down to 100k if it floats your boat. They are meant to be very good.
To be clear, I don't have 100k to spend on a fast car. It was more a case of lots of "that's a cool car", "oh, they're a hundred k plus". If anything I'd be looking at half that. I think it'll be a case of looking at what's out there, working out rough TCO then deciding if it's something I actually want to do.

Depends on your definition of fast though. My M2 was a sub 4s to 100 car but is slower around the track than a well set up mx5 or gr86. RS Focus or GRY are pretty decent and easy to get under 5s to 100 and handle as well as pretty much anything.
0-100 in 6 seconds is probably sufficiently perky. It's more for spirited street driving then actual laptimes. I still need far more practice to make the numbers go down.

Oddjob

600hp, is that one blip of the throttle for 1 milli second on the dyno before the engine explodes into a million pieces?
Nope. That's 7 track days before needing to spend $23k on a weapons grade gearbox. It looks like a standard GTR up top but now handles and whines like a Le Mans GT3 racer.

Oddjob

0-100 in 6 seconds is probably sufficiently perky. It's more for spirited street driving then actual laptimes. I still need far more practice to make the numbers go down.
In that case get the 86.

Spirited driving in a really powerful car is just impossible. Their capabilities are simply too high for shitty Australian roads.

If you really need to burn money the F-Type S handles amazingly well and there are early supercharged 6 cylinder models with low mileage at ok prices. A simple ECU tune will get you 300kw, perhaps more with a better exhaust.

The 370Z doesn't look or handle as well out of the box but they are cheaper, there are a bazillion upgrades at reasonable prices and you can do clever things like buy someone elses track prepped car https://www.my105.com/search/make-nissan-model-370z/car-bike-kart

And then drop a race prepped, dry sump motor into it, because you can. https://www.my105.com/search/detail...b-4754-9b57-19fcf18bec7c?source=BROWSE_ACTIVE

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
FWIW the Z I was referring to is the new one, if warranty etc was important @wesdadude

Haven't read any reviews about them though as the Jap stuff doesn't interest me hugely, but 300kw sounds ample.

I've had a lot of wheel time in the older Z (my brother had one), found it a bit agricultural for my taste.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I've had a lot of wheel time in the older Z (my brother had one), found it a bit agricultural for my taste.
Yeah a mate had a 350Z for a bit and didn't really rate it for the same reasons, but I'd still have one. Big, dumb and vaguely accessible - 370Z would be the pick for me.