COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

moorey

call me Mia
The issue we have with delta is that even if we could physically fasten down the anti-mask fuckwits to the floorboards with a nail gun (an impractical approach, I agree but still possibly worth consideration), we’ve still got hundreds of thousands of essential workers who have to interact with each other daily. That then has us relying on PPE as our last line of defence which has never been foolproof- even more so now that the virus is more infectious.

I’ll admit it’s not impossible (Taiwan have almost managed it with their latest outbreak although they acted very swiftly and have an extremely high rate of compliance with social distancing and lockdown directives) but it is extremely difficult and to paraphrase a famous historical quote, the virus just has to get lucky once whereas we have to be lucky every time.
Compliance…and will of the people….
There’s our Achilles heel no matter what is imposed.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It's the same reason that Israel is getting stung - they vaccinated 80% but only 80% of eligible people which equates to about 57% of the population *. The fact that no one got a booster and the vaccine started to wane about the time Delta hit...

Which reminds me, what plan does the man without a hose have for booster vaccine shots?

* Numbers are probably wrong but the gist of it is correct.
Booster? That fuckwits can't even roll out the first jab, let alone the second! How the fuck could he have a plan for the booster? Well you know...private school boys club aside.

Compliance…and will of the people….
There’s our Achilles heel no matter what is imposed.
I think we have seen the will of Sydney already maxxxed out after...what 4 days? Maybe 5, but then the weekend came.

LPG

likes thicc birds
We should transition to a 4 days on, 4 days off work model with businesses having 2 completely separate shifts. Every week your start day shifts a day back so sometimes your days off line up with the weekend, sometimes it doesn't. It means that you halve the potential exposures which is pretty important to dropping the rate of transmission R.

moorey

call me Mia
We should transition to a 4 days on, 4 days off work model with businesses having 2 completely separate shifts. Every week your start day shifts a day back so sometimes your days off line up with the weekend, sometimes it doesn't. It means that you halve the potential exposures which is pretty important to dropping the rate of transmission R.
Who is 'we'?

LPG

likes thicc birds
Who is 'we'?
Do I really have to spell it out? Residents of Nsw, Vic, Tas and Wa where post codes end with odd numbers or residents of Sa, NT and Qld where post codes end with even. ACT remains the same as current for all post codes.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I already work this way, it's awesome.

I don't want to share it with everyone yet though, keep working mon-fri and leave my trails empty during the week please

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Do I really have to spell it out? Residents of Nsw, Vic, Tas and Wa where post codes end with odd numbers or residents of Sa, NT and Qld where post codes end with even. ACT remains the same as current for all post codes.
Yeesh.
I mean work wise....it's not feasible for most at this point. Not without a ton of other big infrastructure and societal changes.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
4/4 definitely works for some folk but I think it would be extremely impractical for the majority of people. The first big hurdle would be schools. Are they on a 4/4 system too? If so you’ll need twice as many teachers to cover the split classes.
If not then there’s day-care child-minding etc. to be considered as working parents are going to find it harder to sync their work hours with being there for the kids.

Other work fronts require 100% capacity (or close to it) when they’re in operation. Splitting and spreading the load isn’t always possible, particularly in jobs that have times of abnormal peak activity (agricultural harvests, power station shutdowns etc)

As for basing it on postcode, that’s entirely unfeasible. People tend to live near where they work so you’ve got an automatic imbalance there.

In rural areas, entire towns often share the same postcode as well so there’s a big spanner in the works as it’s going to force local services to be open for as many as 4 days a week!

Last edited: