Formula One world championship

akashra

Eats Squid
The Italians never forget............... I cracked up when they booed Hamilton. ;)
So, the Vettel vs Alonso thing; What do you reckon?
It's certainly about time we're seeing this enforced.

For years I've said that the rules need to be changed to reflect that you simply can't run someone out of room - that "I had the racing line" is simply not a good enough excuse. It's unfortunate that Maldonado got done in the incident with Hamilton in Valencia, as this was a perfect example - and while I won't deny being a fan of Hamilton (though I've really got nothing against Maldonado either), the incident was totally Hamilton's fault that caused Maldonado to go off-track in the first place. It was the subsequent issue of Maldonado having to come back on track which he got penalised for - yet Hamilton got away without penalty from running Maldonado off the road.

All of this needs to stop happening - it's destroying racing - the same as the whole moving around and blocking lines off the start of races. A start should be super-simple - you fscking accelerate, and if you need to move to avoid going up the back of the other guy, you do that. But those moving to block or close a gap about to be used by another driver - those incidents should come with instant black/white flags attached. In this age where aerodynamic disturbance destroys so much racing, we should be encouraging everything possible to foster side-by-side racing. "I had the racing line" does not fit with creating exciting motorsport.

In the case of Alonso vs Vettel - yes - despite the fact that I hate Alonso with a passion, Vettel deserved a per-bend flag.

Sadly these days we've also stopped distinguishing from the black flag, the per-bend flag, and the meatball. All we see these days in F1 is "drive-through penalty" on a ticker.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I agree on the Hamilton and Maldonado incident in Valencia. Those two were doing the tango and they both paid for it.
I doubt anyone will argue that this season has been the best since.....well, a long time anyway! The genuine racing has been great and many more teams are fairing really well. I personlaly don't want to see it changed and I sure as shit don't want to see rev limits dropped and V6 engines mandatory but it is a new challenge for everyone involved and hopefully it keeps us interested. I'm not happy with Renault's choice of alternators but I am happy with McLaren's choice of fuel system as it's fucked up a few times now and benched one of their drivers. ;)
Akashra; you don't like Fernando eh? Well, thats another person from this thread that I won't take into the Ferrari garage with me. ;)

akashra

Eats Squid
I don't see V6 engines being a problem. People said the same when they went from 4.2Ls to 3.5Ls, and 3.5Ls to 3.0Ls, and 3.0Ls to 2.4Ls.
They'll get over it, and the sport will evolve.

If it were up to me, the one change I would be making is homologating the front and rear wings. Doing so mean so much less variation in chassis design, and save so much in cost. The TWG could then design the wings to create as much or as little turbulance as they wanted, and bring back awesome nose-to-tail racing. A single company could then be responsible for them, being manufactured in bulk, at a set cost, without having to spend fortunes.

Edit: I don't, however, accept that the best answer to the whole 'green' issue is to force manufacturers to use smaller engines. IMO, they should say "you may have 60L of fuel for a race... now go and use whateverthehell engine you want".
The fuel limit figure should be low, such that it forces an emphasis on efficiency; doing so would also slow the cars substantially resulting in massive safety implications (on the positive side).

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
I don't see V6 engines being a problem. People said the same when they went from 4.2Ls to 3.5Ls, and 3.5Ls to 3.0Ls, and 3.0Ls to 2.4Ls.
They'll get over it, and the sport will evolve.

If it were up to me, the one change I would be making is homologating the front and rear wings. Doing so mean so much less variation in chassis design, and save so much in cost. The TWG could then design the wings to create as much or as little turbulance as they wanted, and bring back awesome nose-to-tail racing. A single company could then be responsible for them, being manufactured in bulk, at a set cost, without having to spend fortunes.
I agree wholeheartedly Tim. With a sensible system for reducing turbulence such as this, you would get quality close racing and overtaking without such a contrived system as DRS. And it would still allow room in other aero parts of the car for innovation and technical advancement that is such an important part of the whole show.

akashra

Eats Squid
I don't mind DRS, but the biggest thing wrong with it is its use in Qualifying. Use of DRS should be restricted to the same places it can be used in the race.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
How about make them qualify with DRS open for a full lap, corners and braking areas included. ;)

akashra

Eats Squid
Hm, maybe first ask Raikkonen, Barrichello or Heidfeld how an F1 behaves trying to corner with no rear wing ;)

nskz

Likes Dirt
A bit OT but I guess it ties in with the semi cost reduction measure talked about above. I think the cost thing in F1 is a really hard thing to tackle, they really need to limit the amount teams can spend...how you'd do that I have no idea. As it stands teams have a budget $x and they spend all of it, sure the FIA cracks down on stuff like testing, tries to save costs here and there etc etc but then the top teams just go mental and spend small fortunes on CFD and other kinds of shenanigans. No real way as I see it but to limit the budget.

akashra

Eats Squid
A bit OT but I guess it ties in with the semi cost reduction measure talked about above. I think the cost thing in F1 is a really hard thing to tackle, they really need to limit the amount teams can spend...how you'd do that I have no idea. As it stands teams have a budget $x and they spend all of it, sure the FIA cracks down on stuff like testing, tries to save costs here and there etc etc but then the top teams just go mental and spend small fortunes on CFD and other kinds of shenanigans. No real way as I see it but to limit the budget.
I don't see the budget thing as being hard to solve. My solution is simple: don't limit how much they spend. Let them spend as much as they want. That statement comes with a caveat.

The base car weight will be 550kg. For every EUR1m a team spends over that, the minimum weight will increase by 1kg.

Now everyone knows that even a 610kg Marussia isn't competitive, but let's see a 950kg Ferrari remain competitive. The policy would effectively sort out the budget problem - teams would find a balance between spending and performance. Imagine Ferrari having to halve their budget, and still have a car >100kg heavier than the minnows.

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I don't see the budget thing as being hard to solve. My solution is simple: don't limit how much they spend. Let them spend as much as they want. That statement comes with a caveat.

The base car weight will be 550kg. For every EUR1m a team spends over that, the minimum weight will increase by 1kg.

Now everyone knows that even a 610kg Marussia isn't competitive, but let's see a 950kg Ferrari remain competitive. The policy would effectively sort out the budget problem - teams would find a balance between spending and performance. Imagine Ferrari having to halve their budget, and still have a car >100kg heavier than the minnows.
I'm not sure that would be as much of an issue as you might think - Fernando Alonso's freaky giant bobble-head must add at least 100kg to his total mass and he still manages to be competitive.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The anti Ferrari folk always claim the rules are bent to suit them...............funny thing is, us Ferrari fans think the decision makers sway their preference towards English teams like McLaren. In saying that, I'm amazed the world isn't crying out about ex Ferrari team principal Jean Todt replacing the mad rooter Max Mosley and claiming the rules are even more bent for Ferrari's benefit.

Fight on! ;)

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
No British F1 team has ever tried to hold the sport to ransom and have changes made in their favour by threatening to leave the sport.

repeatedly.

just sayin' ;)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
That if Ferrari were a person they'd probably be one of those screaming spoilt reality TV show brats who compete in kiddy beauty pageants?

Hahahaaa, I put it out there knowing I'd get a cracker response from you. ;)

Not much has been said about the Marussia incident with De Villota. Is it commonly accepted that she blew a sand shoe and just fucked up?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Whether she fucked up, or the throttle did jam or the ECU flipped out or whetever, why the fuck was there a truck there for her to run into?!