Electric Vehicles etc

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just catching some rally cross in red bull tv and they had an electric class. The racing is fine but it really suffers from the missing soundtrack.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
@Tubbsy i thought the same thing about electric cars being useless without 500km range but the a250 only had a 40-70km range on full electric and suited the yuppie city life pretty well. I also now love the silence the eebs has in comparison to ICE vehicles, this was really highlighted when jumping between the the 2 driving a hybrid.
Oh look totally agree - our yuppie city hatch will definitely be replaced by an electric one sooner rather than later. It only does a long drive once a year or so. Like I mentioned earlier, I like the look of the Honda E, which has a particularly piss poor range but would realistically be fine.

The 500km range thing is an issue for our other car which is a large station wagon I wouldn't replace with e until I can get at least 500km from one charge, in cold temps with heaters headlights wipers stereo etc all going. Pretty sure long-range Teslas can already do this, but I'm after a wagon.

No doubt Volvo/Polestar will have something like this before long.

(I shouldn't really have brought up the noise thing, that's really a separate car-enthusiasty angle which isn't hugely important on these practical family cars)

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh look totally agree - our yuppie city hatch will definitely be replaced by an electric one sooner rather than later. It only does a long drive once a year or so. Like I mentioned earlier, I like the look of the Honda E, which has a particularly piss poor range but would realistically be fine.

The 500km range thing is an issue for our other car which is a large station wagon I wouldn't replace with e until I can get at least 500km from one charge, in cold temps with heaters headlights wipers stereo etc all going. Pretty sure long-range Teslas can already do this, but I'm after a wagon.

(I shouldn't really have brought up the noise thing, that's really a separate car-enthusiasty angle which isn't hugely important on these practical family cars)
This one should go close assuming we ever get any BYD cars here https://motorillustrated.com/the-byd-han-ev-station-wagon-is-the-suv-alternative/93384/

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.

The Honda is a fantastic little run around, had a go in one of those as well.

I don’t mind the teslas but the owners are like yeti riders.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
They have a Tesla store in Canberra now that I popped into at lunch today. Salesperson came up and did her thing, and quickly realised I knew a lot more about it then she did. So she starts asking me questions! Filled her in on the different CATL batteries in the Chinese made ones, told her about the armour plating on the pack, and a few other things. Bizarrely she said she didn’t know where to get information so I guess Tesla were not providing it?!

Anyway, I’m booked for an extra long drive in a Performance tomorrow and will probably have some more questions to answer!

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Took a Model 3 for a spin. Annoyingly it’s better than I had expected… A very polished product and remarkably quick.
Nice! My brother in Canberra has one. Need to get over there sometime for a spin in it.

Last edited:

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I was going to make a poor taste joke about the CEO but heil leave that alone.
Sigh, he really is a fuckstick. Why didn't Mike Cannon Brooks buy Holden and make the Atlassian of Electric vehicles?

A mate posted this:

My response was: No different to every other type of mining operating in these third world countries exploiting humans in dangerous conditions. This is a problem of globalisation, overconsumption and cheap disposable goods. A large percentage of the growth (until quite recently when car companies decided petrol is bad) in cobalt mining is from mobile phones where batteries cannot be replaced and people "upgrade" them every year or so, and all the other devices that have rechargeables that never get recycled or replaced. 13 year olds aren't dying in mines because of the green energy revolution, they have been dying prior to that because of the disgusting culture of cheap labour fuelling the first world for peanuts.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Sigh, he really is a fuckstick. Why didn't Mike Cannon Brooks buy Holden and make the Atlassian of Electric vehicles?

A mate posted this:

My response was: No different to every other type of mining operating in these third world countries exploiting humans in dangerous conditions. This is a problem of globalisation, overconsumption and cheap disposable goods. A large percentage of the growth (until quite recently when car companies decided petrol is bad) in cobalt mining is from mobile phones where batteries cannot be replaced and people "upgrade" them every year or so, and all the other devices that have rechargeables that never get recycled or replaced. 13 year olds aren't dying in mines because of the green energy revolution, they have been dying prior to that because of the disgusting culture of cheap labour fuelling the first world for peanuts.
Cobalt is also used in oil refining for almost any fossil fuel in a process is called desulphurisation and the cobalt is used to extract sulphur from crude oil, so the fossil fuel industry is just as compliant in cobalt mining.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

A mate posted this:

And the CATL batteries in Chinese built Teslas are Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries that don’t use cobalt. They’re cheaper too and will feature in all their lower end cars, saving the cobalt containing cells for higher performance applications only such as the Mode S and Semi.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Polestar looks pretty good though, seems to get some solid reviews. Anyone driven one?
walked past the demo centre at fox studios taking the kid to footie training and thought i'll take look on the way back but they were closed. Then seeing they have quite a few units for pretty much immediate delivery i was kicking myself. the base model looks nice but is pretty slow, and once you spec it up its not really comparable on price to the equivalent tesla. still more options are always good