Electric Vehicles etc

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Agree to disagree? :p
Ok - "relatively" easy ;) But even the OEMs run them exposed underneath in places. Make sure the battery packs have the proper fuses and shorted cables in accidents are largely a non issue.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
High voltage cables wouldn't worry about, thats easy to make safe. Its the crumple zone not working properly because the weight in the engine bay is different and/or mounted differently, or the battery pack in the boot coming into the cabin because the structure wasnt designed for that mass in that spot, or the suspension geometry introducing handling "quirks" because the centre of gravity and polar moment of inertia is all wrong.
At the moment - I wouldn't expect the vehicles being retro fitted to even have crumple zones, classics like that Opel that popped up a little while ago and the mini mentioned before. Then when were down the road a bit, I wouldn't think there would be nearly as many true motor heads that would consider even purchasing a fossil burner to convert. I'd expect it will take a good couple of decades before someone would convert something like a VF commodore, and they only if they could be bothered.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
At the moment - I wouldn't expect the vehicles being retro fitted to even have crumple zones, classics like that Opel that popped up a little while ago and the mini mentioned before. Then when were down the road a bit, I wouldn't think there would be nearly as many true motor heads that would consider even purchasing a fossil burner to convert. I'd expect it will take a good couple of decades before someone would convert something like a VF commodore, and they only if they could be bothered.
I've got two hsv leather steering wheels for when you do!

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
High voltage cables wouldn't worry about, thats easy to make safe. Its the crumple zone not working properly because the weight in the engine bay is different and/or mounted differently, or the battery pack in the boot coming into the cabin because the structure wasnt designed for that mass in that spot, or the suspension geometry introducing handling "quirks" because the centre of gravity and polar moment of inertia is all wrong.
In an original Mini, the passengers ARE the crumple zone!

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I have done some ,gives me the shits esp with a bike rack .
Haven't done the leaf with bike racks but Tesla makes a similar number or bing bang bong sounds when I am trying to park at work as the leaf, well maybe not quite as many but a quite a few...it's a tight car park!

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Scotty, appreciate your thoughts.

No solar is a directive from Mrs Tubbsy, whose work relates to emissions/environmental stuff. Her opinion is that individual solar installations are not the most environmentally friendly option in Canberra's current situation where we have a lot of renewables through the grid, and currently limited capacity for individuals to feed much of their unused capacity back into the grid.

You can bash heads with her at the housewarming haha, she's not for turning.

Also, it's a flat roof house in a kind of modernist style, so they'd need to be installed at a relatively shallow angle so as to be unseen from the garden.

In terms of the EV, not rushing out to save the environment by buying a brand new car, just trying to be reasonably future-proof with decisions now while the house is being gutted. Car decisions will be a fair way down the track.

Agree on your use case scenarios.

Just to clarify here, you can charge an EV from a regular wall socket, or a 32amp socket (is that a thing?), or a charger box that you install? The impression I got was EV people all get the charging boxes installed - so a charger is not important?

OK, looks like some reading to do.
Would say with an EV solar is even more a no brainer than it is anyway. I get what the missus is saying about efficiency and not sure about Canberra but in sunny Perth from a purely economic standpoint - the return on investment is like I say a no brainer. A flattish roof (love that style of architecture by the way) does reduce efficiency but not so much as to make it unviable. Having said that roof oriententation and overshadowing are also determining factors.

We have SR+ and friends have near identical LR. The LR is noticably quicker but for me the SR+ is fast enough and I have had moderately quick cars before including moderately warmed Skyline GTST. The LFP battery in the SR is a better long terms bet and now it's bigger even closer to the long range in terms of range. I'd go the same again if I had to buy today.

You can make a call on charging infrastructure at any point, we have a 15A DGPO which to be honest is probably fine even for the two EV's we have. The wall charger ( or equivalent) is handy as it is quicker to plug in than getting a charging cable out of the boot, but a lot of people just leave the charging cable that came with the car in the garage, so YMMV. I throttle the charge to the car to make better use of the solar, something fun about getting "free" km's after so many years of paying for fuel and even better when petrol is almost $2/l and the car still goes like a scalded cat!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Would say with an EV solar is even more a no brainer than it is anyway. I get what the missus is saying about efficiency and not sure about Canberra but in sunny Perth from a purely economic standpoint - the return on investment is like I say a no brainer. A flattish roof (love that style of architecture by the way) does reduce efficiency but not so much as to make it unviable. Having said that roof oriententation and overshadowing are also determining factors.

We have SR+ and friends have near identical LR. The LR is noticably quicker but for me the SR+ is fast enough and I have had moderately quick cars before including moderately warmed Skyline GTST. The LFP battery in the SR is a better long terms bet and now it's bigger even closer to the long range in terms of range. I'd go the same again if I had to buy today.

You can make a call on charging infrastructure at any point, we have a 15A DGPO which to be honest is probably fine even for the two EV's we have. The wall charger ( or equivalent) is handy as it is quicker to plug in than getting a charging cable out of the boot, but a lot of people just leave the charging cable that came with the car in the garage, so YMMV. I throttle the charge to the car to make better use of the solar, something fun about getting "free" km's after so many years of paying for fuel and even better when petrol is almost $2/l and the car still goes like a scalded cat!
Thanks Dallas.

Like I mentioned before, it's not really about the installation cost or ROI side of things. For whatever reason (and it's a considered, professional one) she's against it here. Fine by me, and I guess if her mind was to change there could be panels to sit on the garage to feed an EV.

As a lifelong car enthusiast, EVs don't really interest me in the same way - I see them more like an appliance, or a new phone - I love the 'youngtimer' era of the '80s and '90s when engineers were coming up with fun stuff after hours and there was a bit of character to a car. Caveat: I've never driven an electric car, but not sure I'm interested in massive silent acceleration.

Apparently you can get electric cars 'on subscription' for short periods from AGL and maybe others, so might give it a go like that and see what suits.

Ultimately all I'm interested in at this point is to make sure the concealed electrical bits will service an EV in a way that I won't regret later on. I think @Scotty T is spot on with the use case scenario that you're unlikely to need to charge rapidly when returning home from a long drive.

But it's all still pretty new, so I'd like to commit to good infrastructure now and forget about it until the time comes to get one of these things.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
As a lifelong car enthusiast, EVs don't really interest me in the same way - I see them more like an appliance, or a new phone - I love the 'youngtimer' era of the '80s and '90s when engineers were coming up with fun stuff after hours and there was a bit of character to a car. Caveat: I've never driven an electric car, but not sure I'm interested in massive silent acceleration.
It's not a hard conversion (pun intended) to make as a car enthusiast, all that noise and waste and heat for less performance? I would say a Taycan has chracter, even though I like Teslas more, that's a pretty exciting electric car and hardly an appliance. Same for the Rimac. I guess you're just not as logical as me, a bit more emotional and longing for feelings of nostalgia ;)

@Haakon conversions can still handle well. Batteries are getting smaller. Motors weigh a third of their ICE counterparts for 3 times the power. You can spread the batteries out where you need them. My car will not have any handling problems, it will weigh roughly the same and I'm looking at all the places I can put batteries, the old fuel tank is under the back seat so I can put two packs under the seat either side of the trans tunnel.

As for the boot thing, the pack will weigh about as much as a full esky and be attached to the chassis. It's not coming through into the cabin. This chatter is like nobody has done this before and everyone who has creates safety issues, it's just not the case.

The majority of people never get near the limits of handling in their car, they want a car to drive A to B, all the issues you raise are non issues for most, and can be overcome if you really want to build a fast car.

Conversions are a thing, and they aren't all that bad.

Haakon

Sure, it can be made to be acceptable. A lot are not though, and there will always be some degree of change in the balance of the car no matter how careful you are.

Now, there is a strong argument that many (most?) ICE cars are pretty compromised from the start wrt balance and you may even improve it. But it all depends how well the original balance and weight distribution was taken into account when the original suspension/handling was set up and the engineering for crash structures done (really old stuff sans crumple zones notwithstanding - noting that proper cars have had well engineered crumple zones since the 60s...).

Maybe change is good, maybe not - model dependant, and conversion layout dependent. Just something to be aware of is all.

Haakon

Handling limits apply to anything - they are usually found in emergency situations, as all the SUV owners find out as they slide along upside down...

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Sure, it can be made to be acceptable. A lot are not though, and there will always be some degree of change in the balance of the car no matter how careful you are.

Now, there is a strong argument that many (most?) ICE cars are pretty compromised from the start wrt balance and you may even improve it. But it all depends how well the original balance and weight distribution was taken into account when the original suspension/handling was set up and the engineering for crash structures done (really old stuff sans crumple zones notwithstanding - noting that proper cars have had well engineered crumple zones since the 60s...).

Maybe change is good, maybe not - model dependant, and conversion layout dependent. Just something to be aware of is all.
I'll counter with if someone is going to that much effort to convert an old car, there's much more thought and effort put into it than 'just plonk a battery in it and go'.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It's not a hard conversion (pun intended) to make as a car enthusiast, all that noise and waste and heat for less performance? I would say a Taycan has chracter, even though I like Teslas more, that's a pretty exciting electric car and hardly an appliance. Same for the Rimac. I guess you're just not as logical as me, a bit more emotional and longing for feelings of nostalgia ;)
Yeah I think so. I like getting to know and mastering a car, getting around its foibles; I like manuals and yes I like the noise. Oh well.

I have no doubt I would be blown away by the high end electric stuff. I was having a windscreen repaired recently and the Porsche dealer is across the road. Taycan estate was impressive in person; smaller than I expected. I liked it. Would eat into my beer budget a bit.

When we replace our hatchback it will be with something electric I think. I like the Honda.e quite a bit, but the range isn't sufficient to get to the coast or Sydney which is mildly annoying, although we rarely use it for that so it would easily fit 95% of the use cases of that car.

Our station wagon does 800-1100km to a tank, and we do frequent day trips to the snow in winter. When I see an electric station wagon that can do a 500km round trip in cold temps on one charge I'll be keen. At the moment everything seems to be packaged in an SUV format (assume that's to accommodate the batteries), and I don't really like SUVs.

Guessing the new car market will be a very different proposition in five years time.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Sold the a250e over the weekend.

Over the 14 months we had it covered 12k. 10k of which was on battery. I think it was enough of an experiment to jump over to full electric. @Tubbsy i thought the same thing about electric cars being useless without 500km range but the a250 only had a 40-70km range on full electric and suited the yuppie city life pretty well. I also now love the silence the eebs has in comparison to ICE vehicles, this was really highlighted when jumping between the the 2 driving a hybrid.
Much to @Haakon ‘s delight had a look at the Mercedes EQA and the Lexus 300e. Both seem nice enough. Cabin in the Merc is incredibly hard to beat though, it really is quite stunning. 400ish range. Would’ve loved to get a full electric a-class but it doesn’t exist.