Little Things You Love

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've got bigger callouses from ummmm riding my bike and opening wine bottles than those delicate hands.

Reminds me...among the various dunces I work with is a fellow who either refuses to learn or can't, I don't give a shit which. I turn my back for a few moments on Saturday and he sells a full bottle of sparkling wine (no worries) to a customer and just hands over the bottle (big problem!). So I swiftly catch the customer who thinks I am trying to confiscate their wine "I paid for this!". I know you did, but the government says I have to open it for you and you'll probably want some glasses to drink it with. So he reluctantly hands me the bottle and I begin the process of opening it. Except...the cork jams! Now I'm standing in the middle of a few hundred people wrestling this jammed cork and the customer (who is a fair bit bigger than me) offers "I can open that for you if you need some help?". Fortunately I got the win and put came the stubborn cork eventually.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
From the NYT:

Magpies’ latest mischief has been to outwit the scientists who would study them. Scientists showed in a study published last month in the journal Australian Field Ornithology just how clever magpies really are and, in the process, revealed a highly unusual example in nature of birds helping one another without any apparent tangible benefit to themselves.

In 2019 Dominique Potvin, an animal ecologist at University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia, set out to study magpie social behavior. She and her team spent around six months perfecting a harness that would carry miniature tracking devices in a way that was unintrusive for magpies. They believed it would be nearly impossible for magpies to remove the harnesses from their own bodies.

Dr. Potvin and her team attached the tracking devices and the birds flew off, showing no signs of obvious distress. Then everything began to unravel.
“The first tracker was off half an hour after we put it on,” she said. “We were literally packing up our gear and watching it happen.”

In a remarkable act of cooperation, the magpie wearing the tracker remained still while the other magpie worked at the harness with its beak. Within 20 minutes, the helping magpie had found the only weak point — a single clasp, barely a millimeter long — and snipped it with its beak. Dr. Potvin and her team later saw different magpies removing harnesses from two other birds outfitted with them.

The scientists took six months to reach this point. Within three days, the magpies had removed all five devices.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
From the NYT:

Magpies’ latest mischief has been to outwit the scientists who would study them. Scientists showed in a study published last month in the journal Australian Field Ornithology just how clever magpies really are and, in the process, revealed a highly unusual example in nature of birds helping one another without any apparent tangible benefit to themselves.

In 2019 Dominique Potvin, an animal ecologist at University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia, set out to study magpie social behavior. She and her team spent around six months perfecting a harness that would carry miniature tracking devices in a way that was unintrusive for magpies. They believed it would be nearly impossible for magpies to remove the harnesses from their own bodies.

Dr. Potvin and her team attached the tracking devices and the birds flew off, showing no signs of obvious distress. Then everything began to unravel.
“The first tracker was off half an hour after we put it on,” she said. “We were literally packing up our gear and watching it happen.”

In a remarkable act of cooperation, the magpie wearing the tracker remained still while the other magpie worked at the harness with its beak. Within 20 minutes, the helping magpie had found the only weak point — a single clasp, barely a millimeter long — and snipped it with its beak. Dr. Potvin and her team later saw different magpies removing harnesses from two other birds outfitted with them.

The scientists took six months to reach this point. Within three days, the magpies had removed all five devices.
"without any apparent tangible benefit to themselves"

Aren't magpies known hoarders i.e. they steal trinkets, jewellery etc. Maybe they were removing it as a keepsake?

Irrespective, clever birds when they want to be. Stupid during breeding season.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
How's the name...

University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia

That must be very marketable to foreign students. Come and live the dream at University of the Sunshine Coast in Australia.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Aren't magpies known hoarders i.e. they steal trinkets, jewellery etc. Maybe they were removing it as a keepsake?

Bowerbirds are the ones that usually flog stuff.

Freediver

I can go full Karen

That was European magpies and is a myth.
Bowerbirds are the ones that usually flog stuff.
Anything that isn't nailed down and blue. An uncle of mine used to reload his shotgun shells and they went into his shed and took the blue ones, my aunt used to put blue pegs on the clothes line and watch the birds struggle to get them off.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Awesome tradies. They do exist. Auto electrician guy had a red hot go at working out why the Megane still has a wonky idle, and he did all sorts of research and head stretching and scoped the waveform on some things. But came up empty...

And didnt charge me at all for it! Think I better drop past a six pack next week.

moorey

call me Mia
Driving home from the trails and notice a butcher as I drive past in Anglesea. It’s called ‘Stabbys Butcher’. What a great fucking name!
I had a mate ‘Stabby’ at Uni. Surname Stabovic. He died young. Can’t recall the details, but I think it was violent.
Not a LTIL….