COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Mine 3 are under 10 and I feel this too. Especially without vaccines for them yet. Would i send them back to school tomorrow if there was a government declaration that they were open again? ... ... Not sure I would.
We have the option of sending our 13yo man-child to high school, but Mrs George doesn't want to because we know the not so brain cell endowed aren't doing what they need to for everyone to be safe. We know at least one parent who is quite vocally anti-mask

danncam

Likes Dirt
If Steve novella on the last sgu podcast episode is correct, delta needs >95% vax coverage to keep society and health system as protected as 80% coverage of previous variants. If that's the way it works out we just have to live with it as an endemic virus.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Legit question for you guys talking about the need for lockdowns/restrictions when 80% of the population get vaccinated.

If we aren't opening things up again when we get high vaccination rates, what are we doing and when?
I did type a long winded serious answer ... But then I realised how wrong I was! What needs to be done is to bring in a shitload of foreign workers who will accept shit pay and conditions to harvest the farms and do other jobs Australians don't want to do...for shit wages and conditions.

Might type the long answer again later. Might go and buy some groceries.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah those state governments have really undone the federation...(I hope I got that quote right). Lucky for you guys who have governments! I'm in NSW with the same sort of leadership as ScoMo delivers - corrupt and confused.
I think you may have stumbled on their next election slogan. Vote 1 LNP Corrupt and confused! Better than jobs n growth.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mine 3 are under 10 and I feel this too. Especially without vaccines for them yet. Would i send them back to school tomorrow if there was a government declaration that they were open again? ... ... Not sure I would.
There is a some good info about covid and kids if you and [mention]caad9 [/mention]& others want to take the time to weigh it all up.. I suggest following the pediatric experts who are advising the gov health depts.. Prof Fiona Russell provides excellent info.. Works at the royal childrens hospital..

And here is the current children vaccination advice from the UK’s version of Atagi..

“As evidence shows that COVID-19 rarely causes severe disease in children without underlying health conditions, at this time the JCVI’s view is that the minimal health benefits of offering universal COVID-19 vaccination to children do not outweigh the potential risks.”

It is noted that JCVI is continuously reviewing this advice as real world data comes in..

While are worried for our kids, there is more measures to their overall health than catching covid and the experts are weighing it up all the time..

stoff

Likes Dirt
N o, totally agree. But even referring to modelling suggests there is a magic number, we just don't know what it is. (We'll get it wrong anyway, just not sure which way).

Unfortunately no magic number is going to equal zero deaths from covid, and so it feels like everyone is arguing about the best answer to a real-world pandemic trolley problem. We've pulled the lever a few times to put everyone in lockdowns, we think it's the best choice in this fucked up situation. But as we get more and more people vaccinated I'm not so sure that pulling the lockdown lever is the right course of action. We can't pretend there are not real negative consequences to having people locked down for so long that might not outweigh the impact of more people contracting covid.

Two under six, and the eldest is most likely immuno compromised. She spent a week on life support in ICU two years ago with severe sepsis, kidney failure, etc as a result of bacterial meningitis - no parent should ever have to see that. She has made as full a recovery as you can from that, but it is scary to think that the little ones will be the guinea pigs for the new normal in a few months time.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
There is a some good info about covid and kids if you and [mention]caad9 [/mention]& others want to take the time to weigh it all up.. I suggest following the pediatric experts who are advising the gov health depts.. Prof Fiona Russell provides excellent info.. Works at the royal childrens hospital..

And here is the current children vaccination advice from the UK’s version of Atagi..

“As evidence shows that COVID-19 rarely causes severe disease in children without underlying health conditions, at this time the JCVI’s view is that the minimal health benefits of offering universal COVID-19 vaccination to children do not outweigh the potential risks.”

It is noted that JCVI is continuously reviewing this advice as real world data comes in..

While are worried for our kids, there is more measures to their overall health than catching covid and the experts are weighing it up all the time..
Unfortunately some of us have kids with underlying health conditions, and to us the level of acceptable risk is probably not in line with a statistic.

If we lived in a country that had zero chance of getting to donuts and successfully isolating from hot countries, I'd have to accept a higher risk. But we live in a country that can hit donuts and can quarrantine (at least short-medium term) so I'm not prepared to accept this half assed "I give up" mentality.

The government fucked the quarrantine
The government fucked the vaccine rollout
The people fucked/are fucking the lockdown

Quite selfishly, I'm more than happy for these pricks to continue to suffer if it means my at risk kid has a better chance of getting through this unscathed. If we do it right (the lockdown, the vaccines, the quarrantines), we'll get out of the lockdown and shouldn't have to deal with another one. If people can't be arsed following the rules then so be it, we stay locked down, and hopefully stay locked down long enough for me to get some needles in the arms of my kids.

Saying "let's open up" before everyone that wants the vaccine has had a chance to get it is negligent as fark.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
If Australia did reach 70%-80% in the next 2-3 months, there's no way a clean(er) state is going to throw its borders open to NSW who have given up.
That only rules out WA, Tas and maybe the NT...the rest are just too economically interconnected.

Victoria will likely roll with NSW. SEQ will be dragged into it which means the rest of QLD will go to. And SA won't have much choice.

Someone has done some math in NSW and they reckon that 80% vaccinated over 16 and an easing of lockdown WILL mean a Delta blowout that the hospital situation in Greater Sydney CAN manage (colour me unconvinced of that)... that's cold and potentially politically risky but they appear to have hung their shingle on that...

bear the bear

Is a real bear
That only rules out WA, Tas and maybe the NT...the rest are just too economically interconnected.

Victoria will likely roll with NSW. SEQ will be dragged into it which means the rest of QLD will go to. And SA won't have much choice.

Someone has done some math in NSW and they reckon that 80% vaccinated over 16 and an easing of lockdown WILL mean a Delta blowout that the hospital situation in Greater Sydney CAN manage (colour me unconvinced of that)... that's cold and potentially politically risky but they appear to have hung their shingle on that...
I will put good money on fucked up maths...

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update on my folks that had the bright idea of heading into NSW from Vic after they were warned the border was closing and will not be able to get back.
Have now been kicked out of two resorts and currently bunkered down in a caravan park on the NSW south coast lol. Apparently it's a wonderful place to be locked down and they couldn't be happier! Even better than being locked down in their coastal home on the Mornington peninsular lol.
I really do wonder now when we'll see them again.

Meanwhile on the kids thing, If it really kicks off down here we'll have to stay isolated anyway. Until kids can be vaccinated.
While my kids don't have any underlying health issues at the moment (That we know of) my older boy did struggle with an un-diagnosed respiratory/lung issue for many years until he out grew it a couple of years back luckily. This included a bout in hospital due to pneumonia.
At the time doctors couldn't work out what the issue was, so how have we got any chance they'll ever know how covid might affect him.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Surely if vaccinations are going to make things safer to open up then we will start seeing a notable improvement in infection rates and hospitalisation numbers as the % of vaccinated people increase. Hopefully this is paid attention to. If our wonderful leaders grow a fucking brain they will keep lockdowns a bit longer to drop case numbers before opening the covid flood gates so there isn't a massive possibly uncontrollable jump.