Formula One world championship

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I do agree in part with you drifty and Vettel did come across but I guess he assumed (there's that word again!) that Webber recognised Vettel had the inside line to the corner and came across. It didn't end well! I reckon they should have just punched on, that would've settled it. ;)
So help me, if Ten do not show the day time races (Korea and Japan) live I will go ape shit, get a job at Ten and find out who the programming guy is. Do not be that guy!!

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx9zIQvrdZU

so, watching it again, are you sure about that?

the inside line needs to brake earlier to make the corner. webber had the outside line and its his right to hold it. Its the responsibility of the over taker to make it clean, not the defender (this is why Webber got pinged in Singapore.) Webber held the line, Vettel came across to the right to give himself room as he would have realized he was not going to be able to brake for the corner. if he'd managed to brake on the dirty line off the racing line he would have missed the apex and run wide or got a 1st gear exit from the corner, opening it up for a switchback pass. he would also have had to brake really early for it to work. in other words, Webber defended properly and Vettel misjudged a) how far past he was and b) that Webber wouldn't defend the position.

the Webber Hamilton incident at Singapore that year is more or less the same deal, but in a different position. Hamilton went to the outside, webber took the inside slow line, but Hamilton tried to take the apex so it was never going to come off. In this case however i think that visibility or lack thereof probably played a bit of a role as Hmilton may have assumed that he was well past. Here, Webber did was Vettel should have done, he still got hit but he made the correct choice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxynNbw9WO4 .

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
......and in other news.
Hamilton has signed with Mercedes and Schu is out. Fuck it.

akashra

Eats Squid
Disappointing in a way - I like Lewis as a character, and I think him and Jenson in the same team are a great pairing. Raises big questions in who will therefore fill the McLaren seat alongside him.

$100 million dollars. I'm really not sure what you can do with that much money that you can't do with $50m.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
i haven't seen that confirmed yet? its probably not a terrible move. next year Mclaren needs to start paying for engines, that puts a hole in the budget where they have been getting free engines and putting all the money into dev.

Merc has all the cash, but their problem is drivers. Rosberg could never really beat Webber consistently, Schu is past it. they need to put a top line driver in the seat to see if its the car or the drivers, he would also bring some handy hints regarding setup and developments at Mclaren. I think its a good move if it happens.

of the likely replacements, Perez, Maldonado (is off contract i think and bring a fucktonne of cash?) Kimi, Di-Resta ( why is he so highly rated??), Glock, Ricciardo, JEV and Hulkenberg would all happily fill the positions avail at either Ferrari or Mclaren. its not like its a sellers market.

at this stage though its interesting how Webber feels about his decision to stay where he is. his results haven't been great since he signed the contract.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
It's still not definite yet. If you read the 'exclusive' story that's kicked all this off you'll see that the only thing the Daily Mail are actually sure of is that Michael is being shown the door at Mercedes. They're still only speculating that Hamilton will take them up on their offer. This has since been reposted by such other bastions of quality journalism as news.com.au - None of the reputable sources (BBC, Sky Sports etc.) have even commented yet.

It's probably brought a lot of traffic to their shitty website though, which is the main thing.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
of the likely replacements, Perez, Maldonado (is off contract i think and bring a fucktonne of cash?) Kimi, Di-Resta ( why is he so highly rated??), Glock, Ricciardo, JEV and Hulkenberg would all happily fill the positions avail at either Ferrari or Mclaren. its not like its a sellers market.

at this stage though its interesting how Webber feels about his decision to stay where he is. his results haven't been great since he signed the contract.
Webber's just happy to have a drive I reckon. Maldonado is a complete non-starter. Williams hired him because they needed a sponsor and he could bring one in (the mighty Petroleum De Venezuela :rolleyes: ) but he's turned out to be a bit of a liability. Mclaren certainly don't have any sponsorship issues at the moment so I think they'd rather look elsewhere (if Hamilton jumps ship. It's still not confirmed yet)

DiResta isn't "so highly rated" but he's not a bad driver either. he's beating his team-mate and is regularly getting points finishes which is all you can really hope for in a mid-field car. he's certainly doing a lot better for himself than Massa who's only one rung above him on the ladder. Kimi maybe but I'm not sure what sort of contract Lotus have him tied up with. Perez, maybe. Nico Hulkenberg, can't see it myself. He smells of failure.Wait, Timo Glock?

Are you high?!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Some are suggesting DiResta shifting to McLaren but given his Mercedes ties and the thought that maybe McLaren won't choose to buy Mercedes engines in the V6 era may mean he isn't a candidate on that assumption?
Apparently the second Ferrari driver announcement is happening soon and my bet is Massa will stay. I don't usually back down when you guys hand me my arse for supporting Ferrari but they don't need a second driver who is just as capable as winning as Alonso. They'll take a guy who is cheap enough, gets inside the 107% and kneels to King Fernando. who, other than the likes of Peddro Diniz, fits that spot? Massa.................... I like the guy and feel so gutted for the guy after being world champion for about six seconds in 2008 before Timo Glock pulled over to let Hamilton through and grab the points. He had his totally mental accident in Hungary and has never come on too strong since that stuff. I can't see Ferrari dropping a young guy in the car to blood him in their ways and have him racey as long as Alonso is there. They'll never do it until Alonso is losing races and washing up, so to speak. In light of that, I did read a wild story from an Italian site (Googled translation was sketchy!) that said a token dude to race as number two at Ferrari would be Jarno Trulli. The same story also had Kovalainen in the mix!
Kimi to McLaren!

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Apparently the second Ferrari driver announcement is happening soon and my bet is Massa will stay. I don't usually back down when you guys hand me my arse for supporting Ferrari but they don't need a second driver who is just as capable as winning as Alonso. They'll take a guy who is cheap enough, gets inside the 107% and kneels to King Fernando. who, other than the likes of Peddro Diniz, fits that spot?
They do realise there are TWO championships up for grabs every year, don't they?

I'll never 'get' Italians. When the only advertising you do for your car company is through the medium of Formula One, you would think you'd want to showcase the superiority of your car by grabbing the constructors championship. :confused:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Twitter's going mental. Somebody's already announced that Perez is going to Mclaren.
If that is true I have no exact reason but I'm happy to see him go there.
Shummy crashes too much, id hate to see how big his crash account is :/
But i do love watching him race his a hard racer and is always going to give it all his got, makes for some good fights.. Is he retiring or looking for another seat?

I don't think webber has a reason to really leave redbull if we look at vettels results the car is well up there, webber has had some bad luck this year with pit stop in Singapore and a few grid penalties. Redbull have a well put together package, He obviously sees promise in the car and next year maybe they have some big updates to come. Remembering that redbull were very strong before the exhaust change.
Next year the engines will be changing too so I think we might be in for a interesting season, at least I hope so.

It would have been good to see Riccardo take a major seat, his being having some great results recently. I do wonder how much that car is holding him back..

Last edited:

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
Webber's just happy to have a drive I reckon. Maldonado is a complete non-starter. Williams hired him because they needed a sponsor and he could bring one in (the mighty Petroleum De Venezuela :rolleyes: ) but he's turned out to be a bit of a liability. Mclaren certainly don't have any sponsorship issues at the moment so I think they'd rather look elsewhere (if Hamilton jumps ship. It's still not confirmed yet)

DiResta isn't "so highly rated" but he's not a bad driver either. he's beating his team-mate and is regularly getting points finishes which is all you can really hope for in a mid-field car. he's certainly doing a lot better for himself than Massa who's only one rung above him on the ladder. Kimi maybe but I'm not sure what sort of contract Lotus have him tied up with. Perez, maybe. Nico Hulkenberg, can't see it myself. He smells of failure.Wait, Timo Glock?

Are you high?!
Maldonado has shown hes not just a SORF. you don't win a williams these days by accident. he has many rough edges but they can be sorted over time. a certain 7 time world champ was (is?) well known for similar antics.

i dont think that comparing yourself to Massa at this stage is good for your career. Diresta got pwned last year by his team mate whos only out of F1 cause hes not so discreet with who he glasses at the local.... you have to remember that Hulkenberg has been out of the car for a year as well. hes coming good later in the year.

with Perez now confirmed at Mac, Lotus is the only sensible option for Kimi. Red Bull may be looking for him next year as i think he fits their brand very well, and is a sponsored driver. the fact they ahve 2 young guys waiting in the wings puts a dent in that though.

Whats wrong with Glock? hes only in that shitbox because Toyota ran out of cash. hes a quality driver, certainly better than anyone in the 3 new teams. think back to his Toyota days, he was getting some decent resutls and qualifying positions. hes no worse than anyone in the midfield, in fact id say hes probably better than Rosberg.

latest crazy rumor is that Sauber is making a play for Shu. ill beleive that when i see it.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Peter Sauber has said that the drivers seat is there for Schumacher if he wants it and in their shoes that's not a bad offer to make. Remember they haven't had the greatest of luck in retaining sponsorship.

Last year was DiResta's opening season and yeah, it isn't a bad thing to be level pegging with Massa, after all Massa is behind the wheel of the same car as the current leader in the standings.

As for Glock, you don't go from a competitive team to making up the numbers and then bounce back to one of the Big 4. That sort of shit just does not happen especially when you're a relatively bland German who never set the world on fire when you had the chance.

Not that I am a conspiracy theorist or have any suspicion whenever a certain prancing horse is involved but going back to Dozer's theory on Ferrari's reluctance to put anyone in who'll step on Alonso's toes. Does think Perez' reluctance to yield to Ferrari influence a second time round and his subsequent overtaking of Alonso at Monza may have cost him the gig? It seemed like a sure fire thing earlier on in the year.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Sweet! The Japanese Grand Prix will be broadcast in HD this weekend on One. I usually have some respect for my neighbors and reduce the volume to under 80 decibels when a Grand Prix is on at 10pm but not this week! Look out ladies, it's 120 decibels recreated in my lounge room!
Button will take a five spot penalty for a gearbox change too.
I read a good story about Bernie saying the 2014 engine regs are shit and we should keep the V8 engines. I totally agree! The lure of F1 is in the sound, you take that away by dropping cylinders and reducing engine revs then you'll end up with a flop of a series like IRL. Some want turbo's, some want V10's and V12's back and some want an engine that is "green" and good for the environment. Pfft, you can't watch motor racing and play the green card and mean it. Leave it loud, leave it fast and keep the current format.

akashra

Eats Squid
I think engine restrictions should be abolished altogether. Give them 80L of fuel, and that's it. That's your engine restriction right there.