COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The old-school approach to quarantine has always been to have the facilities themselves remote or isolated. If they really upped the pay I'm sure there would be a queue of workers prepared to make big $$$ for extended periods of work in a remote, isolated location.

moorey

call me Mia
What's the alternative? If you work in a medi hotel you have to stay in the hotel bubble indefinitely? Can't see too many people signing on for that gig.
Yep. Most also undoubtedly have families of their own to provide for. In the couple of weeks that we had active cases in my wife's ICU, she would come home via the back, shower, change and completely avoid us where possible.....but we know we were all still risk. It wasn't really possible to have her staying on site between shifts. This situation isn't that different. It's different if you sign up to something like that and are able to manage it, not for regular healthcare workers thrown into it.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
The old-school approach to quarantine has always been to have the facilities themselves remote or isolated. If they really upped the pay I'm sure there would be a queue of workers prepared to make big $$$ for extended periods of work in a remote, isolated location.
Are you suggesting we use that tropical holiday resort that cost a mere $185 million to reopen for something useful. Foolishness...

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Finally, we have the answer to transitioning away from coal mining.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
A large family
A prisoner
Aged Care
Hotel Quarantine
Possibly a shopping centre
Maybe the Christmas Pageant

If no one shouted BINGO! after that then I feel the effort was wasted

moorey

call me Mia
Just been looking at some of the suburbs involved.

If by shared communion goblet you mean bucket bong, you may be on to something........

I know. Generalisation. I know some lovely people from the Northern suburbs.
Obviously, I did.
They aren't that lovely

Minlak

custom titis
This is going to keep happening until we have a vaccine or herd immunity or something - These out breaks suck but its the new way we live for the time being. The PM said we were all committed top opening all the borders for Christmas then adds except WA lol so that's not all is it. I think if you are planning for Christmas your plans should all include what are we doing when we cant go anywhere or where we planned.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
This is going to keep happening until we have a vaccine or herd immunity or something - These out breaks suck but its the new way we live for the time being. The PM said we were all committed top opening all the borders for Christmas then adds except WA lol so that's not all is it. I think if you are planning for Christmas your plans should all include what are we doing when we cant go anywhere or where we planned.
I agree.

But I still volunteer you to tell Mrs George.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Just been looking at some of the suburbs involved.

If by shared communion goblet you mean bucket bong, you may be on to something........

I know. Generalisation. I know some lovely people from the Northern suburbs.
Moses and his burning bush are not part of the Christmas story.

Sure, throw money at the training, the PPE and give the workers a hardship allowance on top of their salaries. However to really lower the risk, workers would have to stay completely in the bubble, but they can't do that indefinitely. You could move to an exaggerated FIFO style roster of staff, where they do say two weeks on, and three or four off but then there's still the issue that when they are off they come into contact with their family, and with the previous two weeks of potential continuous exposure they are likely more risky. As was shown in Melbourne and now in Radelaide it only takes one...
Look at the shit FIFO workers endure do little more than a sizeable pay packet. I'm pretty sure there is plenty of eligible workers that would take the job for That kind of pay packet.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
We were both off from 28th Dec for a month, missus was having a tanty because we have nothing planned or booked. I told her we would just have to play it by what's going on at the time and wing-it this year. I explained that borders can shut overnight.

Tas, NT and WA border now closed to South Aussies.

Edit: QLD on the verge of border closure to SA

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think we (all of us) should pull our heads in and have a big serious rethink about events like Christmas. I love a good holiday! I love getting away and doing stuff. I also love seeing friends and family and having a bit of fun. But...maybe this year we all need to forgo that kind of thing a little and take the pandemic a little more seriously.

Minlak

custom titis
We were both off from 28th Dec for a month, missus was having a tanty because we have nothing planned or booked. I told her we would just have to play it by what's going on at the time and wing-it this year. I explained that borders can shut overnight.

Tas, NT and WA border now closed to South Aussies.

The real cost in making plans is the quarantine process if you just cant get back across the border in time from where you are or don't hear in time. We were in NZ on the very first lockdown and literally had 5 hrs to get back to AUS to avoid 14 Day quarantine - Lucky for us they were doing home quarantine at the time - But now we cancelled all plans for our 2 weeks off and will just wing it. Luckily we have a camper and stuff if we do decide to try anything.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
QLD has closed up shop.
My sister was due to visit from Cairns.

Honestly it was bound to happen.
I've not noticed anyone giving two shits here in Adelaide.

Wife and I have been ever cautious about keeping our own personal space and have left several cafe's without even sitting down in the last few weeks because we noticed that tables weren't being wiped and customers were not given any space.

I'm not worried about me, but my wife and 3 month old daughter won't cope well with losing their outings

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I think we (all of us) should pull our heads in and have a big serious rethink about events like Christmas. I love a good holiday! I love getting away and doing stuff. I also love seeing friends and family and having a bit of fun. But...maybe this year we all need to forgo that kind of thing a little and take the pandemic a little more seriously.
100% agree. Getting the plandemic and "I have suffered enough me me me" crowds to go along with that will be the challenge.

moorey

call me Mia
You're up against people like my mum who refuse to let Dictator Dan Andrews steal Christmas. Normally sane people, who haven't suffered an ounce during covid, living in country Vic, but still thinking this is somehow just an unnecessary inconvenience.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
QLD has closed up shop.
My sister was due to visit from Cairns.

Honestly it was bound to happen.
I've not noticed anyone giving two shits here in Adelaide.
I drove home from work on Saturday night, straight down through the city... bloody pageant was on. 25kph and people everywhere. Was sitting at the lights on Nth Terrace and there was probably 100 people shoulder to shoulder waiting to cross, I remember thinking social distancing was non existent.