Formula One world championship

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Monaco used to be my favourite race but ever since the cars became so big they couldn't pass it is pretty much a procession. The debacle with Daniel winning with a car that had 6kW was ridiculous. Anyway the top few cars are pretty close so I watched practice and that was pretty decent. So I watched qualifying. Wow that was superb. I know the race is likely to be boring unless someone has a massive brain fade or their car falls apart but that was so good.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Monaco used to be my favourite race but ever since the cars became so big they couldn't pass it is pretty much a procession. The debacle with Daniel winning with a car that had 6kW was ridiculous. Anyway the top few cars are pretty close so I watched practice and that was pretty decent. So I watched qualifying. Wow that was superb. I know the race is likely to be boring unless someone has a massive brain fade or their car falls apart but that was so good.
Say no more Fam! Perez, Stroll and Sainz got you ;)

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I just assumed Monaco would deliver a boring race based on the qualifying.... I was incorrect

But so many what ifs..... what if Russell hadn't had is brain fade, what if Sainz hadn't tagged Ocon, omg what if Aston Martin hadn't utterly fubared Alonso with the wrong tyre call, what if Stroll hadn't been born etc.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I just assumed Monaco would deliver a boring race based on the qualifying.... I was incorrect

But so many what ifs..... what if Russell hadn't had is brain fade, what if Sainz hadn't tagged Ocon, omg what if Aston Martin hadn't utterly fubared Alonso with the wrong tyre call, what if Stroll hadn't been born etc.
Re the tyre call, the pit crew, but much more likely the Team knobs who stare at screens, really did a Ferrari on him. :(

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Funny but slightly poor timing given Stroll outqualified Alonso on the weekend (literally 20 seconds after I asked aloud if he ever would. Cursed)
Fred's car had a damaged undertray. Suggestions that it was costing 0.5-0.8s per lap in qualifying trim.
Some nice passes in the race though from multiple cars/drivers.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Quali was great to watch, race not so much. Safety car timing screwed Oscar for a well deserved 3rd sadly. Lando did well on cool hards to keep 44 behind but Lewis fans rabbiting on how well he drove. Sorry without the safety car he would be at best 4th.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cant say im that excited by DR being back. several seasons of team hopping and underperforming, would have preferred to see what lawson can do. perez needs to find form again though. that car should always be in the front 2 rows

crash3

Likes Dirt
cant say im that excited by DR being back. several seasons of team hopping and underperforming, would have preferred to see what lawson can do. perez needs to find form again though. that car should always be in the front 2 rows
Yeah as much as I think he's great, it really feels like this will be a last attempt at reviving a failing career.

My conspiracy theory is that this move was done by Helmut and Christian to put pressure on Perez

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My conspiracy theory is that this move was done by Helmut and Christian to put pressure on Perez
Hardly a conspiracy, it's pretty obvious. I think with the recent run from perez, this adds to the pressure.

I don't agree with the approach though. RB want someone at the number 2 grid position and then blocking number 3 to give max a bit more certainty (not that he needs it). Problem is someone performing at that level is going to have to be good and in that case they will want to joust with max for the top dog title.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Checo was the perfect foil for Max last year and it showed just how much they value the #1 and constructors over getting #1 and #2 when there were no repercussions about Max passing Checo and taking away a certain 2nd place finish in the championship. I think they realise that the other teams are getting closer and want Checo to do his job giving Max a buffer and it is coming unstuck on Saturdays. Checo is doing really well cutting through the field but he should be starting in the top 4 or 5 if not second. Helmut was saying that in simulator testing Checo was still faster than Daniel but at the tyre test Daniel surprised them. On the other side of the coin the AT is really crap but it is worth throwing another driver in that is a known quantity and seeing just how shit the car is and possibly / probably gauge how Yuki fares.