Little Things You Hate

Freediver

I can go full Karen
early start for the kid with band before school. no shortage of spots in the drop off areas, not raining. so why the hell do parents think the no stopping zone right before the crossing is the place to sit for a few minutes? not like sight lines are there for safety reasons.
What I want to know is why parents drive there kids to school these days. I live around the corner from a primary school and there is a definite link between driving to school and BMI of both the kids and parents.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
What I want to know is why parents drive there kids to school these days. I live around the corner from a primary school and there is a definite link between driving to school and BMI of both the kids and parents.
Don't forget that they also HAVE to do that 80m school run, in a four tonne, V8 powered, $150,000 monstrosity that almost needs it's own postcode.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We had one parent on the FB group complain about being told to move on from the drop off zone. Couldn't think of any other way, like park legally a block away and walk. No idea how parents lose all sense of community and perspective at the school run.

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Our primary school is too far to walk or ride which sux. But the schools around us and even in our street didn’t tick the right boxes. So we drive.
I do avoid the ridiculous chaos and traffic jams and people driving up onto nature strips, to get around cars that are just double parked engines running because you just have to have aircon! in the street waiting for their little darlings. It’s crazy.
I park around the corner where it’s quiet under the shade of a nice tree and walk to the school. I’ve never understood why parents absolutely must drive right up to the gate.
And fuck me when it rains it’s even worse.
We try and ride occasionally even though it’s a bit of distance.
In saying that there are a good number of kids that ride and walk home. Bike racks are packed which is great to see!

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I certainly wouldn't judge a parent these days for picking their kids up from school in a car, times have changed, seeing the predator shit and bullying even when parents are around first hand, maybe their driving style is pathetic and needs a bit of schooling.
Yes there is an increase in nasty shit but when compared to the growth in population it means kids are at less risk today than they were back in the 70's and 80's when I was walking to school.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Yes there is an increase in nasty shit but when compared to the growth in population it means kids are at less risk today than they were back in the 70's and 80's when I was walking to school.
And if more people walked there’d be more people looking out for each other…

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do avoid the ridiculous chaos and traffic jams and people driving up onto nature strips, to get around cars that are just double parked engines running because you just have to have aircon! in the street waiting for their little darlings. It’s crazy.
In 2005 we bought our then 13 y o an Avanti Hammer for Xmas. He rode that bike back and forth to school till the end of 12th grade. Often the only bike in the rack. When we were talking to him about the ride once, we ask if the traffic worried him. He said "only near the school with all the big 4 x4's dropping other kids off and the drivers on their phones".

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I also had a few days off school.
Bet that was the best bit!

I once rode into a sheetmetal steel gate (coaster brake failure) as a kid. No days off school. Dad ran out and looking extremely concerned. Unusually it was about me and not the gate. That lasted about 5 seconds until he realised I was okay (only skinned my knuckles), then he starting checking the gate for dints. :p

Flow-Rider

Burner
Really? Parents used to beat that shit out of rockspiders that went near kids in my day, they have more protection than the innocent these days. There was no Internet to groom kids either.

Even with problem kids that bully, they aren't scared of adults these days because if an adult lays a finger on a minor they'll be in all type of trouble, even the teachers can't control the bulling in a lot of cases. I've seen quite a few posts on FB of our local school where kids have attacked other kids while leaving school with their parents in hand.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Yes really, stats are way down for nearly every crime on a per person basis.
Here's some stats from the QLD cops that only go back to 2001 but you can see the downwards trend.
When you take into account that a lot of crimes that were once brushed under the carpet are now reported the trend is more significant.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes really, stats are way down for nearly every crime on a per person basis.
Here's some stats from the QLD cops that only go back to 2001 but you can see the downwards trend.
When you take into account that a lot of crimes that were once brushed under the carpet are now reported the trend is more significant.
Actually click on sexual offences, but it's a known fact that most adolescents don't report sexual assaults at all or until they have a family themselves.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bet that was the best bit!

I once rode into a sheetmetal steel gate (coaster brake failure) as a kid. No days off school. Dad ran out and looking extremely concerned. Unusually it was about me and not the gate. That lasted about 5 seconds until he realised I was okay (only skinned my knuckles), then he starting checking the gate for dints. :p
I fucked up a bunch of the car, fortunately dad had a friend that was a panel beater. The car owner lost her shit at me pretty good as lay on the road all fucked up and bleeding everywhere. Her (adult) daughter tried to put bandaids on me and they wouldn't stick from all the blood. I reckon I made it about 200m from home before collision.

When I got back to school everyone knew and were disappointed at the lack of carnage I presented. To be fair I had stiff competition. Another kid had recently had his front wheel fall out while chucking a wheelie going down "hospital hill" and got really fucked up!

Freediver

I can go full Karen
Actually click on sexual offences, but it's a known fact that most adolescents don't report sexual assaults at all or until they have a family themselves.

View attachment 386534
Nonsense.
[/QUOTE]
Now click on the numbers button and look at the per capita, it was more than 1 per 12000, now it's less than 1 per 10000. Just like I said, going down. In the 90's grabbing a chick on the arse may have got you punched, these days it gets you arrested. Which means the drop per person is even more significant.

Last edited: