COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Minlak

custom titis
Nobody even knows the true numbers anymore - Testing centres are over run - people are turned away and people are not getting tested due to the hassle of actually getting tested.
I very accurately predict using complex mathematical equations and social media sites - That the number is probably 50% higher than we know.

And you all ridiculed Trump when he said we only have more cases cause we test more.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Nobody even knows the true numbers anymore - Testing centres are over run - people are turned away and people are not getting tested due to the hassle of actually getting tested.
I very accurately predict using complex mathematical equations and social media sites - That the number is probably 50% higher than we know.
Really ? Like in the UK a year ago ?

According to our resident data collection guru, they allow for these unreported cases and amend figures :)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Yep. We've gone full retard alright.

In addition, it looks like PPE shortages again. No planning, no leadership and no learning from past mistakes. Pretty sad really.

I'll be in the bog roll isle madly stocking up...
Ive stocked up when there havent been shortages. I have literally hundreds of rolls in the garrage now lol. MIght i suggest getting a fe other things like 20kg bags of rice incase we end up having serious logistics issues. NOthing wrong with picking up some cans of various things each time you go shopping for a "just in case" moment. Prepping-lite

moorey

call me Mia
NOthing wrong with picking up some cans of various things each time you go shopping for a "just in case" moment. Prepping-lite
Except when enough do the ‘just in case’ hording, it sparks the stupid panic, and strips the shelves, leaving those without the luxury of stocking up to suffer. Fuck that.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Except when enough do the ‘just in case’ hording, it sparks the stupid panic, and strips the shelves, leaving those without the luxury of stocking up to suffer. Fuck that.
a couple of cans in the weekly shop for the last year is acceptible IMO. Im not suggesting people buy out the bean shelf each time they go in.

moorey

call me Mia

And you all ridiculed Trump when he said we only have more cases cause we test more.
No….they have more cases even whether they test or not (and the point was, he was halting testing to try to fudge the numbers, not struggling to test). Currently, 1/3 of all new worldwide cases are in the US.
I ridiculed Trump for many things. Every one of them were valid and justified.

moorey

call me Mia
a couple of cans in the weekly shop for the last year is acceptible IMO. Im not suggesting people buy out the bean shelf each time they go in.
If 1/2 the population does that, the other 1/2 is fucked. There’s never been actually substantial shortages…other than what was caused by people stocking up.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No….they have more cases even whether they test or not (and the point was, he was halting testing to try to fudge the numbers, not struggling to test).
Can we be sure that our inspired leaders haven't underfunded testing etc and stopped planning for moments like this by accident?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
If 1/2 the population does that, the other 1/2 is fucked. There’s never been actually substantial shortages…other than what was caused by people stocking up.
to be fair, a gradual increase of outbound goods at stores should be captured in their regular stocktake and accounted for in subsequent ordering. Like they do with popular items or during Christmas.

If half the population started doing that immediately today, then yes, what you describe is a foreseeable outcome. In truth though, half the population won't do this immediately or today. The shortages we've experienced recently were because people weren't doing this, and small numbers of the population were buying out large quantities of stuff straight up in short periods of time - i.e. panic buying.. We've both seen peoples trolleys during this time, you know it's true.

My weekly shop is my standard weekly shop which only buys the stuff for my planned menu + a can of beans, tomatoes, a pack of pasta and sometimes some other veg or packet of something more than what I've planned for. Hardly panic buying and hardly immoral. Its the equivalent of seeing four items on special while you're out and getting double what you planned on buying to save a few bucks. Personally, I'd rather be prepared for any medium to long term shortage and be in apposition to perhaps help some one I care about who didn't think to do so.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Can we be sure that our inspired leaders haven't underfunded testing etc and stopped planning for moments like this by accident?
You've had one too many conversations with your Slavik mate. It's okay... I have one or two I know too. apparently the banks were supposed to collapse a month after all this shit started. At least all that cash has added some lumbar support to my mattress.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You've had one too many conversations with your Slavik mate. It's okay... I have one or two I know too. apparently the banks were supposed to collapse a month after all this shit started. At least all that cash has added some lumbar support to my mattress.
Ha! I know plenty of those guys. One has been telling me to sell my real estate for years because it's a false economy.

I mean more in line with Trump's number fishing technique.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The AFP will be visiting your home if you keep that talk up son. :D

I know a few Yugoes here, and I don't even try to figure them out anymore. A close family member married into theirs, 2 of the brothers were groomsmen and they duked it out at the reception in front of a 500 people crowd.

Two others of the family, quite intelligent people with good jobs refuse to get the jab, I'd say one of them possibly will lose their job over it and has a family of 5.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Fuck. Looks like I’m ditching my Christmas presents and packing my bags full of free NHS RAT kits. I could be making more money than a drug mule.

Joking aside, there’s been a bit of scarcity to home testing kits here in the last week but it’s still possible to order and pick up a pack of 7 within a day or two if you’re persistent with the NHS website. They’re still free though and given the fact they were dishing them out at football stadiums just a few days ago makes it seem like the scarcity is due to logjams at certain points in the supply chain.

PCR tests are harder to get than before. They’ve moved to an appointment basis in many areas (Glasgow being one of them).
The caveats are that you shouldn’t apply for one unless you are symptomatic or high-risk.

I wound up getting one today as I’ve been sick as a dog for about 11 days now (although I’m on the mend now) and while the Rapid Antigen tests I’ve been doing have all turned up negative, I was still waking up every morning with fluid on my lungs and the daunting prospect of having to show negative on a PCR test before I fly home in a week and a half has spurred me to at least get confirmation or a timeframe of infection in case I need to get medical clearance to fly.

Anyhoo, one thing I noticed with the drive through test centres here is that they’ve gone self service. You still have to book a timeframe for your appointment but instead of queuing up single-file and a nurse doing swabs for everyone in the car, they give you enough kits for everyone in the car and you park up, swab your own throat/nostrils/peehole etc. then place the swab in the sterilised jar and drop it in with the collection person at the other end of the car park.

It’s a pretty good system as they can process heaps more carloads per hour than the single-file method I’ve been used to in VIC.

moorey

call me Mia
to be fair, a gradual increase of outbound goods at stores should be captured in their regular stocktake and accounted for in subsequent ordering. Like they do with popular items or during Christmas.

If half the population started doing that immediately today, then yes, what you describe is a foreseeable outcome. In truth though, half the population won't do this immediately or today. The shortages we've experienced recently were because people weren't doing this, and small numbers of the population were buying out large quantities of stuff straight up in short periods of time - i.e. panic buying.. We've both seen peoples trolleys during this time, you know it's true.

My weekly shop is my standard weekly shop which only buys the stuff for my planned menu + a can of beans, tomatoes, a pack of pasta and sometimes some other veg or packet of something more than what I've planned for. Hardly panic buying and hardly immoral. Its the equivalent of seeing four items on special while you're out and getting double what you planned on buying to save a few bucks. Personally, I'd rather be prepared for any medium to long term shortage and be in apposition to perhaps help some one I care about who didn't think to do so.
TLDR. You do you, mate.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Fuck. Looks like I’m ditching my Christmas presents and packing my bags full of free NHS RAT kits. I could be making more money than a drug mule.

Joking aside, there’s been a bit of scarcity to home testing kits here in the last week but it’s still possible to order and pick up a pack of 7 within a day or two if you’re persistent with the NHS website. They’re still free though and given the fact they were dishing them out at football stadiums just a few days ago makes it seem like the scarcity is due to logjams at certain points in the supply chain.

PCR tests are harder to get than before. They’ve moved to an appointment basis in many areas (Glasgow being one of them).
The caveats are that you shouldn’t apply for one unless you are symptomatic or high-risk.

I wound up getting one today as I’ve been sick as a dog for about 11 days now (although I’m on the mend now) and while the Rapid Antigen tests I’ve been doing have all turned up negative, I was still waking up every morning with fluid on my lungs and the daunting prospect of having to show negative on a PCR test before I fly home in a week and a half has spurred me to at least get confirmation or a timeframe of infection in case I need to get medical clearance to fly.

Anyhoo, one thing I noticed with the drive through test centres here is that they’ve gone self service. You still have to book a timeframe for your appointment but instead of queuing up single-file and a nurse doing swabs for everyone in the car, they give you enough kits for everyone in the car and you park up, swab your own throat/nostrils/peehole etc. then place the swab in the sterilised jar and drop it in with the collection person at the other end of the car park.

It’s a pretty good system as they can process heaps more carloads per hour than the single-file method I’ve been used to in VIC.
self serve sounds like a great solution.