COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
State Government is now paying us $1k to rent our cars out here it Tas. (I shit you not) Jayne and I were legit about to go into the car rental business until this fuggin inconsiderate Covid popped up in Victoria again and put another stop to the majority of our tourist dollar. bloody rude.
Yeah, I had to organise Airport Transfers for my recent jolly to Derby which at $125 each way for a single person seemed a bit steep on the one hand but a bargain compared to the $1100 that the ironically named 'Budget' Rentacar quoted me for the week!

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m genuinely curious about where you’re going with this. What is putting mosypeople off getting vaxxed other than social media scare campaigns?
Maybe a tiny proportion of people have genuine argument not to. Even religious objections are generally only applied when it’s convenient to.
We really only need a critical mass to make vaccinations effective. I worry we aren’t going to reach that.
The irony isn’t lost on me that the people most vocal about lockdowns etc are the ones refusing to ever get vaccinated.
It wasn’t meant as a shit stir post, I am genuinely interested in what a post vax Australia looks like..
I am not sure why there is a big chunk of the population who say they won’t have either vaccine. i gather it’s a combo social media, mainstream media (AZ) and that the vaccines were developed so fast compared to any others in medical history..
I am concerned we won’t get to herd immunity with the current strategy. But if you look at America the cdc is changing the rules for the fully vaccinated ie no masks or social distancing. Combine that with international travel and other privileges getting returned and there might just be the motivator for everyone but the hardcore anti-vax to get jabbed..
Just speculating, imagine in Aust (once a lot are vaxxed) the gov said fully vaccinated people are longer required to follow lockdown rules or state border closures? It would be one tempting carrot..
When It comes to companies I think the choice to vax or not is going to be even more difficult. I can’t imagine companies allowing employees to face the public, travel, meetings, work onsite etc without a jab. I doubt they will be sacking people but maybe some people’s roles will change significantly from what they do currently.
Again the above is speculation, but what I am pretty certain of is those that are vaccinated will have more privileges than those who refuse it. (Once it has been offered to everyone).

Last edited:

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
While it might seem like a sudden imposition to alarmist fuckwits who get their news from Facebook, requirements to be vaccinated and/or take prophylactic medications for work and travel are not a new thing. There are a whole host of countries in Central Africa that you can't travel to/from without proof of a yellow fever jab and closer to home, I recently worked over in PNG on a site where the owner/operator insisted on piss-testing all the expat staff to ensure they were taking anti-malarial medication.

The legal precedents for such actions go back decades so good luck to any crusading anti-vaxxing armchair Perry Masons who think they'll have the law on their side.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
While it might seem like a sudden imposition to alarmist fuckwits who get their news from Facebook, requirements to be vaccinated and/or take prophylactic medications for work and travel are not a new thing. There are a whole host of countries in Central Africa that you can't travel to/from without proof of a yellow fever jab and closer to home, I recently worked over in PNG on a site where the owner/operator insisted on piss-testing all the expat staff to ensure they were taking anti-malarial medication.

The legal precedents for such actions go back decades so good luck to any crusading anti-vaxxing armchair Perry Masons who think they'll have the law on their side.
"nah, nah! I'm a sovereign citizen! The government is an illegal corporation. Their laws don't apply to me..."

You mean those types of people

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
"nah, nah! I'm a sovereign citizen! The government is an illegal corporation. Their laws don't apply to me..."

You mean those types of people

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk
Once again, I encourage people to look up The Free Town/Free State experiment and ‘a libertarian walks into a bear’ :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I can’t imagine companies allowing employees to face the public, travel, meetings, work onsite etc without a jab.
Oh you do make me laugh...think of all those people currently working in minimum wage, casual or contractor, customer service roles who have faced the public at every stage of this pandemic because their other option is to starve. Do you think Woolworths or maccas give a shit about the welfare of their employees?

As for your curiosity, I share a similar one. The vaccines don't give outright immunity, but are being seen as a key to facilitating international travel. Once those borders open mindless Australians who have been vaccinated are going to be rushing to any country that will take them. There's currently places that are open for tourism because that is the dominant aspect of their economy. Now there are plenty of places on this abet where people won't be getting vaccinated for economic reasons that people will visit, potentially contract the virus, and then bring it home...where those who have not been vaccinated will potentially be next in line. That will be interesting to watch play out.

I'm currently not in any sort of risk category for the virus so have decided to wait until those with a more urgent need are vaccinated before I get mine. Am I silly for waiting? Maybe...I figure the government is having a lot of trouble arranging supply, what if they fuck it up even further while I'm trying to play the patient citizen?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh you do make me laugh...think of all those people currently working in minimum wage, casual or contractor, customer service roles who have faced the public at every stage of this pandemic because their other option is to starve. Do you think Woolworths or maccas give a shit about the welfare of their employees?
Think you misunderstood.. It’s not primarily about the employee welfare.. It’s about the corporate image they portray. Can’t have your antivax employee representing the company getting the blame for spreading cooties 19 around..
Can very much see the low paid coping the full wrath of “no jab, no job”..

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Think you misunderstood.. It’s not primarily about the employee welfare.. It’s about the corporate image they portray. Can’t have your antivax employee representing the company getting the blame for spreading cooties 19 around..
How can an employer compel an employee to share their medical history?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dunno.. My wife just got a job with an asx listed medical company in the corporate comms dept. Nothing to do with patients or hospitals. She is required to show that all her vaccinations are up to date. If they aren’t they will provide any missing ones.. If she doesn’t agree, no job.. If an asx lisited company can do it I am sure it must be legal, somehow..

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
By making it a requirement of the job?

My medical history has been questioned by employers on many an occasion. Annoyingly it's usually the medical history of weekends where I've been away at raves and festivals and the like.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oh I understand what you're saying, I just disagree that they will care that much. I'm sure in a corporate office environment nothing's might be different, for me they already are. At one of my (quite large) employers you couldn't even see someone in the head office for most of this pandemic. Then it was all about the screens, appointments, answering the questions etc...trace that down to the bottom end of the chain of command and we didn't even have support to do cashless transactions and at times struggled to get sufficient hygiene products to maintain a safe working environment. Then mix in the frustratingly low level of personal hygiene so many people have, uuuuuggggggghhhhhhh.

Anyway I'm sure that palaces like Coles or Woolworths (just to use easy examples) will have a very different set of rules at the head office than in store.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
By making it a requirement of the job?

My medical history has been questioned by employers on many an occasion. Annoyingly it's usually the medical history of weekends where I've been away at raves and festivals and the like.
Drug and alcohol testing is quite a different kettle of fish to this thought though. No?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Is there any word on when under 40's are going to be able to access a vaccine yet?

Kerplunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there any word on when under 40's are going to be able to access a vaccine yet?
Think when the extra pfizer arrives ~ 3 months..
Can try your luck getting AZ, some places will do it if they have extra from appointment no shows.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Drug and alcohol testing is quite a different kettle of fish to this thought though. No?
Not really. In submitting to a drug test you have to sign consent for your employer to know certain aspects about your personal health. While they may be looking specifically for illicit substances you still have to declare whether you're taking anything else that may or may not have an effect on the test. This means that the company doctor - and whoever else is privy to the info - will know if you're taking medication for high-blood pressure, low-blood pressure, diabetes, depression, erectile dysfunction, gout, the heebie-jeebies and the vapours (to name but a few)

Company medicals can be even more invasive. Hearing tests, vision and color-blindness checks, spirometry, blood samples, urine tests, basic fitness assessments and full pokings and proddings from a doctor are all commonplace in industries such as Oil and Gas, Mining etc.

Basically, if you want the job and it's not something that could be considered excessively invasive by a court of law, then they can ask you to do it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Not really. In submitting to a drug test you have to sign consent for your employer to know certain aspects about your personal health. While they may be looking specifically for illicit substances you still have to declare whether you're taking anything else that may or may not have an effect on the test. This means that the company doctor - and whoever else is privy to the info - will know if you're taking medication for high-blood pressure, low-blood pressure, diabetes, depression, erectile dysfunction, gout, the heebie-jeebies and the vapours (to name but a few)

Company medicals can be even more invasive. Hearing tests, vision and color-blindness checks, spirometry, blood samples, urine tests, basic fitness assessments and full pokings and proddings from a doctor are all commonplace in industries such as Oil and Gas, Mining etc.

Basically, if you want the job and it's not something that could be considered excessively invasive by a court of law, then they can ask you to do it.
Absolutely this, had a change of ownership = new medical. One test, I forget details, included slowing the heart while stuff was checked. Chance of dead >0 etc. Physical tests to determine probability of injury, even for non manual staff because you might hand someone a rattle gun etc. Balance tests... Do you share your dick etc etc. Was interesting. Results could be sent to personal GP on request so I did that. Some algorithm was applied to the data. What was done with the results? No idea. I kept my job. Have heard of worse too.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
I'll also add that the argument for current drug testing criteria in the work place is actually a lot weaker than the argument for a requirement for vaccination against an infectious disease.

Having a couple of spliffs a week prior to starting back at work may trip you up in a random drug test and cost you your job even though those sweet, sweet jazz cigarettes will have had no effect on you or your colleagues ability to perform work.
Whereas introducing a case of the lurgy that could potentially wipe out half the workforce for a couple of weeks (or worse), is something that should probably be frowned upon at least.