Little Things You Hate

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I can understand that manufacturers take on this. Imagine having to sort out a 15 year old bike with a broken chainstay.
Good thing for bike manufacturers is even with lifetime frame warranties, parts warranties are the responsibility of the parts manufacturer, and your frame warranty doesn’t guarantee that it will work with your out of date componentry.

In your scenario, Giant (e.g.) is responsible for replacing the broken chainstay, and if they don’t have a 15y old rear triangle lying around, then you get lucky and they swing you a new Trance frame. It is not, however, their responsibility to provide you with a new bike.

So you get the choice of upgrading your components, or flogging off your brand you frame to bankroll a replacement 15yo frame off Gumtree.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Good thing for bike manufacturers is even with lifetime frame warranties, parts warranties are the responsibility of the parts manufacturer, and your frame warranty doesn’t guarantee that it will work with your out of date componentry.

In your scenario, Giant (e.g.) is responsible for replacing the broken chainstay, and if they don’t have a 15y old rear triangle lying around, then you get lucky and they swing you a new Trance frame. It is not, however, their responsibility to provide you with a new bike.

So you get the choice of upgrading your components, or flogging off your brand you frame to bankroll a replacement 15yo frame off Gumtree.
Thats a good point. I went a bit over the top but my main point is supporting a bike warranty for an obsolete bike over a certain age isn't of much value for anyone and only really benefits the owner and not in sensible way.

Imagine getting a warranty on a 2005 bike frame. You would spend at least 5x the value of the bike on parts to get a bike up an running by the time you got things compatible. New wheels, new crankset for Boost, new fork duebtontapered steertube, new drive train if you aren't happy going 1x with 1x9 from the 3x9. New stem due to frame geo needing a shorter stem, possibly new bars, new brake line due to frame length, maybe new brakes if it isn't disc already (no v brake mounts on modern frames)etc. If the customer isn't just trying to get free parts to sell he really isn't in a position to get a bike going for less than a new bike.

I'm updating my hardtail frame and just spent ~240 on minor parts for compatibility, brake lines and banjo fittings, bottom bracket, seat clamp, headset, stem. Throw in another 120 for a cheap rear rim and spokes. My frame was 360 including shipping frame going onto my old bike (that still has current part standards) is costing an extra $350-400 in parts + what would be at least $300 in LBS labour (I'm doing it myself) to get sorted. That's atleast 650 without the frame cost to change frames on a 5 year old bike, probably closer to $900 using a LBS for parts.

ausdb

Being who he is
LTIH due to Covid my little bearing place is shut until to further notice :( and no one beats him for pricing, he always gets my business.
As I’m impatient I need to fix things ASAP I paid $12 per bearing :rolleyes: from the big boys in Melton. I know I could’ve get them cheaper online but tomorrow is the last sunny day for a while and I like riding my bike not looking at it, okay I’m just impatient. Luckily my daughters boyfriend will pick them up for me as he works nearby and it saves me a drive into the red zone.
Look at it on the bright side at least it must have been some reasonably common bearing size and you weren't locked into buying proprietary bike part spare parts pricing.

LPG

likes thicc birds
"Most" warranties are not transferable between owners anyhow, the chances of somebody having a frame for so long that it eventually fails is surely a gamble the big manufactures are willing to take.
I agree, but is basically the bike companies banking on the bikes not being used much/to their design life or changing hands, which basically means that your 6 years warranty might as well be lifetime warranty as so few stay with the initial owner while still being ridden anywhere near their potential. But the few that are warrantied after the 6 years will be a pain in the arse for the owner and the company due to availability of obsolete frame parts and incompatibility.

Mattyp

Cows go boing

Except that in that situation, from what I've seen, Giant will send you a complete new bike. There was a bloke on here just recently trying to flog off his new anthem 29r that he hated which was a replacement for his busted 26inch Anthem from 1974.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Except that in that situation, from what I've seen, Giant will send you a complete new bike. There was a bloke on here just recently trying to flog off his new anthem 29r that he hated which was a replacement for his busted 26inch Anthem from 1974.
Yep, had a customer a couple of years ago crack a 2008 Anthem (started to tear the bottom bracket shell off!). Due to complete lack of compatibility, Giant replaced the whole bike, and gave the option of either an Anthem or Trance to the equivalent spec.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
old frames are worth hunting if they have had a recall too.
I once purchased an Avanti Derelikt frame for $50 knowing that there was a recall, frame arrived and was down at the Avanti dealer with copy of recall notice the same afternoon.
New frame delivered 2 weeks later!

slowmick

38-39"
My last two frames were warranty replacements. Neither came with any bits required to deal with the new standards and make them into bike again. Both times cost close to new bike money to build up the frame. Will hang the current one on the wall once I find something to replace it with. Not going down the warranty route again.

Minlak

custom titis
My last two frames were warranty replacements. Neither came with any bits required to deal with the new standards and make them into bike again. Both times cost close to new bike money to build up the frame. Will hang the current one on the wall once I find something to replace it with. Not going down the warranty route again.
Warranty the frame - get replacement - buy new frame for old parts - sell replacement frame to offset cost?

slowmick

38-39"
Warranty the frame - get replacement - buy new frame for old parts - sell replacement frame to offset cost?
I don't really have the energy. I probably should have taken it back when the air can exploded. It is the bike I took to NZ. so I'll just hang it on the wall. It's job is done.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I don't really have the energy. I probably should have taken it back when the air can exploded. It is the bike I took to NZ. so I'll just hang it on the wall. It's job is done.
I'm a bit the same. Have had a few warranty frames over the years, have held onto my 2014 trance, it's been downgraded to Gravel duties... already been warrantied once if it breaks again now it will go in the bin. Sure I could go huck it to flat off some stairs a few times and go through warranty for it but who could be fucked.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm a bit the same. Have had a few warranty frames over the years, have held onto my 2014 trance, it's been downgraded to Gravel duties... already been warrantied once if it breaks again now it will go in the bin. Sure I could go huck it to flat off some stairs a few times and go through warranty for it but who could be fucked.
Think of the flippability!!! Add on the food tax and you'd be ready to retire!