COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Its interesting though right, because the political rhetoric here has always been that "the only way we'll get back to normal, is having everyone vaccinated" or some variant of.
I think that remains true, it's just that the threshold for opening up is higher than the ~60% vaccination rate that the UK has achieved.

To me it ties in a bit with the logical disconnect in the discussion around travel exemptions etc for people who are vaccinated - evidence is that vaccinated people can still catch and transmit COVID (albeit at reduced rates), so exempting them from border closures or other restrictions doesn't actually make sense while there are still huge swathes of unvaccinated population.

The key benefit of vaccination is in reducing hospitalisation/mortality rates, so it's really not until "everyone" (or near enough to) is vaccinated that we can afford to have higher confidence in living without movement/density/mask-wearing restrictions.
I wonder how much of our lag has been driven not by incompetence, but intentions to see what happens elsewhere.
Initially the Aus go-slow approach was commended because we had low-zero COVID and the vaccines were relatively untested, so we could afford to wait a few months and watch what happened elsewhere RE: adverse reactions etc. That part was intentional.

There's no benefit or wisdom to our current lag.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Time to barricade the Spit and Roseville bridges again. If we can keep the diseased morons out, the Northern Beaches can have Christmas
Now, now. I like to visit my relatives for Xmas that live on the Northern Beaches.
It is much easier to go via Belrose and Frenchs Forest and avoid those barricaded bridges all together.

I haven't left the door apart from meeting the strong demands of the cat lord of the house for premium cat food.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
yeah i dunno about the whole Kev thing. old Rudd seems to be grasping at things for attention in a bid to stay relevant IMO. ScoMo might be a muppet, but he's not the only one running the country. Theres a whole cabinet of them
Nah man, the advocate assures me it's true.

And yes, ScoMo does have a cabinet full of Muppets. They'd fuck up going to a brewery and leave any brothel with cash still in their pockets.

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Theres a whole cabinet of them
i dont see a whole lot of talent in that mob. I'm hoping there's some cynical but very competent sir humphrey types actually running the show. lots of yes scott, of course scott, go away and let us actually get things done scott.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
To me it ties in a bit with the logical disconnect in the discussion around travel exemptions etc for people who are vaccinated - evidence is that vaccinated people can still catch and transmit COVID (albeit at reduced rates), so exempting them from border closures or other restrictions doesn't actually make sense while there are still huge swathes of unvaccinated population.
Vaccinated people can still catch and spread at reduced rates, and mortality may be lower....with the current variants. I think the border closures are logically taking into consideration the unknown possibilities of mutant strains we don't know about yet. Part of that vaccine testing hubub is the need for evidence of long term efficacy over the virus and its variants.
I mean we're there now, we're watching, so I'm sure we will have a clear view over the next 6-12 months

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Did hear on Triple J news this morning that 300(?) defence force personnel have been deployed to Sydney to assist police at the request of the NSW State Government.
This always has me on edge...while I like the idea of numbers on the ground to keep things under control, I dislike the military more than I dislike the cops. It also throws a bunch of kindling on the fires of conspiracy nutters and their fear of autocracy.

moorey

call me Mia
This always has me on edge...while I like the idea of numbers on the ground to keep things under control, I dislike the military more than I dislike the cops. It also throws a bunch of kindling on the fires of conspiracy nutters and their fear of autocracy.
Your solution is…..

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The key benefit of vaccination is in reducing hospitalisation/mortality rates, so it's really not until "everyone" (or near enough to) is vaccinated that we can afford to have higher confidence in living without movement/density/mask-wearing restrictions.
Agree.. But we aren’t going to get 100% take up unfortunately..
I just can’t understand why the gov continues to stimulate the shit out of residential construction when it should re-direct trades to building covid/respiratory specfic hospitals and quarantine facilities. We can’t have our health system overwhelmed with people who won’t get vaccinated. User pays private/public covid hospitals/quarantine will encourage vaccine uptake as well. We are then left with facilities ready for any future pandemics..
Utopian idea I know and will never happen under shitmo’s gov..

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
cannot recall where i found the link yesterday from a cycling org confirming under the latest rules we have to wear a mask whilst riding, but MP has a different take. standard policy of unclear messaging continues to apply however

todays local MP:
The general exemptions from wearing a mask continue to apply (e.g. a mask is not required if a person is doing strenuous exercise).

yesterdays premier on these same updates:
"If you step foot outside your household, you need to wear a mask at all times. It doesn't matter where it is," Ms Berejiklian said.
"State-wide, it's clear when you need to wear a mask and if you don't, you will be penalised and they'll go up from $200 to $500.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Agree.. But we aren’t going to get 100% take up unfortunately..
Yep, and that's always the case, just meant I think we'll find the threshold is going to be more like 80% than 60% (for example).
We can’t have our health system overwhelmed with people who won’t get vaccinated. User pays private/public covid hospitals/quarantine will encourage vaccine uptake as well.
Honestly, I don't think actual vaccine avoidance is that high. Yes there are polls stating 30% hesitancy etc, but when push finally comes to shove and we have adequate Pfizer/Moderna floating around, and clear incentives/disincentives for getting/not getting vaxxed, I doubt the actual non-participation numbers will be anywhere near that. Sketchy messaging around AZ and adverse reactions etc has played a big part in my mind.

Also, we have universal healthcare. It's a fucking wonderful thing despite the system's inefficiencies etc. It also looks after people who smoke cigarettes, drink to excess, don't exercise, ride MTB, or make any number of clearly poor choices regarding their own health despite those choices. We shouldn't be advocating for people who choose not to get vaccinated to be treated any differently, no matter how nuts we think they are.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Did hear on Triple J news this morning that 300(?) defence force personnel have been deployed to Sydney to assist police at the request of the NSW State Government.
I know it's probably for prosaic logistics measures, but the dark twisted part of my soul is still hoping it's for deploying M1 Abrams and IFVs to the next anti-lockdown flogathon.