COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I'll also add that the argument for current drug testing criteria in the work place is actually a lot weaker than the argument for a requirement for vaccination against an infectious disease.

Having a couple of spliffs a week prior to starting back at work may trip you up in a random drug test and cost you your job even though those sweet, sweet jazz cigarettes will have had no effect on you or your colleagues ability to perform work.
Whereas introducing a case of the lurgy that could potentially wipe out half the workforce for a couple of weeks (or worse), is something that should probably be frowned upon at least.
Marijuana is tricky, no one gets the testing right. Even pupil tests are subject to abuse. Guys I know did their baseline tests in a suboptimal state so they could still get on site when zonked.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Marijuana is tricky, no one gets the testing right. Even pupil tests are subject to abuse. Guys I know did their baseline tests in a suboptimal state so they could still get on site when zonked.
I’m interested to see what company policies are in places like Canada where it’s effectively legal across the country. The last thing you want is someone coming on site baked, especially if they’re operating heavy machinery but the length of time it stays in your system means that people can be unfairly penalised for legal behaviour that is far, far removed from the work site

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We get randomly tested at my place, alcohol must be 0.00 and no non-negative drug readings (corporate bullshit name for positive :rolleyes:)

Any persons under suspicion or those who have had a non-neg before get tested every time, the rest is random unless nightshift then we all get tested.

Not sure how they will be able to force employees to get the corona jab, there are a lot of strange people that run power plants, years of being fried by electricity, mercury and chemicals, I reckon the uptake on the vaccine would only be 50-60%.

Minlak

custom titis
Currently the reception of the Covid Vaccine in any form is voluntary - it would be discrimination and illegal to base any decisions you make regarding employees / restriction of travel / admission to events etc based on ones Covid vaccine choices - and I would even suggest it would fall into the real of possible lawsuits if you even ask the question. You would be surprised at the questions you are not allowed to ask potential employees in an interview.
Now jobs that rely on a medical examination to obtain I could see the Covid question being allowed and taken into consideration as an overall health indicator for the fitness of you to work.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I'll also add that the argument for current drug testing criteria in the work place is actually a lot weaker than the argument for a requirement for vaccination against an infectious disease.

Having a couple of spliffs a week prior to starting back at work may trip you up in a random drug test and cost you your job even though those sweet, sweet jazz cigarettes will have had no effect on you or your colleagues ability to perform work.
Whereas introducing a case of the lurgy that could potentially wipe out half the workforce for a couple of weeks (or worse), is something that should probably be frowned upon at least.
Different risks I think. An intoxicated operator on an excavator could kill someone directly because of their actions. Can a person be held legally responsible for something a virus in their body does, whether vaccinated or not? These are all questions flying around in my head at the moment. As we currently understand it, a covid vaccinated person could still spread the virus, albeit, less so than an unvaccinated person.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As we currently understand it, a covid vaccinated person could still spread the virus, albeit, less so than an unvaccinated person.
Yes but the vaccinated won’t get sick enough to get hospitalised and overwhelm the health system.. That’s why you need over 70% jabbed then transmission will reduce across the board (herd immunity)..

ozzybmx

And someone in Goulbourn too. Canberra has been pretending the whole thing isn’t happening for ages, we are primed for an outbreak.
Not good !

I have not planned anything or hoped something would go ahead in 18 months, but the Melrose Fat Tyre Festival is on the June long weekend.

Heading up for over a week on Monday (4 days time) would be shitty if we had a cloud hanging over SA.

ozzybmx

Yes but the vaccinated won’t get sick enough to get hospitalised and overwhelm the health system.. That’s why you need over 70% jabbed then transmission will reduce across the board (herd immunity)..
Australia has been pretty casual about rolling it out.

My missus works 'full time' (25-30hrs a week :rolleyes:) with dementia patients in a nursing home, has done for many years. Still no sign of her getting her vax.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Different risks I think. An intoxicated operator on an excavator could kill someone directly because of their actions. Can a person be held legally responsible for something a virus in their body does, whether vaccinated or not? These are all questions flying around in my head at the moment. As we currently understand it, a covid vaccinated person could still spread the virus, albeit, less so than an unvaccinated person.
With vaccinations it's not so much a question of personal legal responsibility but rather one of risk management. Most accidents are indeed accidental but companies still spend millions safeguarding themselves at every level, whether it's at the top of the hierarchy with planning and procedures or at the frontline with PPE and work practices. Vaccination is just another safeguard and it's one that's already commonplace in a host of industries for other viruses and bugs.

As for legal accountability for bringing the virus into the workplace, that's probably a no-go. You can't prove there was specific intent and with a virus where people can be asymptomatic, you can't prove they were negligent either as they may have had no knowledge they were carrying it. It's also difficult and ultimately pointless to establish a clear chain of infection so that you could apportion blame. Instead, companies have to focus all their efforts in keeping the virus out and hoping for the best.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
It would go a long way in explaining why it's recently been spreading like wildfire in places like Singapore, Malaysia and Taiwan where they've historically been much more socially responsible when it comes to COVID management
Yup, frustrating, we need to have HQ facilities away from capital cities. How many times now has it jumped from HQ and spread to the community. Hope they can get a lid on it and Vic doesn’t end up with another massive lockdown period.

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt

My missus works 'full time' (25-30hrs a week :rolleyes:) with dementia patients in a nursing home, has done for many years. Still no sign of her getting her vax.
They are in a hurry now in Vic :)..
The feds have stuffed it up royaly. Hopefully the rest of the country follows vic where health care workers can walk in (today) and get a priority jab over the plebs.. Even though it’s the fed’s job.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm no expert in airborne disease, but I've always thought a Hotel with air circulating round the building was the worst possible option for quarantine.
Am I missing something?

In most offices you can almost guarantee if a person sneezes, everyone will be doing similar over a 2-3 week period.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

Is she required to have a flu shot to work there?
I know that the nursing homes that I know of in Tassie require their staff to have had the yearly flu shot.

ozzybmx

Is she required to have a flu shot to work there?
I know that the nursing homes that I know of in Tassie require their staff to have had the yearly flu shot.
Yes, she got the flu shot when it became available this year, around 2 months ago IIRC.